Palate Spreader

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
Well, my daughter got a plate spreader today. Bit by bit we will be widening her upper jaw. She says her nose really hurts. I guess it feels like he face is being split :(

palatal.jpg

Are the top teeth in alignment with the bottom teeth now? If so are you going to do the same with the bottom teeth as well?

Ow! How long is that in for?
Is it worth the pain?

Its only goign to be in for a month and then the braces go in. In a few days I have to put a 'key' in it adn turn, which make teh spreader go out farther

Its only goign to be in for a month and then the braces go in. In a few days I have to put a 'key' in it adn turn, which make teh spreader go out farther

Ouch again.
A month isn't too bad - I was thinking years. :eek:

What's the aim of the spreader? Why does she need spreading?

her teeth are crowded on the upper jaw. He didn't want to pull teeth (and I agreed) to give them room. So they are going to widen her upper jaw a bit (only spreading it for a month) to give the teeth more room.
Apparently it is a faster version of a retainer.

well, the spreading starts. I have to turn the key that fits into the middle part and slowly we are going to spread her upper jaw apart. She is complaining her forehead and cheeks hurt. Glad I made her take some pain killer first

That looks pretty painful. I'm sure she will be glad to have it done when its over with! My ex girlfriend used to have an overbite and she decided to get it fixed. They had to surgically break her jaw in several places, and then she couldn't eat solids for a week, so she blended all of her food. At the end of the week she was so famished she kept passing out.

Last edited:
Back