Philosophical movies

Magical Realist

Valued Senior Member
What are some good philosophical movies you would recommend? By that I mean any film(s) that deals with issues of philosophy like truth vs illusion, being vs consciousness, freewill and fate, the nature of evil, the nature of time, humanity vs technology, meaning vs nihilism, life and death, oppression vs freedom, happiness vs suffering, or any metaphysical questions germain to the human condition.

Here's some suggestions if you need some ideas:

https://movieweb.com/deep-philosophical-movies/

"The philosophical angle of these films is what sets them apart, making them a unique form of artistic expression. They delve into the unknown, encouraging us to expand our minds and explore new perspectives. These films not only entertain, but they also stimulate our minds, challenge our beliefs, and inspire us to think more deeply about the world around us. The ideas that these movies infuse often open the door for discussion and stimulate self-reflection. They touch upon topics such as the meaning of existence, the purpose of life, and the value of human relationships. These films explore the human experience in a way that few other mediums can, and they often leave us with a sense of awe and wonder."

Last edited:
Reactions: C C
Ghost in the Shell
Bicentennial Man
AI
Gattaca
Predestination
The Northman
Time Traveler's Wife
Moon
2001: A Space Odyssey

In fact, you could probably argue that all but the shallowest of films usually have something to say about the human condition. Some more successfully than others.
And I find scifi is particularly ripe for such exploration.

Synecdoche
The Thin Red Line
Vanilla Sky
V For Vendetta
Dark City
Inception
Her
Lucy
Pi
Twelve Monkeys
The Tree of Life
Minority Report