Philosophy in a nutshell

TBD

Registered Member
Average person: Prove that god exists.
Conservative philosopher: Oh...we can't do that...
AP: Oh, so god doesn't exist.
CP:....WAIT, presupposition! Your previous notions of "proof" can't be applied in this debate because the subject matter is supernatural!
AP: So you eliminate the empirical evidence so I can't even ask the question anymore?
CP: ZING!
AP: So I'm sure now you feel secure, and others that feel the same way you do feel secure because basically you've tried as hard as you can to try to eliminate all scientific analysis from this debate.
AP: Don't you realize that your entire arguement still doesn't hold any water? Let's be hypothetical and say you've removed empirical evidence from the equation, you still don't have any other form of justification to say that he does exist.
CP: We don't have to prove anything, we just have to try and refute your assertions!
AP: Oh...so you feel that simply by poorly refuting our ideas, that you are actually right?

By the way, I apologize for the subject - "Any Philosophy that can be put 'in a nutshell' deserves to stay there."

Belief is just that... the faith or belief that God exists. They don't (or shouldn't, technically :rolleyes: ) claim to know God exists, they only believe it. Like we, at best, can only believe what our senses tell us is real. We don't know it.

Faith and knowledge

TBD,

You are right on the fact that atheists base their entire argumentation on the same thing as any believer: Faith.

Hugo: God is the inaccessible, He is the inevitable.

I also like:

Pascal: "God is the only thing that his existence as well as his non-existence make no sense"
Of course, when Pascal says His existence makes no sense, he is most likely referreing to:

1-The fact that we can nver fully experience God
2-Suffering in the world, having evil tendencies.

And to the fact that God cannot not exist :

1-It is impossible to reasonnably believe that everything is a pure folly and that our intricate universe is only made out of luck.
2-If we are capable to recognize God virtues, how can he not exist?

Firely rightly points out Kant's reply:
Only Faith is outside of Reason, without being unreasonable.

However, since I am a rationalist, I am sure that there are ways to make God more porbable than improbable.
I do feel that sicence is turning a blind eye on God for the simple reason that they don't like admitting that they don't know something or they can't study it. This limitation of their technique, rather than making them more modest, they prefer to reject God and put their science at its place.... weird eh?

I also feel that the burden of proof is on the Atheist. so many great philosophers have put foward strong arguments concerning God, or to the very least: a supreme entity or being.
Plato, Aristotle, Kiergegaard, Descartes, Leibniz and Bachelard just to name a few.

To conclude, psychologists suggest that faith is only a security blanket for the psyche. That without faith the psyche of an individual would be more stressed and susceptible to anxiety and depression...
Need more proof?

(Didn't get that last remark? It means that if he truly did not exist, they would be not difference between believing in a fairy tale and not believing in it. But since their seems to be major impacts when not believing, maybe man has an innate predisposition to believing in his maker.)

Got to go, sorry for typoes if they are any!

Re: Faith and knowledge

Originally posted by Prisme
I also feel that the burden of proof is on the Atheist. so many great philosophers have put foward strong arguments concerning God, or to the very least: a supreme entity or being.
Plato, Aristotle, Kiergegaard, Descartes, Leibniz and Bachelard just to name a few.
So perhaps you might wish to defend the one you find most compelling and, while your at it, tell us which God is to benefit from your defense.

Nathan Follege

Originally posted by Prisme
You are right on the fact that atheists base their entire argumentation on the same thing as any believer: Faith.
Strong atheists do. Weak atheists don't really need to.

If that is all that you are defining God to be, then He has a greater probability of existing than with the conventional definition. However, we still have no evidence of either (by definition).

Of course, when Pascal says His existence makes no sense, he is most likely referreing to:

1-The fact that we can nver fully experience God.
2-Suffering in the world, having evil tendencies.
I've actually heard number two explained pretty well (allowance of evil allows for more good in the long run). But that's not why I'm an atheist anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me.

1-It is impossible to reasonnably believe that everything is a pure folly and that our intricate universe is only made out of luck.
This is not based on anything. It simply states that the opposing view is absurd without saying why.

This is non sequitur. The existence of a meme about something says nothing about whether that something exists. I can comprehend the possibility of aliens, but that doesn't necessitate their existence.

No, if it is outside of reason, it is unreasonable. If this is disputed, one must dispute the law of non-contradiction, which is not likely to yield any useful results, given that logic, communication, and thought processes are based on this law.

