Pope: No longer a creationsit?

Ganymede

Valued Senior Member
Pope: No longer a creationist?

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 11:55 a.m. PT July 25, 2007
LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy - Pope Benedict XVI said the debate raging in some countries — particularly the United States and his native Germany — between creationism and evolution was an “absurdity,” saying that evolution can coexist with faith.

The pontiff, speaking as he was concluding his holiday in northern Italy, also said that while there is much scientific proof to support evolution, the theory could not exclude a role by God.

“They are presented as alternatives that exclude each other,” the pope said. “This clash is an absurdity because on one hand there is much scientific proof in favor of evolution, which appears as a reality that we must see and which enriches our understanding of life and being as such.”

The pope, leader of some 1.1 billion Roman Catholics worldwide, said: “We must respect the interior laws of creation, of this Earth, to learn these laws and obey them if we want to survive.”

“This obedience to the voice of the Earth is more important for our future happiness ... than the desires of the moment. Our Earth is talking to us and we must listen to it and decipher its message if we want to survive,” he said.

Last April, the Vatican sponsored a scientific conference on climate change to underscore the role that religious leaders around the world could play in reminding people that willfully damaging the environment is sinful.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/

Last edited:
This is old news...the Catholic Church has had this position for years, going back to the previous pope.

This is old news...the Catholic Church has had this position for years, going back to the previous pope.

I know, I was going to get that. The Chatholic church as a history of changing their belief system to coinside with mordern times.

The pontiff, speaking as he was concluding his holiday in northern Italy, also said that while there is much scientific proof to support evolution, the theory could not exclude a role by God.

Only an imbecile would conclude there is no evolution at all. Things evolve...no sh*t. The problem is cross species evolution is not viewed as science fiction.

The term species is a human invention. It only means that one kind of animal is different enough to another that they cannot form fertile offspring. It's not such an unsurpassable boundry that forming another species is in the realm of science fiction. New species have been forced to form in the laboratory. In nature it only takes some geographical separation and a million years or so.

The term species is a human invention. It only means that one kind of animal is different enough to another that they cannot form fertile offspring. It's not such an unsurpassable boundry that forming another species is in the realm of science fiction. New species have been forced to form in the laboratory. In nature it only takes some geographical separation and a million years or so.

Yeah, i know it is a human invention.

Formation of five new species of cichlid fishes which formed since they were isolated less than 4000 years ago from the parent stock, Lake Nagubago.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html

You don't see the difference here? or why this is even relevant to human evolution supposed path.

Besides, evolution can easily fit into a Creationist's perspective. You know that nothing Darwin wrote about disputes creation, i think humans ancestors were human alone. And as we speak I am working to prove this, this is what I will be known for.

EXEGI monumentum aere perennius
regalique situ pyramidum

Last edited:
In nature it only takes some geographical separation and a million years or so.

Actually, we have seen speciation occur in mere decades -

* such as the London Underground Mosquito,

* or the famous Nylon-eating bug.

Iasion

The 'nylon eating bacteria'?

Ah, bacteria:rolleyes:

There is no doubt bacteria may have literally paved the way for all life, i just believe it did it in a particular way.

Back