Principle of justice

Cyperium

I'm always me
Valued Senior Member
The opposite of justice is justice, justice is therefor true in itself.

Cause if everyone were treated unjust then it would still be just.

Nothing cannot swallow it, the idea of justice will still exist even if it weren't applied (cause then it would automatically be applied).

The idea of justice must have existed for all time.

Originally posted by Cyperium

Sorry?
This makes no sense to me at all.
The opposite of justice is injustice.
If everyone were treated unjustly, things may be equal in some respect, but it would still be injustice to all.

Are you equating "fair and equal treatment" with "justice"?

Are you equating "fair and equal treatment" with "justice"?
Yes I am, the meaning of justice in Sweden is applied both to "justice" as in "law and order" and justice as in "equal for everyone" depending on the context, I looked it up and according to the dictionary the term can be used the same way in english.

By justice I mean "Equal for everyone" or "on equal conditions".

Note that justice with my meaning doesn't change meaning when it's opposite (just so you know that I'm not using the divided meanings of the word to prove me right).

Maybe a better word in english would be "fair"?

If everyone were treated unjustly, things may be equal in some respect, but it would still be injustice to all.
Not if everyone were treated unjust, then it's fair because everyone "get's the same thing", it's fair because it's equally unfair.

Last edited:
The opposite of just would still be unjust.

Just (using the definition you intended) would mean "equal for everyone", right?
So the opposite of that would be "not equal for everyone".

Applying your definiton of "just" it would not be possible to treat "everyone" unjustly.
The concept of "equal for everyone" implies you have to take into consideration treatment of each incividual, and if the treatment is equal all around, it is just, if it not equal all around, it would be unjust.

The only way to make that true is to "I'm not using the divided meanings of the word".

For example:
If all people were treated unjustly ("in opposition to the social moral code") then it would justice ("equal treatment for all").

When I think about it justice means the same if it's applied in "law" and in "equal for everyone", justice as in law is used because it is fair and equal for everyone, justice is not the same as "good" though it's still a good word since no one benefits more than anyone else.

Isn't that the meaning of the word no matter what moral you insert into justice, justice is still justice if it treats everyone equally.

lol! and now I replied as you replied! Are we talking around eachother??

Just (using the definition you intended) would mean "equal for everyone", right?
So the opposite of that would be "not equal for everyone".
Yes, but if it's "not equal" to everyone, then no one could do anything that benefit anyone else, and that would make it equal to everyone and thus fair.

If I put it this way, fairness can't be totally lost (in that everyone lost it), cause then it would become fair. It's kind of a circle.

Originally posted by Cyperium

Nothing cannot swallow it, the idea of justice will still exist even if it weren't applied (cause then it would automatically be applied).

The idea of justice must have existed for all time.
----------
M*W: I believe there is a "balance" in the universe. I believe it comes from the positive energy from which the universe was created. I'm not a physicist, but I think the rule about an every action causes a reaction applies. Where there is positive energy, there is no negative energy. Positivity creates a positive reaction. Negativity creates a vacuum and/or a negative reaction. I believe this forms a type of spiritual justice that we may not be able to physically "observe" happening, but we can see the results of it occurring.

M*W: I believe there is a "balance" in the universe. I believe it comes from the positive energy from which the universe was created. I'm not a physicist, but I think the rule about an every action causes a reaction applies. Where there is positive energy, there is no negative energy. Positivity creates a positive reaction. Negativity creates a vacuum and/or a negative reaction. I believe this forms a type of spiritual justice that we may not be able to physically "observe" happening, but we can see the results of it occurring.
I agree with you, I think justice is a building-part of the universe, it's forming a balance where everything should get what it needs, to be able to go to where it wants to go, and do what it wants to do. No part is preferable from anything else, except if the part has earned it. It's also the same as, no point in space is more significant than any other point. There's alot of principles that, to me, seems to lead from justice.

I see the reason why it was moved from Religion to this forum, but I really mean justice in the spiritual sense. It doesn't matter that much though where it is, just thought that it might be an advice to those seeking religious guidance. But I'm no prophet (not that I know anyway), it just looks like something that must be true and therefor fit as a spiritual advice.

Our dictionary defines it as "the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the merited assignment of rewards or punishments."
Note the word "adjustment" with is the same as "adaptability". This priciple of adaptability is the tool in which we evolve, given we are functional. That is, functionality followed by adaptability gives sustainality.
Using what we called the "justice system", we are seeking to express the priniciple of adaptability, fairly adjusting conflicting clams, and assigning rewards and punishement.

