Poem: "A Locus For Eden" (James Doyle)

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
It is entirely possible that you might never read this otherwise. I was looking for another poem when I came across this in Rain City Review v.?, n.?, Summer/Fall 1998:
A Locus For Eden, by James Doyle

The skull distills the sun, shadow
by shadow, like black honey
across the descent of its eyes. The day
licks at the hours, a centipede
winding in and out, deepening the hollows
until they pulse with opaque
light, membranes
that distill the evening, a garden
where a god-like figure walks
the black trees
and searches for a cover
of flesh
to hide such awful knowledge.
I'd rather leave it without further comment at this time and see what it brings.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Symptom of metaphysics and mysticism

It's symptomatic of mystical and metaphysical considerations of myth. I think it lends more toward the notion of the psyche behind a god created by man, but that's just an instinctive reaction.

It's . . . :confused: . . .

. . . so some guy made money with this poem? :bugeye:

think it lends more toward the notion of the psyche behind a god created by man, but that's just an instinctive reaction.

Well, its not an instinctive reaction, but a reaction triggered by the fact that first eight lines describe the opposite of the accepted way of looking at these things, and it's quite a pessimistic picture. I love the imagery.

Well ....

Redoubtable

He maybe made twenty bucks. Less the expense of mailing the page to the magazine. Of course, he can always write that expense off.

Whitewolf

I love it, too. Then again, the juxtaposition digs after a gnostic presupposition that I accept, so I'm bound to have certain sympathy toward the imagery.

Back