Pell is finally going down - hopefully

Adam

§Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥
Registered Senior Member
Pell denies sex abuse allegation
August 20, 2002

THE Catholic Archbishop of Sydney Dr George Pell has stepped aside from his job pending an inquiry into sex abuse allegations against him.

The church has appointed retired Victorian Supreme Court judge Alec Southwell to investigate the allegation.

The church's National Committee for Professional Standards (NCPS), established to deal with sex abuse allegations within the church, said Archbishop Pell had been accused of molesting a 12-year-old boy when he was a trainee priest in the Archdiocese of Melbourne.

The person making the allegation had been encouraged to report the matter to the police, but had not done so, the NCPS said in a statement.

"Mr Alec Southwell QC, an eminent retired judge of the Supreme Court of Victoria, has been retained to adjudicate upon the complaint and to report to us," the statement said.

Dr Pell immediately issued a statement saying the allegations were lies.

"I deny them totally and utterly," he said.

"The alleged events never happened. I repeat, emphatically, that the allegations are false," Dr Pell said.

He said he would take leave from the church and looked forward to a chance to clear his name.

"To allege that I am ... personally implicated in this evil is a smear of the most vindictive kind," Dr Pell's statement said.

"For the good of the Church and to preserve the dignity of the office of Archbishop, I will take leave from today as Archbishop of Sydney until the inquiry is completed," Dr Pell said.

The independent inquiry to investigate the allegations has been set up by Archbishop Philip Wilson, acting co-chairman of the national committee of professional standards, which supervises the church's Towards Healing protocols.

"I will, of course, cooperate with this independent inquiry in every way possible - frankly, openly, and unreservedly," Dr Pell said.

At a brief press conference, Dr Pell repeated that the allegations against him were lies and that he was determined to refute them.

"I welcome the inquiry and a chance to clear my name, recognising that I am not above civil and Church law," he said.

Dr Pell said he had taken a leading role in condemning and exposing sexual abuse within the Catholic Church in Australia.

He said that six years ago in Melbourne he set up Australia's first independent commission to inquire into sexual abuse by members of the Catholic clergy.

"To allege that I am now personally implicated in this evil is a smear of the most vindictive kind."

When pressed for further comment, Dr Pell said he did not wish to say anything that could be seen to prejudice the inquiry.

Text of statement by Dr George Pell, Catholic Archbishop of Sydney:
"Certain allegations have been made about my conduct when I was a seminarian over 40 years ago.
The allegations against me are lies and I deny them totally and utterly.
The alleged events never happened. I repeat, emphatically, that the allegations are false.
An independent inquiry to investigate these allegations has been set up by Archbishop Philip Wilson, Acting Co-Chairman of the National Committee for Professional Standards, which supervises the Church's "Towards Healing" protocols. The inquiry will be conducted, I understand, by a retired Victorian Supreme Court judge.
I will, of course, co-operate with this independent inquiry in every way possible - frankly, openly and unreservedly.
For the good of the Church and to preserve the dignity of the office of Archbishop, I will take leave from today as Archbishop of Sydney until the inquiry is completed.
I repeat that the allegations are lies and that I am determined to refute them.
I welcome the inquiry and a chance to clear my name, recognising that I am not above civil and Church law.
I have taken a leading role in condemning and exposing sexual abuse within the Catholic Church in Australia. Six years ago in Melbourne I set up Australia's first Independent Commission to inquire into sexual abuse by members of the Catholic clergy.
To allege that I am now personally implicated in this evil is a smear of the most vindictive kind.
I truly wish I could say more right now. However, it is important that I do not say anything that could be seen to prejudice the inquiry. Therefore I am unable to make further comment."

AAP

Source.

For those who don't know, this Pell chap is Ausrtalia's answer to Gerry Falwell. He's a nasty egg, thinks homosexuals are going to burn in hell and all that. Not nice.

I will be surprised if these allegations stick.

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

yea he is intitled to a far and impartial hearing but it wouldn't surprise me from a man who paid off 2 (i THINK) girls who were abused

Back