Please explain this psalm...

sevenblu

feeling blu
Registered Senior Member
"Happy is the one who takes your babies
and smashes them against the rocks!" - Psalms 137:9

Just happened to roll up on it the other days while perusing the NIV; it means nothing to the modern world, I'm sure... I'll be doing research on it,
perhaps I'll find out what it is suppose to be about.

Does anyone here know what this is a reference to? I see there are several sites online that are devoted to saying this is proof a an evil God, but I've yet to find a rebutal... please help me understand.

Psalm 137
1 By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.
2 We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.
3 For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.
4 How shall we sing the LORD's song in a strange land?
5 If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning.
6 If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.
7 Remember, O LORD, the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem; who said, Rase it, rase it, even to the foundation thereof.
8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.
It's saying they will feel better upon getting vengeance, doing the same that was done to them: killing their babies by dashing them on the stones.

sevenblu said:
"Happy is the one who takes your babies
and smashes them against the rocks!" - Psalms 137:9

Just happened to roll up on it the other days while perusing the NIV; it means nothing to the modern world, I'm sure... I'll be doing research on it,
perhaps I'll find out what it is suppose to be about.

Does anyone here know what this is a reference to? I see there are several sites online that are devoted to saying this is proof a an evil God, but I've yet to find a rebutal... please help me understand.
M*W: Although I'm not a fan of the Bible, I believe quite a bit has been lost in the infinite translations and retranslations. So, that would be my first answer.

Secondly, and assuming this was a direct translation, the only thing I can think of is that this world is so evil, smashing your babies on rocks would seem to be the lesser of two evils. This is not my opinion, just my translation.

M*W: Although I'm not a fan of the Bible, I believe quite a bit has been lost in the infinite translations and retranslations. So, that would be my first answer.
Do you perhaps know what was the original language of the Psalms was - the language spoken during David's reign?

Psalm 137 sounds like a Near Eastern victory song - especially considering verse 4. I'll do some research if you're interested.

Here's what's going on:
Babylon is coming to Israel and attacking them and killing their children as mentioned. David is calling to God asking him to punish them for doing to such things. David is asking God to act justly towards these people and repay them back for what they have done.

Enigma'07 said:
Here's what's going on:
Babylon is coming to Israel and attacking them and killing their children as mentioned. David is calling to God asking him to punish them for doing to such things. David is asking God to act justly towards these people and repay them back for what they have done.

Jesus said you suppose to love your enemy. Revenge doesn't solve your problem.

Jesus is smart and God in old testament is dumb. That only means OT and NT are written by two different people, who weren't really filled with holy spirit when they wrote the bible. They were just making stuff up.

Enigma'07 said:
It's not revenge, it's justice.
and yet another stupid, statement from enigma'07.
when can you possibilly, justify killing babie's.
think first, write second, not the otherway round.

farhranheit, feel free to pm me with the others. I will try to refrain from doing so. the problem is that it make perfect sense in my head, but not others. I can justify it for the same reason I can justify giving a murderer the death sentence.

Joeman said:

Jesus is smart and God in old testament is dumb. That only means OT and NT are written by two different people, who weren't really filled with holy spirit when they wrote the bible. They were just making stuff up.
M*W: Joeman, I would say that you are enlightened!

I can justify it for the same reason I can justify giving a murderer the death sentence.

No matter how much you justify a murderer being executed, you cannot justify babies being executed. Never. It's an impossibility. The babies never killed anyone. The babies never did anything to the hebrews. It can only be seen as an act of revenge. You killed ours so we'll kill yours. nanananana. It's murder, pure and simple. Thou shalt not murder except when thou wouldst be happier in doing so...

Joeman said:

Vengeance is the same in the OT and The NT its just that followers of The Messiah Are told to leave the carrying out of vengeance to God.

Romans 12:17-21
17Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. 20Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head." 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Last edited:
Adstar said:
Vengeance is the same in the OT and The NT its just that followers of The Messiah Are told to leave the carrying out of vengeance to God.

Romans 12:17-21
17Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. 20Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head." 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Thats a bad example of vengeance in the new testament (although I'm not doubting it exists there). But what this passage is saying is that if you are good to your enemy, you in essence defeat him, read the last line of the verse: "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." the heaping coals of fire on their head is figurative, you dont feed, give water, and then heap coals of fire... not very nice!

Joeman said:

Can you possibly be that stupid? OT and NT written by "two different people"? Even the atheists know better than that..

No offence or anything but I have never heard anything like that.. :confused:

Defender of Blind Faith said:
Can you possibly be that stupid? OT and NT written by "two different people"? Even the atheists know better than that..

No offence or anything but I have never heard anything like that.. :confused:

Oops. I mean several different "people". My bad.

Back