Oracles and Quantum Physics

jahrastafaray

Registered Member
Hi!

As a layman in quantum physics area i, without any sort of prejudice or judgement of any kind, would like to know how does quantum physics explain the phenomena of oracles. what i wonder is that oracles such as nostradamus or edgar cayce are phenomena themselves. how do quantum physics explain such phenomena? what is an oracle according to quantum physics.

Nonexistent. :rolleyes:

And why are they nonexistent may i ask? i thought that quantum physics was all about believing. I don't say that i believe in them but let's say that they have foresaw or predicted certain events, how did they do it? some people told me that it should be related with density matrix, is that the case? or is there more in it?

No, there's nothing in it. The extrapolation of data and facts can predict certain properties of matter, but hocus-pocus isn't any part of QM whatsoever.

jahrastafary said:
what is an oracle according to quantum physics.
There is such a thing as a quantum oracle, however it's statistical. You might be getting metaphors mixed up--a quantum oracle doesn't "predict" outcomes or tell the future.

Thank you for replies. I think that the quantum physics has aligned itself with science more than i thought. The hard evidence and observability are more important for qp than ever, for it to be called a discipline. The origin of my question was the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, for a thing to be dead and alive at the same time, it seems pretty much hocus-pocus to me.( though one may see modern science itself as hocus pocus if he's willing.) Finally for arfa brane's reply, i know the quantum oracle, i didn't mean that. Thank you anyway.

P.S: "No, there's nothing in it. The extrapolation of data and facts can predict certain properties of matter, but hocus-pocus isn't any part of QM whatsoever." As a reply to this statement, i would like to ask isn't matter itself a thought of some sort? I mean if i recall correctly, thought has a density and a mass. So if one can think of a future, which is a matter once you think of it, you can predict it as you said above? Or am i gone completely mad or got lost?

Last edited:
The origin of my question was the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, for a thing to be dead and alive at the same time, it seems pretty much hocus-pocus to me.
I suggest you re-read the original point of the gedankenexperiment. Schrödinger was making exactly that point.

As a reply to this statement, i would like to ask isn't matter itself a thought of some sort?
Is it?

I mean if i recall correctly, thought has a density and a mass.
Really? You recall from where?

Or am i gone completely mad or got lost?
Lost. For example:
oracles such as nostradamus or edgar cayce are phenomena themselves
Neither of them were "oracles". Neither of them foretold the future.

"I suggest you re-read the original point of the gedankenexperiment. Schrödinger was making exactly that point."

What point? I didn't understand. For your second and third quotes, just google it, you'll see. For the last quote, I don't care what you think of them if you're not a quantum physicist, or even a student. Just because you say they are not oracles doesn't mean they aren't for the rest of the people, they foretold the future, both in their own different ways, nostradamus was said to be more enigmatic whereas Edgar cayce was more clear defining in their visions. I don't say that i believe in them too, but they are there even if we try to ignore them, so back to my original post, what are they.

"I suggest you re-read the original point of the gedankenexperiment. Schrödinger was making exactly that point."

What point? I didn't understand. For your second and third quotes, just google it, you'll see. For the last quote, I don't care what you think of them if you're not a quantum physicist, or even a student. Just because you say they are not oracles doesn't mean they aren't for the rest of the people, they foretold the future, both in their own different ways, nostradamus was said to be more enigmatic whereas Edgar cayce was more clear defining in their visions. I don't say that i believe in them too, but they are there even if we try to ignore them, so back to my original post, what are they.

What point? I didn't understand. For your second and third quotes, just google it, you'll see.
Is this a double standard?
You advise me to Google yet you obviously haven't bothered doing so for yourself.
For the record: site rules state that if you make a claim you should back it up.
As for the cat: Schrödinger's point was that since a cat isn't half alive and half dead at the same time then the "paradox" is in the interpretation.

For the last quote, I don't care what you think of them if you're not a quantum physicist, or even a student.
Oh dear, Double fail.
One: I have done quantum physics at degree level.
Two: quantum physics and cranks such as Nostradamus and Cayce have nothing to do with each other.

Just because you say they are not oracles doesn't mean they aren't for the rest of the people, they foretold the future, both in their own different ways, nostradamus was said to be more enigmatic whereas Edgar cayce was more clear defining in their visions. I don't say that i believe in them too, but they are there even if we try to ignore them, so back to my original post, what are they.
Neither of them foretold the future: Nostradamus's "predictions" are so nebulous that you can assign any meaning you wish to them (note that his "predictions" are lauded only after a particular event occurs and the idiots start saying "That must be what he meant").
Cayce on the other hand used a technique called "shotgunning": in other words he made so many "predictions" that some were bound to be close enough. Even a four year old can manage this. See also this thread from post 13 onwards.

