Plant Biology

RateLimit

Registered Senior Member
Does anyone have any specific interest in this discipline? Plants are not my cup of tea but for the next 4-6 weeks or so I will be studying Rubisco activase. The instructor have given us journal articles( mostly from Plant Phys.) but they are way over my head! Can anyone recommend any sites? Or you can private message me. I know I'll have some trouble later on when I actually start writing up reports and whatnot and I might not be so clear about some things. Right now, we are runniing Westerns.

why don't you try reading a review article?
I'm not an expert on plantbiology, but i found this article with a search on pubmed.

Annu Rev Plant Biol 2002;53:449-75

Rubisco: structure, regulatory interactions, and possibilities for a better enzyme.
Spreitzer RJ, Salvucci ME.
Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0664, USA. rspreitzer1@unl.edu
Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate (RuBP) carboxylase/oxygenase (Rubisco) catalyzes the first step in net photosynthetic CO2 assimilation and photorespiratory carbon oxidation. The enzyme is notoriously inefficient as a catalyst for the carboxylation of RuBP and is subject to competitive inhibition by O2, inactivation by loss of carbamylation, and dead-end inhibition by RuBP. These inadequacies make Rubisco rate limiting for photosynthesis and an obvious target for increasing agricultural productivity. Resolution of X-ray crystal structures and detailed analysis of divergent, mutant, and hybrid enzymes have increased our insight into the structure/function relationships of Rubisco. The interactions and associations relatively far from the Rubisco active site, including regulatory interactions with Rubisco activase, may present new approaches and strategies for understanding and ultimately improving this complex enzyme.

i put the PDF file of the article here

Back