Political Correctness gone mad

KennyJC

Registered Senior Member
I am a little exasperated by the fact it is seen as wrong to challenge a religion. I was sickened by the recent protests of religious groups here in the UK over trying to ban plays which 'insulted' their religion.

I think I should have every right to express whatever opinion I have on the subject and it should NOT be censored. But sadly, people have lost jobs, been abused or even killed as a result of daring to speak out against religion.

I agree with you, but that is society. There is a double standard that we have to deal with. Different religions can strike down upon people who do not believe as they do, and well it is fine, because they are good Christian people. But the second someone who isn't a Christian (or any other religion) fires anything back that states their opinion, then well it is the end of the world. But it is a simple fact that some people have to face living, and it is sad that, that is the way life goes.

KennyJC said:
I am a little exasperated by the fact it is seen as wrong to challenge a religion. I was sickened by the recent protests of religious groups here in the UK over trying to ban plays which 'insulted' their religion.
Hmmm, I agree that we should have freedom of expression but what exactly were you referring to?

Out of curiosity do you think that “The Merchant of Venice” would be considered politically incorrect in the UK? Is Shylock politically incorrect?

Do you think that there is a line “somewhere” whereby it is not socially acceptable to express something publicly? Should people be allowed to walk around downtown London naked? Should I be allowed to wear a shirt that says “Kill all Whites!” or "Hitler had it right!" or Place ANYTHING here . . . . etcetra

Where is the line drawn?

Just some thoughts.

Michael,

Very good points on wear to draw the line. And that is where the whole issue of censorship really can just be drawn out. It would be so hard to please every person. We could say that we draw the line with anything that is physically harming someone should be illegal. But then that wouldn't cover a lot of the emotional pain that someone would feel from seeing a shirt that said, "Hitler had it right!" No matter what people are just going to have to deal with the fact that in the modern day some form of censorship will always be occuring whether in the UK, or in the US.

when it come to protests from religious groups over, plays, books, films, Ie anything in the media, they have the right not to watch, read, listen.
the only other reason they would protest, is it may out, the truth.
and spoken by a born muslim, now atheist, and still alive.

Tralfaz. . . .There is a double standard that we have to deal with . . . the second someone who isn't a Christian (or any other religion) fires anything back that states their opinion, then well it is the end of the world

Every instance of a state going after a person under "hate speech" laws of which I am aware involved a Christian preaching or speaking against homosexuality (pastor imprisoned for that in Sweden for instance) or "hate speech" against Jews or Muslims (Le Pen and Barot).

Perhaps this is changing. I wouldn't be surprised if it did. The "hate speech" laws the UK, Canada and many countries in the EU have encourage discord.

Besides being totalitirian in nature.

Back