organized religions

shakushinnen

Registered Senior Member
Hi,
There are many people who refuse to belong to organized religions, on the basis that they require one to accept all of the tenets of that particular faith. I was wondering, how many people feel comfortable with accepting what you agree with, in your religion, and ignoring what you don't agree with?
John

That is typical of the Christian concept where there is no factual record and so many ways to interpret what texts do exist. The result is some 22,000 different sects and cults all claiming to be the true Christianity.

That is typical of the Christian concept where there is no factual record and so many ways to interpret what texts do exist. The result is some 22,000 different sects and cults all claiming to be the true Christianity.

Man... I long for the good-old-days when religions published their "Confessions of Faith", so you at least knew what they believed in. It would be great if Christians had to actually try to agree on what their tenets are, and had to sign on to it. That would really fracture the mega-cults up into smaller ones.

Organized religion is akin to a political monarchy. There is nothing to believe in, there is just voting on what the belief du jour is. Oh, it's not be ballot voting, but the "22,000" sects of Christianity kinda gives you an idea of how this works.

beyondtime, "all" is very all-encompassing; what religion do you bind yourself to?

Very interesting you call the religion "The Catholic Church" rather than catholicism. Perfect example of what I mean by political monarchy.

So...let's ask this for example. Do you believe Purgatory exists or doesn't exist? (Since the Vatican basically admitted they don't know either, let's see what you think...here's where 'all' becomes a problem)

There is a Christadelphian church at the end of my street. It denies the devil's existence as a fallen angel, as well as fiery hell, the Trinity, that Jesus' sacrifice was substitutionary, and it teaches that Jesus had a sinful nature. Is it still Christian?

..., on the basis that they require one to accept all of the tenets of that particular faith.

I've never heard of such a thing as a religious faith, an organized religion, that requires one to accept all of the teachings of that faith. Do you? If so, which ones?

Because of a girlfriend, I was considering joining the Catholic Church, and took some "lessons" from a couple of priests. Never once did they say taht I had to accept everything that they were teaching ....only that I keep an open mind and not make undue denial of the teachings.

I'm curious ...it's been a long, long time ago, but my guess is that it's even less restrictive now than it was 50 years ago.

Baron Max

Only if you wish to go to heaven.

Which faith? Because I'm serious, I've never heard any organized church make such demands on their followers. I think you're just being biased against organized churches and lashing out at random.

Baron Max

Very interesting you call the religion "The Catholic Church" rather than catholicism. Perfect example of what I mean by political monarchy.

Well, actually it isn't. I don't mean to be rude or condescending or anything of that manner when I say this, but that really is an assumption on your part. It's an assumption about what I mean when I say "Church." When I say it I am referring to the Mystical Body of Christ, spoken of by Paul in his letters. This is important because it concerns how I perceive my religion. While it may be true that there is a hierarchic model in place in the Catholic Church, and She certainly is involved politically, particularly in global matters, these are not the aspects of my Church which are at the forefront of my mind when I think of Her. They certainly weren't when I answered your question.

I call this Church Catholic because I am distinguishing it from those other Christian religions which resulted from the Protestant Reformation, as well as Anglicanism and the Orthodoxies. It's an important distinction for me because there are certain theological tenets which I hold to concerning my Church which other Christian religions do not. Perhaps it is a meaningless distinction for those who are unfamiliar with such differences, but to those who do, it does not seem so pointless.

So...let's ask this for example. Do you believe Purgatory exists or doesn't exist? (Since the Vatican basically admitted they don't know either, let's see what you think...here's where 'all' becomes a problem)

I do believe that Purgatory is a reality. The Church teaches this to be true, and without doubt. What you might be thinking of is the question of whether Purgatory is a real place. The Church certainly doesn't take a position on this question, but does hold that even Earth can be a form of purgatory. Here is a quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which is basically a summary of Church Doctrine (and Doctrine never changes in the Catholic Church) concerning the matter:

" III. THE FINAL PURIFICATION, OR PURGATORY

1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.[604] The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:[605] As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.[606]

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: "Therefore Judas Maccabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin."[607] From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.[608] The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead: Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.[609] "

Anyway, the point is irrelevant. Where the Catholic Church doesn't take an official stance, I can believe whatever I want. It is in matters of Faith and Morality that the Church claims infallibility, and as such Her Doctrines and Dogmas never change. Moreover, we are required to accept these, for being infallible, to deny them is to deny what is true, and this is to deny Christ, for Christ said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." So, were the Church to not take a particular stance on Purgatory, it wouldn't matter what I believed about it. So, when I say, "I believe all that the Catholic Church teaches," I mean all that is Dogma, Doctrine and Deposit of Faith.

