Pascal's Wager and game theoretical decisions

YoYoPapaya

Trump/Norris - 2012
Registered Senior Member
I'm sure most of you are familiar with Pascal's Wager. For those of you who aren't, look it up on Wikipedia. I can't post links as i'm a new member.

My question is: What religion do you choose to optimize the result of this wager?

It must be by picking the religion where you gain the most by being a believer and lose the most by being a non believer. Which one is this? And would creating your own religion be the optimal play?

My question is: What religion do you choose to optimize the result of this wager?

You pick the one that's actually real.

Which of course, we have no way of knowing - so you have to have some kind of distribution on how likely you think a given religion is to be "true".

It must be by picking the religion where you gain the most by being a believer and lose the most by being a non believer.

Unless that religion is total bullshit, and the actual, real God decides to punish you for following it.

Or did you mean that in a different sense than Pascal. I.e., the here-and-now material sense? Like, it's better to be, say, Christian because you'll have an easier time in the society you live in?

And would creating your own religion be the optimal play?

It would seem clear that any religion you explicitly invent, stands a very high probability of being false, so that doesn't get you anything (unless, again, we're talking here-and-now material rewards, in which case it could be a good option).

You'll recall that Pascal's wager basically compared atheism to Christianity. The thing there is that while there is no upside for anyone if Christianity turns out to be false, there is a big downside for atheists if it turns out to be true (eternal damnation). Thus, he's able to propose a solution independent of the probability that Christian afterlife actually exists. You don't lose anything by believing in it, and you might gain something, so why not?

Such an approach does not work for choosing between religions: if Religion A says "believe in me and go to heaven, otherwise go to hell" and Religion B says the exact same thing, then which religion is optimal for maximizing your chance of going to heaven (or avoiding hell) depends strongly on the probability that a particular religion is "true." So you have to come up with some distribution on metaphysical truth if you want a rational answer there. Which is a pretty tall order. Otherwise you have no afterlife-related reason to favor one over the other.

Well any religion has the same chance of being true in my opinion. Who's to say which religion is right and which is wrong? All religions were invented by someone at some point. That doesn't make them untrue just equally unlikely. So the answer must be that you create your own religion where the afterlife is absolutely horrible if you're a non believer and simply all fantastic if you are a believer. Seriously getting a harp can't really compete. That's already getting owned by 72 virgins.

What religion do you choose to optimize the result of this wager?

You can't do this if there is an omniscient god, for he'll know you were doing it to optimize your chances, and may punish you for it.

I prefer the Atheist's Wager, because if the god is a just god, or if there's no god at all, at least you led a good life, and if he's not a just god, you're screwed anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I don't see how creating a religion can boost your odds, since it's made up, so you can't possibly win the wager.

How can one simply choose to believe anything? How would God approve of someone who just wanted to hedge their bets?

I don't see how creating a religion can boost your odds, since it's made up, so you can't possibly win the wager.

Of course it can. You just need to create the ONE TRUE religion. I believe that most religions invented have this clause?

How can one simply choose to believe anything? How would God approve of someone who just wanted to hedge their bets?

I'm assuming this is a joke...

We don't know if there is a god or if there is, what name it goes by...

I'm assuming this is a joke...

We don't know if there is a god or if there is, what name it goes by...

It's a serious reply. What God wants someone who just goes through the motions? And if you have to believe with all your heart but don't feel anything, how do you make yourself do so? Is belief just a matter of will?

Oh don't worry about me....

This is purely hypothetical. I'm not considering joining a religion or creating one. I'm just interested in the arguments for and against this approach to religiousity. It could be an interesting discussion.

It's a serious reply. What God wants someone who just goes through the motions? And if you have to believe with all your heart but don't feel anything, how do you make yourself do so? Is belief just a matter of will?

Yes I agree somewhat. Of course you can't just decide to believe in something (I think!?!). But let's assume for the sake of the argument that our hypothetical person "searches for the answer within himself" and actually believes that this religion he invented is in fact the universal truth.

Now let's say we have like some thousands of this kind of person each making a religion that he believes is the right one. They all have the same chance of being the true religion, so the winner of this game will be the one who believes the religion with the worst result for non believers and the best for believers.

Back