Planck, one quotation

ronan

Only Consciousness Exists
Registered Senior Member
The cornerstone of science’s own structure [is] the direct perception by consciousness of the existence of
external reality. As Einstein has said, you could not be a scientist if you did not know that the external world existed in reality; but that knowledge is not gained by any process of reasonning. It is a direct perception and therefore in its nature akin to what we call Faith. It is a metaphysical belief. Now that is something which the skeptic questions in regard to religion; but it is the same in
regard to science.
Planck, M. (1931) Where is Science Going?, Ox Bow Press: Woodbridge, CT p. 218

At least science has evidence going for it, independent of any particular observer.

Scientists' philosophizing is often pretty crackedpot stuff. Sounds like Mach and Planck would make a pretty good stereo entertainment act.

iceaura,
don't attack the person,
attack the statement and justify your critique!

ronan said:
don't attack the person,
attack the statement and justify your critique!
Why?

Does anyone here think consciousness directly perceives "external reality" (whatever that is - external to what ?) ?

Does anyone here think that direct perception of external reality is, or would be, akin to faith ?

iceaura, you misquote Planck:

he did not say:
consciousness directly perceives "external reality"

but he say: "the direct perception by consciousness of the existence of
external reality" (emphasize mine)

-ronan said:
but he say: "the direct perception by consciousness of the existence of
external reality" (emphasize mine)
OK, do you think consciousness directly perceives the existence of external reality without directly perceiving external reality ?

And do you find direct perception of the existence of something - external reality, say, whatever that means - to be akin to faith ?

An what do you think Planck meant by "external" ? External to what ?

I would say that we can perceive the existence of a external reality without perceiving reality itself (which could be inaccessible by our perceptions).
But here Planck seems to say that this direct perception of an external reality is an act of faith like in religion the perception of the existence of god is an act of faith.

it is maybe more clear when he says:
"you could not be a scientist if you did not know that the external world existed in reality"

he want to say that science belief in the existence of a external reality is like religious belief in an external god.

iceaura you bring a good question here about externality.

I would say that here he means external to our perceptions.
That still feels strange.
Maybe he wanted to say external as behind our perceptions
this makes more sense for me.

and thus his text could be restated this way:
"The cornerstone of science’s own structure [is] the direct perception by consciousness of the existence of a reality behind our perceptions."

"You could not be a scientist if you did not know that there was a reality behind our perceptions."

I agree that "the direct perception of the existence of something" is a little bit strange
but according to what is say afterward about faith It could be restated this way:

"The cornerstone of science’s own structure [is] the belief in the existence of a reality behind our perceptions."

"You could not be a scientist if you did not believes that there was a reality behind our perceptions."

Maybe I completely modify what Planck was trying to say but the problem is to know we have to ask Planck himself, unfortunately this is impossible,
so let's take this interpretation and ask whether it makes sense.
If you think that there is another interpretation that makes sense, please share it. :)

Most of science in it's early stages is faith based assumption, but it differs from religious faith, by an infinitesimal decree, sciences based faith is collated by an abundance of facts.
In his statement it seems Planck, like most probably misunderstood science theory.

The cornerstone of science’s own structure [is] the direct perception by consciousness of the existence of
external reality. As Einstein has said, you could not be a scientist if you did not know that the external world existed in reality; but that knowledge is not gained by any process of reasonning. It is a direct perception and therefore in its nature akin to what we call Faith. It is a metaphysical belief. Now that is something which the skeptic questions in regard to religion; but it is the same in regard to science.

This sounds pretty silly coming from such an apparently smart guy. It's not faith, it's a foundational (the foundational) axiom of existence. All things including science and religion stem from it. Describing the "belief" in reality as faith is a lame and transparent strawman argument designed to boost religion's (or degrade science's?) credibility.

You can call an acceptance of reality as "real" a leap of faith if you want, but by definition, reality is real. It in no way strains the intellect to begin with an axiom such as "reality is the common perception of all humans of the demonstrable aspects of the cosmos".

We can all agree on the commonly observed attributes of a tree. No one can agree on even one single commonly observed attribute of god. Because there are none.

We can all agree on the commonly observed attributes of a tree.
a blind person may beg to differ
so would an ant

No one can agree on even one single commonly observed attribute of god. Because there are none.
a blind person could lodge the exact same argument against the visual appearance of a tree

guess Planck is still a smart guy after all ....
;)

LG said:
a blind person could lodge the exact same argument against the visual appearance of a tree

guess Planck is still a smart guy after all ....
To the extent that is misunderstood enough to be relevant, it argues against Planck's assertions.

ronan said:
If you think that there is another interpretation that makes sense, please share it
I don't think there is an interpretation that makes sense.

furthermore Planck do not talk about the apparent reality but about the supposed underlying reality that give rise to the seeing of the non-blind person, the sounds,..

LG said:
To the extent that is misunderstood enough to be relevant, it argues against Planck's assertions.

only if you take "seeing" for granted
The opposite: especially if you don't take seeing for granted.

Planck is asserting direct perception (whatever that means) of the existence of something which is not itself directly perceived in any respect. Something "external" which is directly perceived - apparently by something "internal" ? who knows - - - ?

Planck is asserting direct perception (whatever that means) of the existence of something which is not itself directly perceived in any respect.
This sentence is right:
Planck indeed assert that scientist require a direct perception of the existence of something which is not itself perceived in any respect.

"a direct perception of the existence of something" should be interpreted here as "belief in the existence of something"

Something "external" which is directly perceived - apparently by something "internal" ? who knows - - - ?
No that is not what he is saying,
he does not say that the something "external" is directly perceived
but he says that its existence is directly perceived.

The opposite: especially if you don't take seeing for granted.

Planck is asserting direct perception (whatever that means) of the existence of something which is not itself directly perceived in any respect. Something "external" which is directly perceived - apparently by something "internal" ? who knows - - - ?
I've read your statements three times
It still strikes me as equivocal
:confused:

ronan said:
"a direct perception of the existence of something" should be interpreted here as "belief in the existence of something"
That's quite a change in meaning.

We agree, then, that Planck is not making much sense in his original words ?
ronan said:
he does not say that the something "external" is directly perceived
but he says that its existence is directly perceived.
So you take this existence as not being "external" ? When it is directly perceived, where is it ?

iceaura, I agree with you that Planck could have been clearer:
It is why I said that we should try to interpret it in a way that is understandable
you said that there is no interpretation that would be correct, here I disagree

please read my earlier post. (post #9)

So you take this existence as not being "external" ? When it is directly perceived, where is it ?

If you read my post #9 you will see that I interpret external as meaning "behind our perceptions" and thus because of his use of the word faith I would restate one of his sentence this way:
The cornerstone of science’s own structure [is] the belief in the existence of a reality behind our perceptions.
(taken from post #9)

Don't you agree that most scientists (if not all) are assuming the existence of a reality behind our perceptions?

Back