People Infect Chimpanzees with Viruses

Fraggle Rocker

Staff member
Orleander asked about this a few months ago, but I couldn't find the thread. According to an article in today's Washington Post, proof has been discovered that chimpanzees are dying from viruses spread by humans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/27/AR2008012701500_2.html There are three articles here in the Science Notebook, this one is the third one. I really liked the headline, "Asteroid to Miss Earth Tonight." By golly, good news like that should be on the front page.

in general is this surprising?

Human pathopysiology and chimps are quite symiler and virus's have been known to transmit from chimps to humans (ie HIV) so there is no reason virus's couldnt adapt to go the other way around

polio?

i thought that had almost been eradicated. Do the human vacines for it work on chimps?

Yes, they fed the chimps the vaccine in bananas, which was difficult, because they each needed I think 3 successive doses, and you know how chimps get with bananas (greedy). This was when she first started in the 60's.

in general is this surprising?
No. But we were having a lot of trouble coming up with specific examples in the first thread and I wanted to follow through for Orly.

Our avian vet says that chlamydia, which is fatal to birds, is easily transmitted from humans. Orly asked just exactly what a woman would have to do to in order to transmit that particular disease to her budgie, and I didn't have a good answer.

not washing her hands after wiping herself?
i dont know the amount of time it can live without a host

Back