However, since I am a rationalist, I am sure that there are ways to make God more porbable than improbable.
I do feel that sicence is turning a blind eye on God for the simple reason that they don't like admitting that they don't know something or they can't study it. This limitation of their technique, rather than making them more modest, they prefer to reject God and put their science at its place.... weird eh?
No, atheist scientists admit they know nothing of the external universe, and that is the reason they do not believe in God. There is no way to believe in or even know of a being that by definition is not in the realm of the universe.

The burden of proof is on anyone who states something about the external world: the strong atheist and the theist. The weak atheist has no such obligation. The theological arguments from Plato, Aristotle, and Descartes are nothing more than word play and thinly-veiled desire, and I'm sure that the rest follow suit. If not, be sure and let me know.

To conclude, psychologists suggest that faith is only a security blanket for the psyche. That without faith the psyche of an individual would be more stressed and susceptible to anxiety and depression...
Need more proof?
Yes. See below.

(Didn't get that last remark? It means that if he truly did not exist, they would be not difference between believing in a fairy tale and not believing in it. But since their seems to be major impacts when not believing, maybe man has an innate predisposition to believing in his maker.)
This means that man is predisposed to believing in a deity. It says absolutely nothing else. It does not say that a deity exists. It does not say that there is truth in faith. There is a jump here from the bandwagon to the pulpit, and it's not logical at all.

Need me to be more specific?

Nice dissection, let me do the same:

A priori scriptum:

I didn't know you took yourself for an atheist.. your first post was not really clear. Guess I read what I wanted to.

If that is all that you are defining God to be, then He has a greater probability of existing than with the conventional definition. However, we still have no evidence of either (by definition).

This is far from an exhausive definition, it was quoted to reflect the undeniable fact that no man can compleatly seaze the existence of God and that no man can live and die a conscious life without being halted to think and wonder about the existence of God.

"Dieu est l'inaccessible, Il est l'inévitable"
non-accessible unavoidable -(Strict traduction)

This is not based on anything. It simply states that the opposing view is absurd without saying why.

While Pascal only made a vague attempt to explore this path, Aristotle and Descartes have clearly made important discourses concerning the "Argument of Design" which you hopefully know. Just in case you don't, it states that the intricate structure of the universe, intricate in the sense that any componant that would be taken out would dramatically alter its balance, cannot have meshed together by pure circumstances. A sub-argument to this is also wondering why is their any balance in this universe?!

Since Einstein railroaded Newton's mecanic of the universe, science has since been incapable of explaning how a heterogeanous universe that is continuously expanding can hold itself relatively stable. Sure, science can isolate spatial phenomenons from each other and call them gravity, force fields, planetary revolutions, mass.. but the question still remains: how can a physical theory that has for a common denomiator chaos, be in fact homeostatic?

Finally, Aristotle in particular speculated of the "First Cause". He starts off by establishing that science is possible. If science is possible it is because things have a certain order to them, they do not act randomly. Thus, since we live in a Cause-Effect world, then it is the purpose of theo-logy to explore the first cause: the cause that started it all and to which its existence is necessary.

These are the common arguments against atheists that believe that somehow the sun, gravity, stars and practically the whole universe are all functionning for no particular reason.

This is what I meant by improbable .

This is non sequitur. The existence of a meme about something says nothing about whether that something exists. I can comprehend the possibility of aliens, but that doesn't necessitate their existence.

I will enjoy this one... :)

Having mentionned Kant in my post, I would have thought you would have recognized him. But I guess your title with the word philosophy in it did not truly suggest that it was a philosopher writting.

The argument is simple:
The concept of good is not of this world, nor is morality. Thus I can conclude that they are foreign concepts to this material world, deprived of any meanning.

Your second objection lies in the existence of things. While it is true that aliens may or may not exist, the very process in which a concept is built can influence its probability. Example:

Man is a terrestrial (meanning he lives on Earth) being. Any being that is not terrestrial is extra-terrestrial.

These conditions of being show greater probability and strenght than many other conditions of being of other concepts. What I mean by this is that as soon as we find just one being that does not live on Earth (be it a damn cell conglomerate frozen on Uranus that has lived 1,000,000 years ago) it will show that extra-terrestrials exist(ed).
Another strong point is that if human existence is absurd, what on earth :))) would prevent another absurdity from happening light years away? None...

