Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darby's

• Masoretic / JPS

• Septuagint / LXX

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
I prefer my bible in a closet in a disused lavatory with a sign of the door saying "BEWARE OF THE LEOPARD", on the basements of a building whose lights are off - and the stairs, as well.

Even an atheist should keep a bible handy for their arguments.

RSV all the way.

I'm not sure that I have a preference since I don't and haven't spent much time comparing different versions.

I use as a reference my rather very well thumbed RSV version printed in 1952 (the date of my birth). A personal gift in 1970 from a son of a Baptist minister.

Myself, I was given a KJV of the bible when i was about 11 and still believed in the junk therein, and have pretty much used that version ever since.

We used to have "the good news bible" at school. That just sounds like altered propaganda. Like they editted all the bad news out of it.
I don't have a preffered bible, I don't have a bible, but I know the basics which is good enough for me.

Does anyone know what the oldest piece of biblical litterature is? Like is there a bible from before the bible was finished somewhere?

I use the NIV for general use, but I like the cross referencing in NASB, the interpretation of the Amplified, and the no-nonsense translation of Young's Literal (all at Biblegateway). For etymological research I use the NAS with Strong's numbers (SearchGodsWord.org). At home I have a 2002 Afrikaans translation and one based on 'the Message'.

Dr Lou Natic,
Have a look at the West Semitic Research Project Books of Interest. All the books of the bible were found at Qumran, but since none have been "canonized" at that time, they are not considered a complete codex (or "bible", like the codex Leningradensis 1010 CE).

Originally posted by Fafnir665
Even an atheist should keep a bible handy for their arguments.
It's repetitious, long, and full of stupid stories. There are plenty of websites who have better categorized the stupidity of it anyways.

Originally posted by Teg
It's repetitious, long, and full of stupid stories. There are plenty of websites who have better categorized the stupidity of it anyways.

Your just not hardcore enough

I was forced to read that crap in school. I would not wish that fate on anyone else. There are too many better books out there. The plots are hackneyed, the charcters one-dimensional, and the morals bankrupt of meaning. To be sure I think the cheapest romance novel has over the bible any day.

I don't know many athiests that read the bible for fun, it's just a good resource

I like the New English translation- from the oldest known text straight to modern english (circa 1940) complete with notes on possible multi-translations. Mine came with the Aporophya, a series of books which were part of some bibles for the first thousand years or so of x-ianity.

Originally posted by Jenyar
All the books of the bible were found at Qumran, but ...
No. The Tanach is well attested, but not the New Testament.

Originally posted by Jenyar
... since none have been "canonized" at that time, they are not considered a complete codex (or "bible", like the codex Leningradensis 1010 CE).
No. They are not a complete codex because (a) they are not complete, and (b) they are not in codex (quire) form.

BibleGateway.com is great. I usually use the same version as whoever I'm arguing with, which seems to be mostly KJV or NIV.

Reading the bible as an ex-Christian atheist is a rather horrifying experience. It's all too easy to gloss over the incredibly nasty stuff when you're a believer.

It's good bedtime reading for the kiddies, though - it scares the bejeebers out of them! (Don't make fun of old folks, kids, or God will send some bears to rip you up.)

Too many damn acronyms if you asked me. What, did God speak in different tongues thus the different versions? In response to question: who gives a rat's ass? They all eventually only have one important thing to say: you shall love your neighbor as yourself(or its many many variants). ~Leviticus 19:18. And even that is bullshit.

Back