superstring01

THEY'RE BAAAAA-AAAAACK!!!
[at least in northern Ohio they are]

I took this picture on my front porch this morning:
img2507c.jpg

Just doesn't feel like 13 years.

~String

But aren’t there several species of northern US Cicada that each have a different hibernation (or whatever the proper term is) cycle? eg. several years ranging up to 17 years. So doesn’t that mean that there is generally a hatching event every few years (provided that a given region hosts multiple species of Cicada, that is)?

We get them every year in Australia. Some of them get confused by the sound of my electric lawnmower, and buzz around me while I'm mowing.

There are cicadas every year.
Not sure which species do what when or why.
But I can walk outside here dawn to dusk and hear the little bugs at it.
BTW, nice photo, string.

I believe that green veinage on the wings meant its' wings were hardening still; it had just metamorphosed.

I get them every year at my farm in Georgia (US) but about 5 years ago, when a big generation hatched, the night was on fire with thier sounds.

They make good fish bait also.

THEY'RE BAAAAA-AAAAACK!!!
[at least in northern Ohio they are]

I took this picture on my front porch this morning:
img2507c.jpg

~String

Certainly, I would think that one would hatch earlier or later, and thus create a staggered population. That's always been my thoughts on them. Then again, we don't see those exact kind around here.

I think they're kinda cute. I always hate to see one laying dead somewhere.

Same with crickets, although those are more numerous. Once a year, I seem to have a cricket in my basement, singing to itself. It can be annoying, but last time I caught one, even though my urge was to step on it before it got away (it was under my bed), I decided to catch it in a jar and put it outside. It went under the steps. Later that night, I heard a cricket chirping under there. I felt satisfied.

Nature's noisemakers are really quite wonderful. Just as long as they aren't doing it right where I'm trying to sleep.

Did that make sense? :p

I'm pretty sure this lady was at the end of her life cycle right there. She wasn't moving much and--I'm pretty sure if I look out on the porch right now--I'll find her decomposing corpse right where I last saw it.

Either way, you're right, she was kinda' cute. No singing, which is kinda' sad. I don't mind bug noises as long as, like you, they are not doing their business where I'm trying to sleep.

~String

God forbid someone should post an entomological treatise on the "gestation" or pupating periods of various cicada species. Wikipedia is notoriously unreliable, especially on cicadas.*

BTW, I love those brown exoskeletal husks they often leave on trees. I remember collecting a bunch of them when I was a kid.

*source needed

Either way, you're right, she was kinda' cute. No singing, which is kinda' sad. I don't mind bug noises as long as, like you, they are not doing their business where I'm trying to sleep.

~String

Yeah. They're kinda weird looking, for sure, but charming. They don't seem to sing unless they're high in a tree. Or sometimes when in flight, you can hear them. I've seen birds catch them in the air.

I have a cricket in my house right now. Actually I'm not sure what exactly it is, since it isn't making the normal cricket noise. Maybe a different kind/gender?

God forbid someone should post an entomological treatise on the "gestation" or pupating periods of various cicada species. Wikipedia is notoriously unreliable, especially on cicadas.*

BTW, I love those brown exoskeletal husks they often leave on trees. I remember collecting a bunch of them when I was a kid.

*source needed

I once attempted to pack one of the husks with cotton and thrn varnish the outside. As I was caught doing this in the kitcken table and using my motheer's eyebrow tweezers, the experiment ended abruptly.

Back