Pet Slugs

Enigma'07

Who turned out the lights?!?!
Registered Senior Member
I have a couple pet slugs (see here) I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how large a container they need to be held in.

I once had a bunch of slugs in a old mayo jar, filled with salt. They all died, so probably bigger than that jar...or was it the salt... ;) Regardless, probably big to have a large slug family.

Enigma'07 said:
I have a couple pet slugs (see here) I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how large a container they need to be held in.

Why not just set them free so they can live a long and productive life. You could watch them outside for awhile but keeping them trapped inside isn't good for them. How would you like someone to put you into a cage to see what you do?

Why not just set them free so they can live a long and productive life. You could watch them outside for awhile but keeping them trapped inside isn't good for them. How would you like someone to put you into a cage to see what you do?

THey eat my mother's plants, plus, out side they have predators that will eat them. So I think that they might have a better life in captivity. I'm trying to get them a 5.5 gal tank. I'm thinking that should be plenty of room.

Yeah I used to have pet snail, but....my cat ate it one night. I was sad when I found the top of the cage bumped of and no snail. I recommend using a terrarium.

Enigma'07 said:
THey eat my mother's plants, plus, out side they have predators that will eat them. So I think that they might have a better life in captivity. I'm trying to get them a 5.5 gal tank. I'm thinking that should be plenty of room.

Controlling them is tedious and difficult. But these slimy creatures do have a

greater purpose, and their own place in the food chain or ecosystem. Slugs are the original recyclers.

They eat decaying vegetation, dead leaves, fungi, some animal feces, carrion and even other slugs.

Slugs are then eaten by ground beetles or small mammals like voles and moles, or snakes, birds or

beetles. So the circle of the natural world continues . . . in its own slimy way.

jesus... its just a slug, if someone wants to have one it captivity I say go for it. anyway, I would think a moderate sized fish tank would be good, but the hard part would be to make sure the environment is habitable for the slugs (i.e. moister/shade/food)

I figur it would be impossible to catch them all, so there is pletty left to complete the cycle.

Back