Persistent winter coughs

Lamont Cranston

Registered Senior Member
Can anyone give me an explanation of what causes these? The stuff I've read on the net really seems very unsatisfactory as an explanation.

I amd my family suffer badly from these. Mine first began in 1998 when I was 37 years old. I've been plagued by them every year since. I always go to the docs who say "there is no infection, its a post-viral cough. Try to stop coughing".

One doc treated me once with antibiotics, which cleared it up in no time, clearly suggesting that an infection IS involved.

Some say it's some kind of asthma. But I've never been diagnosed with asthma or been treated for it.

Thanks in anticipation for erudite replies!

Coughing has various causes and can be elusive to diagnose. One simple cause that is often overlooked is that there really is something down there irritating your tissues, something that can't be dislodged easily. Sure, this might be a sign that your tissues are too sensitive due to some other cause that hasn't been diagnosed, but it's no reason not to get the damn thing out, whatever it is. My throat is sensitive due to acid reflux (GERD) and when it gets irritated I gargle with plain hot tap water a few times and that often gets rid of whatever was bothering me.

Another cause is, obviously, GERD or acid reflux. You might alter your diet slightly in the winter (most of us do after all) or your metabolism might change due to the weather, so you don't have the problem during the other seasons. Be sure to have an otolaryngologist or a gastroenterologist check for that. It can be checked with a couple of different kinds of scopes but your family practitioner doesn't have either one.

As for the possibility of asthma, my wife and I both have it; mine started in my late 40s and she was almost 60 when hers set in. So the fact that you've never been diagnosed before is no guarantee that you don't have it now.

If that doctor cured it with antibiotics, I assume you went back to the same guy when it came back. What did he say then?

If your prescription truly is "try to stop coughing," then all you need is symptomatic relief. Cough drops work pretty well. If not, dextromethorphan works pretty well for three or four hours. In the USA that's the standard non-prescription cough syrup.

If you need something stronger, for the daytime you can get it mixed with phenylephrine, which I believe is a vasoconstrictor that dulls your pain nerves. It also acts as a stimulant in many people (like me) so be careful. That combination is sold over-the-counter as DayQuil in the USA.

For nighttime, they sell NyQuil, which is dextromethorphan mixed with doxylamine. That's a sedative that will help you not wake up when your tissues are itching. I find it to be a very strong sedative; it's supposed to only be good for six hours but I still feel foggy twelve hours later. Again, be careful. Unlike caffeine, alcohol and nicotine, other drugs can't be counted on to have more-or-less the same effect on everybody.

Both of these mixtures also include acetominophen, generic Tylenol, which is an all-around painkiller and a mild anti-inflammatory, both of which are sensible ways to medicate an itchy throat.

Having an ailment that only needs to be treated symptomatically can be annoying because you'd really like to just get to the root cause and make it go away. But considering the variety of root causes out there today, sometimes maybe you're lucky that all you have to worry about is getting a cheap non-prescription analgesic at the drugstore.:)

Can anyone give me an explanation of what causes these?

Many times I've seen it happen when the humidity is very low. When there's little moisture in the air your lungs can't work as well because they like to be moist.

Can anyone give me an explanation of what causes these? The stuff I've read on the net really seems very unsatisfactory as an explanation.

I amd my family suffer badly from these. Mine first began in 1998 when I was 37 years old. I've been plagued by them every year since. I always go to the docs who say "there is no infection, its a post-viral cough. Try to stop coughing".

One doc treated me once with antibiotics, which cleared it up in no time, clearly suggesting that an infection IS involved.

Some say it's some kind of asthma. But I've never been diagnosed with asthma or been treated for it.

Thanks in anticipation for erudite replies!

Did you not even read what you wrote?

1. Doc says it's post-viral, indicating you had a virus.
2. He gives you antibiotics to ensure that the open soars don't become infected and tells you to stop coughing.
3. You blame the chronic syndrome of asthma AND attribute the antibiotics to help fighting the virus...

What are you thinking?

Here's a couple of questions I would ask that a doctor typically doesn't out of politeness.
1. Are you a mouth breather? If so...civilize yourself and breathe through your nose - it will prevent dry throat better.
2. Have you tried a lassange?

It sounds to me like you're either getting sick and then continuing to cough past the virus and it's not allowing the soar to heal correctly, or atleast that's what it sounds like your doctor thinks.

try Alka-Seltzer-Plus tablets orange flavored, they really helped my throat unlike other medicine.

Thanks to all who made useful contributions to this discussion.

The conclusion of the story is that I persuaded a doc to listen to my chest, and I was, for the second time in a number of years, prescribed antibiotics (amoxil). After two days my cough is already significantly better, though the antibiotic did may me feel a little queasy for a while.

So I feel most of these coughs are caused by infectious organisms.

Like a few people already stated, its probably due to a few contributing factors. It is more dry in the winter, which leads to lung, throat, and sinus irritation. Sinus irritation can cause post nasal drip which will make you cough. You're also probably running the furnace, which spits out more allergens and dust particles into your house, further contributing to throat, lung and sinus problems. If you or other people smoke in the house, this will definitely be a problem.

Make sure to change the furnace filter often, and maybe get a few humidifiers and an air purifier for the bedroom. Pies suggestions are also very valid. Garlic, onions, and spicy foods will help. Tea with honey is also good. Oatmeal is also very helpful because it helps to make mucous. Drink plenty of water. Not juice, coffee, pop etc. Just water. Stay away from OTC cough suppressants. All these do is suppress the bodies natural method of expelling things from the lungs. Just because you stop coughing (from a cough suppressant) Doesn't mean you do not need to expel things from you lungs. All this does is creates a build up of more shit and makes the cough worse in the long run.

As always, and as a disclaimer, do not use a forum for medical advice. These are just the things that help me :)

Back