Polaritonics

Bishadi

Banned
Banned
here is a new idea for the computer folk

Cardiff University
Abstract: This project aims to provide a detailed theoretical understanding of the individual and collective nonlinear dynamics of solitary waves in a special class of artificial materials, namely Polaritonic Photonic Crystals (PPCs). With this generic term we refer to those structures that combine the Bragg periodicity typical of Photonic Crystals and the material resonances due to the existence of quasi-particles existing in semiconductors, namely phonon- or exciton-polaritons. These quasi-particles are the result of the avoided crossing between the photon dispersion and the phonon or exciton dispersion, and due to their phonon/exciton components, they exhibit strong nonlinear interactions of various kinds. The hybridization of the photonic modes with the material polarization leads to qualitative changes in the optical response of the whole system, and the periodicity adds an extra degree of freedom in the manipulation and engineering of the dynamics of optical solitons of novel conception. The first type of PPC considered in the proposal is a Photonic Crystal made of materials which exhibit phonon-polaritons, in which flat optical dispersion characteristics can arise, for certain polarizations of light, due to the coexistence of the Photonic Bandgap (PBG) with the Polariton Bandgap, which can be used to reduce the speed of light in the material or to excite nonlinear waves and solitons with small optical powers, a circumstance that would be beneficial for a variety of commercial applications. Another example of PPC that this project wants to analyze in detail is a structure consisting of multiple Quantum Wells spaced with Bragg periodicity. In this case, no direct photonic Bandgap can arise, because the refractive index is not periodically modulated, but the exciton resonance will acquire a large radiative width, proportional to the number of Quantum Wells. In the limit of a large number of Bragg-spaced Quantum Wells, the exciton linewidth assumes a square profile and turns into an Photonic Bandgap. Contrarily to a conventional PBG, this stop band is active, i.e. can be controlled nonlinearly: the nonlinear interaction between light and exciton-polaritons translates into a nonlinear bandgap response, which can be used to engineer, for instance, ultrafast active Bragg mirrors, trasmittive for low powers and reflective for higher powers. The third and last example of PPC that we consider in this proposal consists of coupled semiconductor microcavities, spaced with a multiple of the Bragg wavelength. Coupling of microcavities provides and extra degree of freedom in the engineering of photonic modes and of their interaction with excitons. New surprising linear physics has been demonstrated in these structures recently, such as a giant Rabi splitting and nonlocal interaction of excitons located in different Quantum Wells; while the nonlinear physics, and especially the dynamics of solitons that are inevitably present in the system due to strong nonlinear interactions between exciton-polaritons, is much less explored and constitutes one of the main themes of this proposal.

and a little more

Spectral dispersion of light on a finite-size surface plasmon polaritonic (SPP) crystal has been studied. The angular wavelength separation of one or more orders of magnitude higher than in other state-of-the-art wavelength-splitting devices available to date has been demonstrated. The two-stage process is responsible for the dispersion value, which involves conversion of the incident light into SPP Bloch modes of a nanostructure followed by the SPP Bloch waves refraction at the SPP crystal boundary. The high spectral dispersion achievable in plasmonic devices may be useful for integrated high-resolution spectroscopy in nanophotonic, optical communication and lab-on-a-chip applications

here is a scheme acknowledging bose einstein condensate, is the polariton being maintains in space

http://nccr-qp.epfl.ch/webdav/site/nccr/shared/Projects pdf/3.C.pdf

and imagine that, one of the comments returned to me after PNC was that, 'a photon cannot be slowed... it violates Einsteins Relativity'

in less than 3 years, this field is exploding......

and imagine that, one of the comments returned to me after PNC was that, 'a photon cannot be slowed... it violates Einsteins Relativity'

in less than 3 years, this field is exploding......
There's a difference between 'the speed of light in a vaccum is always c' and 'the speed of light through any medium is always c'. The former is true, the latter is false. We've known the speed of light in water is about 70% that in a vacuum for more than 100 years now. Hence refraction. Other mediums slow it down more. Bose Einstein condensates can stop it entirely, by holding the photon energies within the lattice of the material and then releasing it when allowed to warm slightly.

So the comment criticising your 'work' was correct and you failed to understand it. Didn't you learn in school that light goes slower through water?

There's a difference between 'the speed of light in a vaccum is always c' and 'the speed of light through any medium is always c'. The former is true, the latter is false.
Well 2 errors, first refraction is not a velocity issue of light. Refraction changes line of sight and the mass exchange rate varies based on the state of the mass.

i.e.... to tap a rock is different than water or gas.

We've known the speed of light in water is about 70% that in a vacuum for more than 100 years now.
SO please everybody look at this quote and notice how ignorant the statement is.

