Polygamy from a mormon perspective

W

WildBlueYonder

OK Bill Gates, your dreams are finally answered :)

http://www.absalom.com/mormon/contrib/women-want-polygamy.html

I used to believe that women suffered under polygamy, but then I saw so many attractive women (Mormon and Gentile) who were SO willing to share a wealthy or successful man rather than have a less successful one of theirown that I came to the conclusion that women _jumped_ into plural marriage with both arms and legs! While it is true that the _first_ wife was often tested, the other wives couldn't wait to bed down with a wealthy male! I've seen dozens of young active Mormon women jump into bed with my rich male friends (Mormon or Gentile) at _less_ than the drop of the hat, merely in the "hope" that this wealthy man would fall in love with them and marry them. So PLEASE don't present polygamy as merely a man's excuse to get multiply laid! It was a God-send to many women too; who insist on a rich man (even a shared one) or no man at all.

It is rather widely known that polygamy was a feature of early Mormonism. Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Mormon sect, claimed to have received the doctrine of plural wives by divine revelation. In the Mormon textbook known as the Pearl of Great Price, it is stated that on July 12, 1843 a “revelation” was given “through Joseph Smith, the Prophet” concerning a “new and everlasting covenant.” The published explanation for this alleged revelation affirms the notion that marriage is an “eternal” union (when solemnized by the authority of the priesthood), and that a plurality of wives and concubines is permitted (Introduction to Section 132). Those who rejected the revelation were to be “damned” (132.4). Both Smith and his successor, Brigham Young, had multiple wives. Though polygamy was banned in 1890, many Mormons in isolated areas of Utah still practice it.

Matthew 19
5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'

Not three or four. The two.

It is however evident that there was never Mosaic punishment against polygamy, and King David, who remains God's very own beloved, practised polygamy to his heart's content.

Last edited:
Back