Votes: 3 60.0%
  • the attacker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the girlfriend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the cabbie

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
The samaritan, obviously, if I must choose. The cabbie died and the idiots are going to jail.

The samaritan, obviously, if I must choose. The cabbie died and the idiots are going to jail.

the cabbie didn't die, the good samaritan did. just to clarify, the good samaritan in this story is the 61 year old man who attempted to help the girlfriend and was beaten to death. the cabbie, although he did call 911 and helped police track down the couple after the fact, witnessed the event without physically intervening to try to help the girl or the good samaritan. isn't that right?

Oh - sorry, for some stupid reason I thought you meant the guy who tracked them down was considered the samaritan. My mistake.

Oh - sorry, for some stupid reason I thought you meant the guy who tracked them down was considered the samaritan. My mistake.

i was reiterating what the article said. the article deemed the 61 year old man a good samaritan. yes you could argue that the cabbie was as well for his efforts. so, given the clarification, would you change your answer?

witnessed the event without physically intervening to try to help the girl or the good samaritan. isn't that right?

Every individual must decide what, at a split moment, is the best thing to do at times. In this case the cabbie thought by at least him staying alive that he could be better at trying to get more help and try to act as a deterrent to those committing the crime just by being there for them to see that they were being watched by witnesses that could identify them. That might have made the criminals stop but in this case it wasn't enough. He tried to do what he thought best and you can't fault him for not doing more when the criminals had weapons and he did not.

Every individual must decide what, at a split moment, is the best thing to do at times. In this case the cabbie thought by at least him staying alive that he could be better at trying to get more help and try to act as a deterrent to those committing the crime just by being there for them to see that they were being watched by witnesses that could identify them. That might have made the criminals stop but in this case it wasn't enough. He tried to do what he thought best and you can't fault him for not doing more when the criminals had weapons and he did not.

i'm not faulting him, i'm just stating what happened objectively. that's the point of the poll, is for people to consider these things and make their own judgement calls.

you haven't voted yet. are you still deciding?

i'd like to know if any members have been in a situation like this, witnessing violence like this, and what decision they made, why, and how they feel about that now. there's a lot of violence in the world; i'm sure some of our members have been in situations where they made a choice to intervene in some way or not.

Geoffp,

if you want, i'll take the good samaritan vote, and you can vote again if you'd like to make a different choice. i haven't voted yet, but i am choosing the good samaritan.

Geoffp,

if you want, i'll take the good samaritan vote, and you can vote again if you'd like to make a different choice. i haven't voted yet, but i am choosing the good samaritan.

Sounds good. Cabbie me up.

Sounds good. Cabbie me up.

ok, i just voted cabbie for you. the other two votes for good samaritan are mine, and my husband's (rjr6), who after much deliberation has voted, but has chosen not to post an explanation at this time.

am i correct to interpret your choice as "i'm all for being a good samaritan as long as i don't end up dead or in jail"? does that sum it up ok?

i'll explain my answer...

i've been in more than a couple of situations where i've witnessed violence; not to this extent. 2 of those situations were most recent and impactive on me. the most recent event in particular. i was the only witness to what looked to me like a kidnapping. i was in a dark parking lot after work in the wee hours of the morning. i very well could have intervened to help the victim, but i was afraid. my response was to get in my car and lock the door. i didn't have a cell phone at the time but would have used it to call 911 if i had (i would hope). i did try to follow the car, but failed miserably. i did not think to get the license plate number but most likely could have if i'd thought to. and i did call the police and report the incident as soon as i got home and to a phone. i only live about 10 minutes away.

and for as long as i live, i will never forget, that man hanging his handcuffed hands out the car window as they drove past, looking me dead in the eye, and screaming "help me! help me!" it will haunt me til the day i die. i sincerely regret not having the courage or the faith or whatever you want to call it, to have done something more to help, even if that had meant that i had gotten hurt or killed.

i'm not faulting him, i'm just stating what happened objectively. that's the point of the poll, is for people to consider these things and make their own judgement calls.

you haven't voted yet. are you still deciding?

I won't vote.

I'd rather have been the good samaritan guy.

Why? once, when dead tired after a 14-hour shift, I witnessed a car chase-these two women in a car were being chased by a guy with a gun-unfortunately I can't seemed to get an armed post to save my life, so the pistol was at home.

I never heard if they were killed or not.

I also didn't intervene in a fistfight-two on one.

This happened eleven and eighteen years ago respectively...and bother me now.

Oh, and the dead guy in the car...I doubt I could have helped him, he seemed pretty affirmatively dead-as in his body temp was dropping when I pulled his hand loose to try for a pulse... and I only knew CPR secondhand...but I suppose I should have broken in on the passenger side and tried-it just looked, in the dim light, like his head was in a whole new shape...

At any rate...
I'm tired of being haunted by the guilt of not having tried harder to help...and if i get killed trying to help, shit happens.

I'd rather have been the good samaritan guy.

Why? once, when dead tired after a 14-hour shift, I witnessed a car chase-these two women in a car were being chased by a guy with a gun-unfortunately I can't seemed to get an armed post to save my life, so the pistol was at home.

I never heard if they were killed or not.

I also didn't intervene in a fistfight-two on one.

This happened eleven and eighteen years ago respectively...and bother me now.

Oh, and the dead guy in the car...I doubt I could have helped him, he seemed pretty affirmatively dead-as in his body temp was dropping when I pulled his hand loose to try for a pulse... and I only knew CPR secondhand...but I suppose I should have broken in on the passenger side and tried-it just looked, in the dim light, like his head was in a whole new shape...

At any rate...
I'm tired of being haunted by the guilt of not having tried harder to help...and if i get killed trying to help, shit happens.

i can absolutely relate. thank you for participating in my poll! :)

i was wondering since a lot of people aren't participating, if instead they might want to take a stab at explaining why this poll doesn't seem to be a popular one? is it offensive? is it boring? :shrug:

is it me? :(

Back