Now the whole fondation of such arguments concerning God does not lie in the fact that you can comprehend God and that thusly he exists. It is much rather the idea that the atheist is simply taking way too much of this world for granted. He grabs to the lesser probable alternative... just because. Kinda like faith.

No, if it is outside of reason, it is unreasonable. If this is disputed, one must dispute the law of non-contradiction, which is not likely to yield any useful results, given that logic, communication, and thought processes are based on this law.

Again, this is a quote from a great philosopher that wasn't appreciated to its correct value. All that Kant said is that all theory of knowledge must leave faith out, for faith can simply not participate in any knowledge process... eventhough it exist.

Atheist scientists admit they know nothing of the external universe, and that is the reason they do not believe in God. There is no way to believe in or even know of a being that by definition is not in the realm of the universe.

Its funny that you mentionned the word science because the last time I checked Einstein and Hawkins both entertained the possibilty of parralel universes. While some people would think it is the death of God... it is really his portal. For such theories re-open the debate concerning the belief that God is most likely in a parralel universe, thus making it reasonable for him not to be in ours.

As mentionned, science is arrogant even downright dogmatic, since it does not consider anything as existing that cannot be mesured. However I can easily conceptualize and know that man has not always measured the periodical table, but the chemicals were still there! (At least I hope so)

In a paradoxal way, mathematics, physical science, and espescially psychology are all truffled with abstract concepts that cannot themselves be mesured.
Descartes: what if our entire mathematical systems were wrong? No way of verifying, but science seem to have undying faith into them, until the next scientific revolution brings forth another all mighty system! Praise the scientifics!

Also, it is very possible to believe in an entity outside of this universe. Ready? Just did. :) As for knowing about it, I'll just say the same thing the atheist are saying: let science time to get there.

The burden of proof is on anyone who states something about the external world: the strong atheist and the theist. The weak atheist has no such obligation. The theological arguments from Plato, Aristotle, and Descartes are nothing more than word play and thinly-veiled desire, and I'm sure that the rest follow suit. If not, be sure and let me know.

I really can't agree on the static belief that one is only in contradiction when stating propositions. For the very way we live our lives reflect our beliefs. This said, one can be in contradiction with the world, simply in the way he lives his|her life.
As for witholding judgement, its called: agnosticism

Concerning fancy word peddling, I would suggest you read more philosophy before saying anything that I would expect to heir from an avid Packers fan. I think that the short pieces of basic philosophical history I have written to be sufficiant.

This means that man is predisposed to believing in a deity. It says absolutely nothing else. It does not say that a deity exists. It does not say that there is truth in faith. There is a jump here from the bandwagon to the pulpit, and it's not logical at all.

It is 100% logically certified my friend, nothing wrong in the logical form. What I think you mean is that it is a false proposition.
That I am willing to concead, but that was not my goal. It was much rather the feeling of the pointy serynge of doubt that I attempted to insert in the psychological belief that all they examine leads to atheist conclusions.
As they see no probable links between man is engineered and the way he should live, I say that the structure of the human psyche IS the blueprint of happiness.

Of course, modern existentialists state and expect the world to live according to man's own standards... you can't keep such an attitude without snaping and unrooting on what this universe is based on.
Concret examples: Pollution, sleep deprivation, having a stressful life, drinking a liter of motor oil. :)

All this said, I do feel that the atheist rest on very shaky grounds and that in order to refute the obvious, they better come up with some serious arguments that would .compell me to stop believing, not just attempt to show me what i already know: God must be meet with faith... but with me in philosophy I am argumenting in order to make the gap smaller, to the point of his existence being utterly improbable.

Master Aivahov:
"When a man see's a book he knows there is an author, how can he rationally look at the universe and believe that he is alone?"

I have enjoyed debating with you. I can barely wait to receive your second wave of arguments, if you have any.
Please excuse my little "débordements" I tried to adopt an equivalently toned response.

Peace

Last edited:
P.S.

I do not really bother to attempt to explain and innovate an all explanatory system that would say what God is, does, hopes, wants and eats on Sundays, if any of the four latters.

I accept my ignorance of these facts. But I cannot understand why people would see this as a necessary lack.

Pascal:
"Console yourselves, you would not care to look for Me if you would have found Me"

I believe that Kiergegaard is right when he says that God is not brought to me by the churches, his relation to me is what I make of it.

So rejecting God is your choice, pray that it is founded!

Last edited:
Back