Pentagon holds first-ever gay pride event

Buddha12

Valued Senior Member
​This month the Pentagon will honor our gay and lesbian troops for the first time, having designated June as gay pride month. The move follows the Defense Department tradition of recognizing diversity in our armed forces with events such as Black History Month and Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month. Details are still to be released about what gay pride month will involve, but it shows how much has changed since the repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy nine months ago.

http://now.msn.com/now/0614-gay-pride-pentagon.aspx

That's awesome. The armed forces used to be ahead of the curve when it came to integration and equal treatment, so I'm glad to see that this ugly anti-gay business is finally over.

I find it . . . odd.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good sign. But it's so odd.

It's like your gay-hating, Westboro Baptist Church attending father suddenly whips out rainbow flag, slips into some skinny jeans, begins whistling "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and runs down to the Gay Pride march.

Like . . . what the, what?

And upon questioning that father, he says, "I believe it's for the good of my children that I embrace all kids of diversity. It's good for the family and it's good for me."

And you're just left scratching your head, nonplussed at the sudden change and how he went from "A" to "Z" seemingly overnight, skipping right passed every normal stage on the way from where he was to where he is. Where's the uneasiness? The tacit acceptance? The gradual engagement with your gay friends? The sigh when he finally accepts your power-bottom boyfriend? The grudging laugh when he watches "Modern Family" and the final, uneasy walk into the PFLAG meeting?

~String

I find it . . . odd.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good sign. But it's so odd.

It's like your gay-hating, Westboro Baptist Church attending father suddenly whips out rainbow flag, slips into some skinny jeans, begins whistling "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and runs down to the Gay Pride march.

Like . . . what the, what?

And upon questioning that father, he says, "I believe it's for the good of my children that I embrace all kids of diversity. It's good for the family and it's good for me."

And you're just left scratching your head, nonplussed at the sudden change and how he went from "A" to "Z" seemingly overnight, skipping right passed every normal stage on the way from where he was to where he is. Where's the uneasiness? The tacit acceptance? The gradual engagement with your gay friends? The sigh when he finally accepts your power-bottom boyfriend? The grudging laugh when he watches "Modern Family" and the final, uneasy walk into the PFLAG meeting?

~String

I think if you were to actually walk down those halls, you'd see a lot more of the uneasiness you're talking about. It's just that as an organization, it can't justify giving a day to every other prominent minority group and not the newest one. (I don't mean "newest" in the sense that gays are only now serving in the military, of course)

Back