Organ Donation

Cellar_Door

Whose Worth's unknown
Registered Senior Member
Today I became a registered organ donor.

That is to say, I received my NHS Donor Card - a rather flimsy rectangle of blue plastic that arrives via post.

I can see why many people would find the thought of their bodies being 'harvested' after they're dead a bit macabre. But personally, when it would save my life, I know that I wouldn't think twice about accepting a transplant operation.

Any thoughts?

You only just got one?
I just checked mine, since "blue plastic" didn't ring a bell: I signed mine on 4-12-80!

PS hurry up and die, I want a new liver. :p

Give me a chance - I'm only 16!

I'd never thought about getting one before, but I signed up for it whilst getting my provisional licence.

Give me a chance - I'm only 16!
I'll let you off then, just this once.

I'd never thought about getting one before, but I signed up for it whilst getting my provisional licence.
Did you have to think about it for long?
IIRC when I got mine I'd signed it within a minute of of reading what it was for.

I'm a registered organ donor in three countries now. :p
Spreading yourself a bit thin, eh?

When I got my drivers license at 16 my mother wouldn't let me be an organ donor. I'm still not. I work in a hospital right now and I don't really trust the expert opinion of doctor's because they're wrong just as often as they are right. There have been quite a few cases just from this year where a person announced dead wasn't. Personally I don't mind if my organs are harvested, but I'd prefer that they just ask permission from my next of kin first.

Spreading yourself a bit thin, eh?

I wanna make sure they don't miss out on an excellent opportunity to upgrade :p

Inspite of my decadent self abusive lifestyle, all the parts are in excellent working order!!!

Today I became a registered organ donor.

That is to say, I received my NHS Donor Card - a rather flimsy rectangle of blue plastic that arrives via post.

I can see why many people would find the thought of their bodies being 'harvested' after they're dead a bit macabre. But personally, when it would save my life, I know that I wouldn't think twice about accepting a transplant operation.

Any thoughts?

you realize that even though your consciousness is gone from your body...your body still remains "you" until it fully decomposes

you realize that even though your consciousness is gone from your body...your body still remains "you" until it fully decomposes
So by that "logic" anyone who's lost limbs or organs isn't really their self any more?
When I get my hair cut/ cut my finger nails am I getting rid of some of myself? Becoming less than I was?

So by that "logic" anyone who's lost limbs or organs isn't really their self any more?
When I get my hair cut/ cut my finger nails am I getting rid of some of myself? Becoming less than I was?

yes you loose part of yourself. Nothing is really remaining the same. We are forever everlastingly changing.

yes you loose part of yourself. Nothing is really remaining the same. We are forever everlastingly changing.
Then there's no such thing as "self".
And donating organs won't alter things.

yes there is, donating organs does alter ones perception of the world since the composition of self changes.
Please note that organs are donated after one has died.
One's perceptions tend to be somewhat limited after death and the question of "altered perception of self" isn't likely to arise in such cases. :rolleyes:

If one were to have any perception after death I would imagine that being dead would have far more impact than would the fact that a kidney or two has been given to someone else.

One could argue that your body is still 'you' even after it's no longer recognisable as human remains. Organs aren't just taken without asking; necrophiliacs can't just take their pick at the local morgue. We consider the wishes of the living person (and their families for that matter) when dealing with the body they've left behind.

For example, do you find the thought of organ donation more disturbing than the thought of cremation?

There have been quite a few cases just from this year where a person announced dead wasn't.

That's why I am not an organ donor. I'm a little phobic about being hacked up while still alive...

One could argue that your body is still 'you' even after it's no longer recognisable as human remains. Organs aren't just taken without asking; necrophiliacs can't just take their pick at the local morgue. We consider the wishes of the living person (and their families for that matter) when dealing with the body they've left behind.

For example, do you find the thought of organ donation more disturbing than the thought of cremation?

on a spiritual way I find both ways wrong, body needs to degrade and recycle. I am all about re-incarnation and letting life go on. Cremation is not letting the cycle continue and organ donation is prolonging life in parts...both are wrong in my terms of styling.

Back