I say this, for everything else the Church says is open to prudent judgment. We can hold to whatever scientific theories we deem most truthful. The Church may make suggestions, or support certain theories, but we are not required to believe these, and the Church does not teach them as infallibly true in any kind of official manner.

You might make the argument about the Galileo incident. The matter of that has less to do with infallible Church teaching, as it does with the political power it was wielding in that era. I don't say this in a positive or negative way. I am simply saying it as a matter of fact. Galileo's theory of a Heliocentric Universe (yes, that was his theory, not a heliocentric solar system, but universe. He believed the sun was the center of the universe) had not been proven, nor was it merely intended as a scientific theory. Galileo was challenging Church authority. Perhaps the whole affair was handled poorly, house arrest seems a bit extreme in hindsight I suppose, plus the... well, it doesn't really matter. I don't want to get into a whole debate about this issue. Matter of fact, the Church wasn't making an infallible statement about a scientific idea. Aristotle's arguments concerning parallax shifts (or rather their absence) was the basis for continuing to support the ancient theory of geocentricity, and it had little to do with theology. In any case, we are not required to believe in a scientific theory, even if it is supported by the Church, for the Church does not teach it as true in an official fashion.

I've never heard of such a thing as a religious faith, an organized religion, that requires one to accept all of the teachings of that faith. Do you? If so, which ones?

Because of a girlfriend, I was considering joining the Catholic Church, and took some "lessons" from a couple of priests. Never once did they say taht I had to accept everything that they were teaching ....only that I keep an open mind and not make undue denial of the teachings.

I'm curious ...it's been a long, long time ago, but my guess is that it's even less restrictive now than it was 50 years ago.

Baron Max

Actually, I can understand that position. It isn't that we aren't required to believe in all Church Doctrines and Dogma, we are. As an unbeliever, it would be unfair to demand that of you, so the position they were asking you to take was merely that of an open mind. If, in the course of your conversion, should you have done so, you had found disagreement with certain teachings, it would have been explained to you the reason(s) for that teaching, as well as whether it was doctrine or not, if not then you were fine to disagree with it, if it was doctrine, then you would have been told that it was a tenet of the Faith and not accepting it would not allow you to be in full communion with the Church.

Hi Baron,
I may be wrong, but I think that most religions expect one to accept a number of core beliefs, tenets, doctorines, before the aspirant can claim to be of that denomination. Otherwise anyone could claim to be XXXX. I suppose they don't expect you to believe everything they teach. (I don't know.) Perhaps someone can correct me here.
John

I gave up on being part of a "organised church" years ago. After i left the catholic church i looked around for the "right Church". I looked around for a while until the truth came to me of the "Body of Christ".

The Body of Christ concept is a church made up of people not of buildings and tax deductible organizations conforming themselves to the will of the powers that be on earth and compromising the Faith in doing so.

The Body of Christ is not in the phone book, you can not see it physically but sometimes in life you will bump into a member and it will be a blessing to you. (LOL Sometimes Blessings don't look like blessings until years later...) The one who can see the Body of Christ in its entirety (And the Only one who really needs too) is the Holy Spirit who dwells within all members.

Anyway my basic belief is that this world is run by willing agents of lucifer (mystery Babylon) who lead evil but ignorant people into positions of power and influence in all organizations, political, military, bureaucratic, judicial, media and religious.

If there was a "true Church" it would be very small and it would have no influence with the power bases of this world. It would most probably be persecuted depending on the level of its effectiveness in getting the truth out.

Thankfully the Body of Christ does not need a human power structure to survive and give the message. All it needs are individuals that believe and are given wisdom by the Holy Spirit to say and do what needs to be said and done when it needs to be said and done.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Hi Adstar,
"Anyway my basic belief is that this world is run by willing agents of lucifer..." Can I take it from your reply that you believe in the existence of an evil force in humanity, namely Lucifer?
You speak of the 'Body of Christ'. If not for 'the church', how do you know what your supposed to do?
John

Hi Adstar,
"Anyway my basic belief is that this world is run by willing agents of lucifer..." Can I take it from your reply that you believe in the existence of an evil force in humanity, namely Lucifer?
You speak of the 'Body of Christ'. If not for 'the church', how do you know what your supposed to do?
John

Adstar said:
Thankfully the Body of Christ does not need a human power structure to survive and give the message. All it needs are individuals that believe and are given wisdom by the Holy Spirit to say and do what needs to be said and done when it needs to be said and done.

