persistant vegitive state

Asguard

Kiss my dark side
Valued Senior Member
I was watching an episode of law and order (s16 ep4) about a car bomb which killed a man who was about to have the feeding tube removed from his wife who had been in a PVS for 12 years. In the show the husband was shown basically as evil because he was going to have her feeding tube removed and because he started a relationship after 6 years. Now I wonder how many people would want to live on as a vegetable indefinitely with no hope of regaining function and what would you do if you were that husband? Lastly how long would you want your partner to be alone before its ok to start a new relationship?

For myself the answer is easy, both my partner and I have signed advanced directives saying we don't want to be kept alive in a PVS and I wouldn't want her to be alone.

I agree. I wouldn't want to be a burden to society and a cause for my wife to be ever unhappy.

I agree. I wouldn't want to be a burden to society and a cause for my wife to be ever unhappy.

That's not why I wouldn't want to "live" in a PVS, if there is any conciousness left in a PVS I would be lying there screaming in my head unable to communicate, that would be torture

I'd agree that by signing a statement that allows them to not hook you up to any life saving equipment if they know your not going to ever wake up is a very smart thing to do. Just make sure to register it with someone in authority like your local hospital.

I'd agree that by signing a statement that allows them to not hook you up to any life saving equipment if they know your not going to ever wake up is a very smart thing to do. Just make sure to register it with someone in authority like your local hospital.

Actually the law in SA means pb is the one who needs it but that's really beside the point, the husband in this episode was vilifide (as was the husband in the real case it was based on if I remember rightly) because he wanted to have her feeding tube removed. You would think someones partner would know there wishes best in cases lacking other documentation or medical power of attorney. So why is someone vilified by the media And the public for carrying out what most people claim they would want

Actually the law in SA means pb is the one who needs it but that's really beside the point, the husband in this episode was vilifide (as was the husband in the real case it was based on if I remember rightly) because he wanted to have her feeding tube removed. You would think someones partner would know there wishes best in cases lacking other documentation or medical power of attorney. So why is someone vilified by the media And the public for carrying out what most people claim they would want

The media, as you well know, always wants to sensationalize everything they can and do just that. Many times the media are just assholes trying to stir the pot to keep their jobs instead of trying to be more objective and informative.

Back