You suggesting a delay of 30% to the speed of an observed item in water.

i believe snell version shares something like a 2% change

Hence refraction. exchangeOther mediums slow it down more. Bose Einstein condensates can stop it entirely, by holding the photon energies within the lattice of the material and then releasing it when allowed to warm slightly.
Ah..... so when the mass is of little energy (BEC cold), the mass (rubidium) is exposed to a specific wavelength and that wavelength ca cover a distance in time and retain its same properties, eh ......?

nice to see common sense simply ruin what the standard model of physics represents.

i.e... change the rate to velocity and distance and planck is wrong.

hence; energy is that very em upon mass.

Gotcha!

Hey, B...when we were debating...its ok to call me an idiot...'cause I kinda am. Just a fix-it guy with a 2 year tech school degree.

However, calling everyone an idiot is a poor debating technique....especially A.N. Kinda "Douch-ish"...:)

Just an FYI

And everyone take note of this HUGE error! It's well-known (and has been for decades) that light slows to 75% of it's speed when passing through water.

Bishadi, from every indication of your mistakes/misunderstandings/blunders and outright ignorance, it appears that you most likely didn't even finish high school. If you somehow DID finish, you weren't paying much attention in class.

And it's painfully clear that you've never seen the inside of a college unless perhaps as a janitor - and yet you are so dense that you argue with people who's education is FAR higher than yours.

And everyone take note of this HUGE error! It's well-known (and has been for decades) that light slows to 75% of it's speed when passing through water.
light has no speed unless upon mass; now exchange rates vary based on the environment of the medium.

that is what to measure; light has no speed.... as we are now back to velocity of energy

do you realize, the idea of thought you sharing, proves the red-shift is not based on the speed of light but the medium in between the line of sight

or even the idea of gravity bending light.

this is the problem i have with folks like you; you not thinking about how things apply universally; you just accept what little lines items make sense to you.....

light has no speed unless upon mass; now exchange rates vary based on the environment of the medium.

that is what to measure; light has no speed.... as we are now back to velocity of energy

do you realize, the idea of thought you sharing, proves the red-shift is not based on the speed of light but the medium in between the line of sight

or even the idea of gravity bending light.

this is the problem i have with folks like you; you not thinking about how things apply universally; you just accept what little lines items make sense to you.....

I rather expected you'd ignore most of what I said (about your obvious lack of education) and come back with nonsense like this.

Light has no speed, eh? That statement once again proves just HOW foolish you really are!!!!!

What a pitty! You (and WE) would be far better off if you just backed away from your keyboard and unplugged the computer. (And go BACK to school before ever returning here!!!!!!!!!!):bugeye:

Please explain to a layman what this means...because you kinda lost me.

Well 2 errors, first refraction is not a velocity issue of light. Refraction changes line of sight and the mass exchange rate varies based on the state of the mass.

i.e.... to tap a rock is different than water or gas.
The change in direction is due to a change in wave speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refraction

First, as light is entering a drop of water, it slows down.
SO please everybody look at this quote and notice how ignorant the statement is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light#Interaction_with_transparent_materials

That was hard to find. :rolleyes:
nice to see common sense simply ruin what the standard model of physics represents.

i.e... change the rate to velocity and distance and planck is wrong.
No, your understanding, ignorance and BS 'ruin' your chances of grasping physical reality and the Standard Model.
So why is there a delay in light getting from the Earth to the Moon and back?

Light has no speed, eh? That statement once again proves just HOW foolish you really are!!!!!

haven't ever wondered how speed is attached to an un(massed) particle known as a wave? That is where you ignorance just is way over your head.

You think you have a clue but don't. It is like creating a particle to share what gravity is.

if energy is associated to velocity, then how can light be slowed? where is the energy going?

the point is you so stuck in your ideas that all is Otay, that you loosing your ability to think.

the laws of reality comply in all schemes not just the one you want

this is the difference between me and the morons; integrity of application and comprehending what each theorem means...

you don't!

The change in direction is due to a change in wave speed.
then to conserve, where is the energy going?

i.e... if one photon interacts with a drop of water; share that system

First, as light is entering a drop of water, it slows down.

conserve the energy and show us

No, your understanding, ignorance and BS 'ruin' your chances of grasping physical reality and the Standard Model.
seems my integrity to knowledge exceeds anything you've ever known

So why is there a delay in light getting from the Earth to the Moon and back?

is there a perfect vacuum? there is no void (vacuum) between 2 bodies/ so line of sight has no vacuum in any space

Is there motion between the bodies (moon/earth).... would a refraction occur?

if 2 sail boats are in a race and going the exact same speed and we standing on the starting line, one boat is 100 ft from our vantage point and the other is 3000 ft, which one appears slower?

was it the speed of light?

this is what happened in the first suggested math of the moons speed variation.

kind of stupid eh?

Back