Pastor marries 10 yr old

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
Canadian Pastor Gets 5 Years in Prison for Sex With 10-Year-Old 'Wife'

MONTREAL — A Canadian man who described himself as a pastor was sentenced Monday to five years in prison for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl he claims was his wife.

Daniel Cormier, 57, was convicted in October after members of the now-defunct Church of Downtown Montreal became suspicious of his relationship with the girl.

Cormier, who led the church, has maintained he did nothing wrong when he married the girl, then 10 years old, in 1999 during a ceremony at his church.

"I would say that there's no remorse," prosecutor Anne-Andree Charette said outside the courtroom. "He just tried to find justifications."

The girl, now 19, testified she was too young to grasp the concept of marriage but said she remembered the sexual abuse in vivid detail.

The Associated Press generally does not name the possible victims of sexual abuse.

Cormier is currently on trial in another case where he is accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl — also during his time as a pastor. He denies the accusation.

Where were her parents in all this? Can they be charged with crimes as well. (I don't know Canadian law) 5 years for repeatedly raping a child doesn't seem like much of a punishment.

Jeezuz H Christ......In one thread he's a saint, in another he's sick, and in another he deserves to die. What a world. Makes me want to stay and others to leave.

My heart is with the kid. I'm all for giving the Rev a chance to sit on Old Sparky. Let's roast his ass.

Orleander,

Out of curiosity.
Why did you consider this piece for the religion section?

jan.

Because he was a minister who married her in a religous ceremony. I'm sure he came up with religous reasons why it was ok and her parents had reasons why they also thought it was ok to hand over their daughter.

her parents had reasons why they also thought it was ok to hand over their daughter.

Like beer?
A man has been arrested in California after allegedly arranging for his 14-year-old daughter to marry a neighbour in exchange for beer, meat and $16,000.

Police said they learnt of the deal when Marcelino de Jesus Martinez came to them asking for help after his neighbour failed to pay up.

He faces charges of human trafficking, statutory rape and child cruelty.

Police also arrested the intended groom, 18-year-old Margarito de Jesus Galindo, for alleged statutory rape.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7829382.stm

Like beer?

I know they say its a cultural thing, but there is a HUGE difference between a 14 yr old Freshman in Highschool and a 10 yr old 4th grader. Neither one should be married, but a 10 yr old!?

This man was charged, what about the 10 yr olds parents. Is this OK in Canada as long as the parents give permission?

I'm wondering, if the man had not gone to the cops because the groom did not pay up, what would have been the result?

Because he was a minister who married her in a religous ceremony. I'm sure he came up with religous reasons why it was ok and her parents had reasons why they also thought it was ok to hand over their daughter.

Apparently this guy pastored a church for troubled folks;

"He took an interest in her family starting in 1993, while he headed the church that catered to the marginalized.

That's where he met the girl's mother, at the time a recovering junkie and prostitute, taking her and her two young daughters under his wing.

The family described Cormier as a father figure who increasingly became a parental fixture in the girls' lives. The sisters frequently stayed with Cormier or vacationed with him and other church members.

Cormier maintains he was entitled to have sexual relations with the girl because they were married and she was his wife, an argument the court ultimately rejected when it found him guilty in"

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/10/15/mtl-cormier1015.html?ref=rss

This has nothing to do with religion it is simply a case of peodophilia.

jan.

Yup.

You know, the decent thing to do would just be to shoot him.

Maybe the rate is higher because there's less oversight and smaller groups of kids?

Back