Cyperium
Looking at justice in the spiritual sense, we can clearly see it is reflecting the principle of adaptability - one of the underlying Basic Life Priniples, ie. functionality, adaptability, sustainality..

However, our "justice system" has so many flaws in it - it's vulnerability to influence by the rich and the powerful, inaccessibility to the poors, the weak. Given we want justice, where is the "justice" in that?

Our dictionary defines it as "the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the merited assignment of rewards or punishments."
Note the word "adjustment" with is the same as "adaptability". This priciple of adaptability is the tool in which we evolve, given we are functional. That is, functionality followed by adaptability gives sustainality.
Using what we called the "justice system", we are seeking to express the priniciple of adaptability, fairly adjusting conflicting clams, and assigning rewards and punishement.

Cyperium
Looking at justice in the spiritual sense, we can clearly see it is reflecting the principle of adaptability - one of the underlying Basic Life Priniples, ie. functionality, adaptability, sustainality..

However, our "justice system" has so many flaws in it - it's vulnerability to influence by the rich and the powerful, inaccessibility to the poors, the weak. Given we want justice, where is the "justice" in that?
There is little justice in that. The community of humans isn't created by one man only, it's constantly developing by the ideas of different persons with different purpouses, therefor it is non-pure with flaws. But that's because we never know what will happen, it is adapting in a way that depends on situations in the community in that time, we can't allow it to become fixated. By allowing rich people to "get away" with their illegal actions we are stopping the development and making it fixated. Which will hinder us from dealing with future situations (since the methods developed now, is really just a beginning of the methods that will need to be developed in the future).

Sometimes I think it would be best to rebuild everything from the beginning, since it seems to be so hard to change anything (much since we have to change everything in relation to what we change, also since what we change will open unforseen loopholes that the former method had covered).

But I don't think it's possible to start again from scratch, since we have buildt something "smarter" than us where we've covered situations that we didn't think would occur when we first buildt it. And this is simply because of adaptation, adaptation creates things that are smarter than it's original idea by constantly dealing with weak points.

What all are looking for is the idea-supreme, which would in it's beginning have every possible situation covered. And I guess that idea is...adaptation :rolleyes:

I think it's better just to get rid of the bits and pieces that simply doesn't work to achieve what we want to do. The problem is, many people won't let us do that, for doing that will threaten their very own way of existance. Many of us still care too much about themself, but not thinking the larger picture.

Hevene said:
I think it's better just to get rid of the bits and pieces that simply doesn't work to achieve what we want to do. The problem is, many people won't let us do that, for doing that will threaten their very own way of existance. Many of us still care too much about themself, but not thinking the larger picture.
You're right. There aren't any revolutions happening anymore. We could need one.

Hi Cyperium,

Tack sa mycket for those good thoughts.

Of course, I tend to see things a bit differently. I stress the notion that humans have created the idea of justice. There is no concept of justice at play when a lion kills a newborn Thompson's Gazelle. It is not moral; it is not immoral; instead, it's an amoral situation. The same could be said of chimpanzee violence.

"Chimpanzee gang murder is “...marked by a gratuitous cruelty – tearing off pieces of skin, for example, twisting limbs until they break, or drinking a victim’s blood – reminiscent of acts that among humans are regarded as unspeakable crimes during peacetime and atrocities during war.” Wrangham & Peterson, Demonic Males; Apes and the Origins of Human Violence

I certainly wouldn't (or couldn't) disagree that chimps behave in this way, but we must bear in mind that chimpanzee gang murder is only murder because we humans call it murder. I similarly read that packs of male dolphins commonly gang-rape lone female dolphins. It may well sound horrible to us humans, but my point is that these male dolphins are not rapists. Neither are female spiders (that chew the heads from their sexual partners) sex-murderers. All these creatures are amoral.

Despite the fact that humans commonly inflict upon each other the worst evils, the fact remains that we're the ones who have invented the word evil. If humans had not created morality then there would be no such thing as benevolence or wickedness. We've invented this game; we decided what the rules are and we decide who is playing by the rules and who is not.

C.S. Pierce wrote:

"It is necessary that a method should be found by which our beliefs be determined by nothing human, but by some external permanency - by something upon which our thinking has no effect."

