Pharmacology - Tinea Pedis - foot bath?

Quantum Quack

Life's a tease...
Valued Senior Member
I have often wondered why the common treatments for the fungal condition of Tinea Pedis [ athletes foot ] do not include a foot bath, that can be used as both preventative and remedial.
I know absolutely nothing about the pharmacology involved except that there may be a requirement for dilution in methanol or ethanol. To use as a bath, dilution with warm water would be needed to be commercially viable IMO.
One of the main substances used is apparently Naftifine, :
reference c/o wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naftifine
Naftifine (brand name Naftin) is an allylamine antifungal drug for the topical treatment of tinea pedis, tinea cruris, and tinea corporis (fungal infections).

Its precise mechanism of action is unknown, but may involve selectively blocking sterol biosynthesis via inhibition of the squalene 2,3-epoxidase enzyme.[1][2] The half-life is approximately 2–3 days

The reason I ask the above is I am confident that if a foot bath/soak type solution was found it would be great seller in the pharmaceutical market, as using a bath instead of direct ointment may provide all over coverage of the feet and could be used as a preventative measure after using public facilities [ ie. down the gym etc ]
Discussions with a local Pharmacist here indicate that there is no such beast at present on the market...

I know it's a long shot posting this here but though , hey you never know some aspiring pharmacist may wish to respond...

You could try a few drops of iodine solution in the footbath.
If the Tinea has infected the nails, it's just about incurable unfortunately.

You could try a few drops of iodine solution in the footbath.
If the Tinea has infected the nails, it's just about incurable unfortunately.
So iodine in solution with warm water wouldl make a good anti fungal tinea bath for feet... well I never thought of iodine...

and it is inexpensive and commonly available as well.... hmmm.. but what about discoloration of the skin?

A few drops in a footbath wouldn't colour the skin.
Iodine is a very efficient bactericide and fungicide.

"Inexpensive and commonly available" doesn't recommend it to the drug companies.

If I'm not mistaken, you can do the same thing using the clear (color and dye free) Listerine mouthwash and it'll kill the fungus too.

Sulfur is often used in fungicides. So another option to consider is to add some elemental sulfur to the soak water.

Sulphur, Vapo Rub, Listerine, Iodine.
What have they all got in common?
They all smell awful.
But with a sort of hopeful, medical aroma to them.

PensionersSeanSmithGuardian460.jpg

Betty: Quick, Jack! Log onto sciforums. They've got a foot fungus thread going.
Jack: I'm already on there luv. Can't you tell by my excitement?

Last edited:
:) I was surprised that according to Wikipedia, milk is a natural fungicide. I wonder if that is only if it is spoiled, and then smells bad.

:) I was surprised that according to Wikipedia, milk is a natural fungicide. I wonder if that is only if it is spoiled, and then smells bad.

If I am not mistaken, it is only raw, unhomogenized, unpasturized milk that works.

If I am not mistaken, it is only raw, unhomogenized, unpasturized milk that works.
Worthless for Tinea then.
Only horrible scented things work.
Medical smelling ones.

Carbolic soap.
I bet that's brilliant for it.

Maybe each of us could pick some foul smelling medicament, try it, and report back.
What else smells ferkin awful?

Last edited:
Back