Predator-Prey Relationships.

Trippy

ALEA IACTA EST
Staff member
I had a thought this morning, I forget what triggered it.

Are there any Nocturnal predators that hunt Diurnal prey.

That is - are there any hunters that hunt their prey when their prey is inactive?

I had a thought this morning, I forget what triggered it.

Are there any Nocturnal predators that hunt Diurnal prey.

That is - are there any hunters that hunt their prey when their prey is inactive?

Maybe most of them I would think. Lions have been known to come into a village of sleeping people and take their pick of the pray. If I was a predator I wouldn't turn down easy food because it was inactive.:D

leopards do (I was lucky enough to watch one taking out some baboon at night) as do lions (although normally these "lion attacks" in villages at night are normally just a convenient way to explain someone going missing. normally its only the old and seriously hungry lions that would be desperate enough to go into a village)

many of the flighty prey animals (ie wildebeest and zebra) tend to sleep for only three hours a day and they rotate sleeping shifts so that there are always eyes looking out for predators at night. even though they are diurnal animals.

There are many diurnal predators that hunt nocturnal prey - birds that forage in trees for hidden caterpillars and other mostly nocturnal insects, for example.

Nocturnals on diurnals is a bit harder, but noted above. There are in my neighborhood a fair number of predators on seasonally inactive prey: summer active insects are the target of several winter long predation efforts, most obviously.

Back