Patriot Raids

Mystech

Adult Supervision Required
Registered Senior Member
Someone sent me a link to this slightly dated article, and I found it rather disturbing.

It's a first hand account by an Asian-American man and essentially how, under the patriot act, armed INS agents working under the homeland security department busted into the restaurant that he was eating in, and detained the occupants without a warrant for a span of time while they identified everyone present, and ran background checks on them. When they tried to leave they were threatened that they'd be shot.

Frankly I find this kind of thing to be appalling, and honestly didn't realize that these provisions of the USA Patriot act were being (or at very least had been as of last month) exercised.

So, what do you feel about the Patriot act, and the second Patriot act which may or may not make it into law? Personally I think that Ashcroft is a Nazi and he should shove his unconstitutional acts right up his ass.

Lost article

Just yesterday I was reading an editorial by a Chinese-American lawyer who recounted his experiences with the FBI in the 1970s as Nixon was dealing with PRC. Mr. Li and his family traveled up to British Columbia, and upon their return from a short holiday he was contacted by the FBI and asked about his trip; was he approached by PRC agents, &c.

Mr. Li went on to advise people that the American police state is not coming; that in later years his travels--even to PRC itself--went unmolested by the federal government.

And while I felt he had a great point that resonates with parts of my more hopeful ideas about what's going on lately in the country, I felt he didn't address the idea of those thousands of Muslims reportedly being held without the benefit of their constitutionally-mandated rights.

So I'm going to keep searching; there's one day, I think, missing from the Seattle Times' "active" articles; I expect the editorial to turn up tomorrow as it cycles past that gap. (I can find articles from 5/27, but not 5/28 ... I think 5/28 editorials will turn up tomorrow, so to speak, since 5/30 and 5/29 are on the actual editorial page on the website. Maybe I can get it then.)

I think I know of the story you're talking about, Mystech; I'll see if I can come up with a link.

Edit: Is this the story to which you refer?

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Re: Lost article

Originally posted by tiassa
Is this the story to which you refer?
[/size]
:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Yes it seems to be, though that's not the site I saw it on.

For the life of me I can't remember why I didn't post the link. . . I had it up while I was writing this post and everything, heh, that's what I get for posting on a day that I skip lunch.

In any other western country there would have been an outcry. I feel ( and hope) thatb this could not happen in the UK

In any other western country there would have been an outcry. I feel ( and hope) thatb this could not happen in the UK
*cough*
*splutter*
And exactly what were the Birmingham Six and the Guildford Four then?

Originally posted by EI_Sparks
*cough*
*splutter*
And exactly what were the Birmingham Six and the Guildford Four then?

They were arrested, tried and convicted. If the conviction was wrong, then it was wrong, but the point is they were arrested on suspicion of a crime and not just stopped for no good reason.

What they were not sparks, is blindfolded, forced to kneel and then double tapped to the head. so don't start about British Justice when your own countrymen obey the law of the jungle?.

Back