Plant Clones!

johnny

Registered Member
What do you think would happen if you took about 5 clones of a plant and grew them under different conditions? i.e. 1 with no light or a different colour/intensity light, and different tempertures and so on. What do you think will happen and why?

Why don't you try it cloning plants is not very hard at all, many plants your can just take some sections of root and stem and it will grow as a clone.

Soil, light, water, ect, ect: you could change anything.

Remember though change only one variable at a time and have a control: or a plant that does not get that changed variable or gets the opposite; for example if you have a plant under red light you need another under natural light, or you if you have plant in sand you need to have another in soil.

I smell a science project...

Now all we need is a setup for plant cloning. Or you could just transplant from the same plant...of course it wouldn't be quite as controlled. WellCookedFetus is correct in that you should vary only one condition. I might also add that you should have a larger population than 5. Also be very keen on the soil and water, both easy things to unbalance. Finally I find a composition notebook best suited toward tracking data. In this case pictures would probably be of use. If a condition has deviated in any way don't hesitate to record that change as it might be vital to understanding the outcome of a particular subject. It sounds to make a good project if that is what you intend.

WellCookedFetus,

Any suggestions on what plant(s) to use?
Which offer the most reliable result to that seed-splitting cloning technique I have heard of?
(Cutting a seed in pieces and planting the different pieces seperately.)

I seem to recall an experiment in grade school we did with citrus seeds.
We split the seeds of two different citrus fruits with a razor, and attached the different halves together (half an orange seed with half a grapefruit seed for example) and successfully grew hybrids.
This would make me think that citrus plants would be a good candidate for the seed-splitting technique.

Back