Hi Adstar,
Can I take it from your reply that you believe in the existence of an evil force in humanity, namely Lucifer?
John

beyond: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2387589,00.html

I must correct myself if I'm wrong...Limbo and Purgatory...same or different?

Either way...the Pope will or has augmented, corrected and abolished a catholic church teaching that's been around for a considerable time, in basically a marketing effort to convert islam believers.

Take a read of that and post your comment.

Limbo and Purgatory are not the same. The teaching of Purgatory is basically that no person may enter heaven in an imperfect state. Therefore, a time (whether it be satisfied on earth, or after death) of purgation is necessary before one may enter heaven. During this time, a person is cleansed of vices, bad habits, sinful inclinations, and earthly attachments... whatever imperfections hold him from complete acceptance of and desire for God. That is the teaching behind Purgatory.

Limbo is something entirely different. The origin for the concept of Limbo comes from the question of saintly persons who lived before Christ. All persons who enter heaven are Saints, but when we talk about saints, we're generally referring to people who lived lives of exemplary goodness. The Catholic Church declares a person a saint if it has been made clear that such persons lived so well as to come as close to human perfection in this life as possible, thus in death they go directly to heaven not being in need of purgation. The problem this presents when talking about people who lived in the time before Christ is that they lived lives of great goodness, but heaven was unreachable for men. So, the question was always, "what happened to these people?" Since they were not in need of purgation (or perhaps they were, but whatever purification they needed took little time) they did not experience purgatory (or their time in purgatory was short), but neither were they on earth, in hell, or in heaven. So, what happened to them? Scriptures record that when Christ died he "descended to hell." Theologically speaking, the reason for this was to free the souls of the righteous so that they could enter heaven. However, there has been much question as to the meaning of "hell" in this context, since hell is a place of eternal damnation.

So a hypothesis was formed. This hypothesis was of a state of natural perfection, where the soul would be happy in its naturally perfect state, but not in the eternal bliss of heaven. Souls remained in this state until Christ released them and brought them into that eternal bliss. Since the question of stillborns was similar (ie, never having the opportunity to accept Christ, yet never themselves sinning), that question was placed in the same hypothetical context. This concept is what we call Limbo.

However, this was never a formally accepted concept. It never became doctrine, and it was never officially taught by the Magesterium. In fact, I had always grown up with the understanding that the idea of Limbo was a tradition, but that the question was left open. The Catholic Church simply never made a formal stand on it except that it wouldn't say either way.

There are some problems with Limbo. One problem being that we understand that in the end there will only be heaven and hell. This has long been a Catholic teaching. At the end of time, the earth will pass away and all that will remain will be heaven and hell: unity with God, or separation from God (which depends on the choice of the person). Thus, if we are to accept that Limbo is real, we must also accept that in the end it will no longer exist, and those souls who existed there will enter into heaven, since they could not be condemned for denying a God they never had the chance to accept. So, the question then became, "well, if they're going to heaven in the end, what is the point of Limbo?"

And this is the concept of Limbo that the Pope is putting to rest. He hasn't made an assertion as to the reality of the pre-Christ concept of Limbo, only the idea that there now is a Limbo for unborn children. Really, I have no problem with this. The Pope isn't abolishing a teaching of the Church, since the Church never actually accepted it as true. It was merely a tradition held by members of the Church.

It is akin to another tradition held by some Church members which says that Adam's bones were buried beneath Calvary, and when the during the earthquakes after the death of Jesus, a crack was made at the foot of the Cross the reached Adam's bones. When the soldier pierced Christ's side, blood and water came out, flowed down through the crack, and baptised the bones of Adam. Again, this is merely a tradition held by some, but it is certainly not taught by the Magestirium of the Church, the official teaching body of the Church. Neither was Limbo (for stillborns at any rate).

Oh, and thanks for the link. Always nice to here such news.

Hi Adstar,
Can I take it from your reply that you believe in the existence of an evil force in humanity, namely Lucifer?
John

Evil force?

Lucifer is not a force and God is not a force. Lucifer is a spirit. New Age concepts about God being a "force" like an energy force i do not believe.

You said "in" humanity, maybe you should say evil agent influencing humanity. Location is irrelevant.

satan has been given freedom to seek to sway people by tempting them. But he can only move those who wish to follow, and desire the outcomes that are obtained by evil.

So yes satan/lucifer is as real to me as God is real to me. And they are not "forces"

Thanks Adstar,
You might find the book 'The Screwtape Letters' interesting, by C.S Lewis. I read it years ago, and found it to contain many insights into human nature.
John

Last edited:
Back