panda poo

atheroy

Registered Senior Member
anyone here read the NEW SCIENTIST magazine? awesome stuff. anyway, this relates to an article in a recent issue- a scientist hypothesized that pandas must have some serious bacteria in its stomach and digestive tract that allows it to digest bamboo being the tough stuff that it is. so he got a order of panda poo from some zoo, separated 5 strains of bacteria from the sample, then placed the strains into 100kg of vegetable waste. within two weeks the waste was reduced to 3kg of material, all the while through the whole process producing hydrogen which the scientist then used to power a fuel cell. excellent. what logic. i love that magazine.

Sorry to be a scrooge, but I don't know how great a energy source the panda poo is, but if it were to be a substitute, I can imagine a set up not unlike battery farms, 'cept that they're pandas, not hens.

Nature is good, but I don't think most people are smart enough to realise. :(

panda poopoo

a couple of things:

with these bacterium would they consume everything in its path i.e., if we started breeding these would they take over the world?

can these special strains of bacterium be used for weight loss? they would consume anything you eat and you would poop it out in minutes. the perfect weight loss program.

what would the smell be like from these bacteria?

also like reading the new scientist

andy

Engineers are working on modified strains of bacteria like these to make biofuels (Methane, hydorgen, Ethanol and methanol) the goal is to take any form of plant waste (cellulose) say cardboard, wood, farmer waste, grass clippings, ect and make fuel to power cars and heat homes.

For those that do not read such low grade science magazines :D :
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/29/1051381933334.html

Last edited:
wellcookedfetus, you must understand that "such low grade science magazines" are but a form of entertainment as well being lite reading. with university study i don't have any time to read anything heavier or look for anything more involved.

from the article i read it sounds as if there are no negative implications with the process or the bacteria itself. the scientist just thought "panda's must have some extodinary digestive capabilities if it can process bamboo while getting proper nutritional value from the substance". good thinking i reckon.

Engineers are working on modified strains of bacteria
natural is better than modified any day. nature has come up with the best organisms yet. humans have a while before we will rival millions of years of natural selection and evolution.

you must understand that "such low grade science magazines" are but a form of entertainment as well being lite reading. with university study i don't have any time to read anything heavier or look for anything more involved.

I was just jerking your chain! jess, still Nature and SA are the onlything I find time to read.

natural is better than modified any day. nature has come up with the best organisms yet. humans have a while before we will rival millions of years of natural selection and evolution.

I find that quit untrue: nature never made a universal sugar subunit digester! Natural evolution is very good at making very specialized things, but biotech is need to combined useful taits.

The experiment was to prove his idea about the bacteria in the shit, and also, it could prove practical for human-waste facilities....it gets rid of the shit at the same time as making some methane and stuff....right.

Originally posted by Carnuth
nature=good

maybe we should stop destroying it =)

Yes.

Then again, that would require trimming the human population, and everyone is afraid of doing that.

Except me (I AM THE HOLOCAUST ADMINISTRATOR).

Back