I disagree with Pierce. Our most important beliefs arise because of who we are. It is, for example, a fool's errand to search for the source of morality anywhere outside our (metaphorical) hearts.

"Man lives below the senseless stars and writes his meanings in them." Thomas Wolfe

Michael

orthogonal said:
Hi Cyperium,

Tack sa mycket for those good thoughts.
You are valkommen! or more specifically: varsagod

Of course, I tend to see things a bit differently. I stress the notion that humans have created the idea of justice. There is no concept of justice at play when a lion kills a newborn Thompson's Gazelle. It is not moral; it is not immoral; instead, it's an amoral situation. The same could be said of chimpanzee violence.

"Chimpanzee gang murder is “...marked by a gratuitous cruelty – tearing off pieces of skin, for example, twisting limbs until they break, or drinking a victim’s blood – reminiscent of acts that among humans are regarded as unspeakable crimes during peacetime and atrocities during war.” Wrangham & Peterson, Demonic Males; Apes and the Origins of Human Violence

I certainly wouldn't (or couldn't) disagree that chimps behave in this way, but we must bear in mind that chimpanzee gang murder is only murder because we humans call it murder. I similarly read that packs of male dolphins commonly gang-rape lone female dolphins. It may well sound horrible to us humans, but my point is that these male dolphins are not rapists. Neither are female spiders (that chew the heads from their sexual partners) sex-murderers. All these creatures are amoral.

Despite the fact that humans commonly inflict upon each other the worst evils, the fact remains that we're the ones who have invented the word evil. If humans had not created morality then there would be no such thing as benevolence or wickedness. We've invented this game; we decided what the rules are and we decide who is playing by the rules and who is not.
You are right in most of that, but I disagree that we actually invented the game, we have reasons why the rules were "invented".

As long as there is a reason why we do things, then it isn't a invented game, cause the reasons itself, aren't invented by us.

Here you may disagree simply because one of the reason may be that someone used a loophole in the law, and we had to change the law accordingly. Though if no one used the loophole, there would still be one - so the one that used the loophole, can be said to have found the loophole, not invented it. Also the one that fix the loophole must find the correct method to cover it. Though this may seem to be a invention at first, the whole of the law, will take a form of which it had to be (since it is adapting to be better and better), thus the whole cannot be said to be invented. If the whole cannot be said to be invented then each part (which are building the whole) cannot be said to be invented either, but found.

Let's say that each one make a part of the whole of something. No one has ever looked at the whole, they just build what is needed for the whole to work. Then finally everything works perfectly and they look at what the whole looks like, and they see the shape of a perfect circle.

This is of course only my belief. That each perfect function has a perfect form. But I think it's worth to consider.

I also see what you meant by "evil" not existing without us, I don't know about that either. Everything in the universe seems to strive for completness, so "evil" in that sense may be incompletness and disorder. Though it may -or may not- be a felt evil. Evil may also be forces that try to destroy harmony and symmetri.

About the legal system, I think that it will develop in a good way as long as there are good reasons.

Chimpanses doesn't have the intelligence for a legal system, and in that comparance I can see why we would have build ours. But in a way, intelligence may also be an understanding of what to look for, not only a understanding of what to "build". Though intelligence may be in another form, the understanding of how to use what you find to "build". In the long run I think it comes down to that we "find" it though.

C.S. Pierce wrote:

"It is necessary that a method should be found by which our beliefs be determined by nothing human, but by some external permanency - by something upon which our thinking has no effect."

I disagree with Pierce. Our most important beliefs arise because of who we are. It is, for example, a fool's errand to search for the source of morality anywhere outside our (metaphorical) hearts.

"Man lives below the senseless stars and writes his meanings in them." Thomas Wolfe

Michael
I agree more or less with Pierce, for our ideas to become "pure" then we need something that is above the idea, and since we all have the same idea (just different things inside it) then we will never come to a common truth that is true to everybody (except, maybe "we exist", but some doubt that others exist so...well...) - that is if nothing radical happens. I believe that the same principles that we follow can be found everywhere - in case that they are very good, but I still think that we can see the incomplete form of our ideas as well - as I think that each perfect is constantly going through it's own evolution (and we can only see the level on which we are). I think that there are alot to be learned from ourselves also though (don't think that one rules out the other in this case).

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you think that 'justice' is synonymous with 'equality'. The two are not the same. What dictionary are you using? The Oxford English Dictionary lists many definitions of 'justice', but 'equality' isn't one of them.

Back