Last edited:
Hi again. I did bother searching for thought and matter long before i've posted this thread, i'm not trying to speculate but to distinguish between what is nonsense and fact, i've read and watched that thought activates electrical and chemical impulses which are themselves substances. So therefore thought is carried on matter ( i know that this is a theory not a fact but i'm not posting my thread to science part but pseudoscience part) To be exact, where i watched it was that the documentary called "what the bleep do we know?", as for where i've read it, please just google it this is my second time this day that i've googled it why won't you do it just one time? For Schrödinger's cat experiment, i admit that i've made a mistake of not assuming that it's the observer not the observed is what's important there, WE assume that cat is both dead and alive, if i may give another example i would put forward the subatomic particles that are two places at the same time, isn't this a hocus pocus then? For your second quote double fail, you are challenging us to come up with evidence to support what we say, may i see your evidence that you have a degree?; no i can't but i will believe you so i will take your word for it and push no further this question of mine that oracles can be explained by quantum mechanics, for it is clear that qp sees these subjects as null, rather than trying to come up with an answer. I'm just disappointed that i thought qp can answer some of these controversial subjects in it's own way. Even though i agree with you that these "oracles" are nothing more than lucky guessers, i tried to believe that what they did was real and asked the question how qp can explain it. Thank you for your replies, have a nice day.

So therefore thought is carried on matter
Thought is "carried" on matter: that does not mean the thought itself is matter.

To be exact, where i watched it was that the documentary called "what the bleep do we know?"
"What the Bleep Do We Know" is not a documentary: it's a piece of new age trash that has nothing to do with science (and if you Google you'll find the few scientists that were involved have since complained that their words were edited and their meanings were twisted to suit the non-scientific premise of the video).

as for where i've read it, please just google it this is my second time this day that i've googled it why won't you do it just one time?
For two reasons:
1) YOU are supposed to back up your arguments, I'm not ehre to make your point for you.
2) It's wrong.

For Schrödinger's cat experiment, i admit that i've made a mistake of not assuming that it's the observer not the observed is what's important there, WE assume that cat is both dead and alive
And again you miss the point: Schrödinger's whole argument was to demonstrate the ridiculousness of that interpretation: cats cannot alive and dead at the same time.

if i may give another example i would put forward the subatomic particles that are two places at the same time, isn't this a hocus pocus then?
Also not correct: the particle is undefined as to position until it's checked.

For your second quote double fail, you are challenging us to come up with evidence to support what we say, may i see your evidence that you have a degree?
You failed to read.

Even though i agree with you that these "oracles" are nothing more than lucky guessers, i tried to believe that what they did was real and asked the question how qp can explain it. Thank you for your replies, have a nice day.
QP doesn't explain "oracles"; human psychology and statistics does.

Last edited:
The cat itself would collapse the wave function, if there is such a thing and if it only works through observation and not through mere interaction.

Hi. For the sake of arguing i will write one last time, then no matter what i will not reply to this thread. first quote; Thought is "carried" on matter: that does not mean the thought itself is matter. May i ask how do you carry a thing that doesn't have a substance? Do you suggest that computer data storaged as bytes which are carried by electrons does not have a mass? I think not. What's the difference between a thought and a data? I know that photons does not have a mass but they are relayed nonetheless if i have to play devil's advocate here but that's not my argument.

""What the Bleep Do We Know" is not a documentary: it's a piece of new age trash that has nothing to do with science (and if you Google you'll find the few scientists that were involved have since complained that their words were edited and their meanings were twistec to suit the non-scientific premise of the video."

Yeah one scientist complained and there are fallacies in that "so called" documentary i know that thank you i can think for myself and i assumed that the native story is too good to be true and there are other non-scientific claims but i also think that it's worth watching if you're a layman to qp and "new age trash". My point is what's your problem with new age and pseudoscience and why are you here if you do not slightly tend to believe the unbelievable? Very much of the topics in here have no support, they are just theories, some scientific, some not. You ask me to support my argument but you do not support yours either. I cannot post a link here but if you could go up a few posts namely the post eleven and click here link, on page two you also fail to support yours.

And again you miss the point: Schrödinger's whole argument was to demonstrate the ridiculousness of that interpretation: cats cannot alive and dead at the same time.

I think you are mixing interpretations, that was the copenhagen interpretation, Schrödinger's was something like this;

Schrödinger's famous thought experiment poses the question, when does a quantum system stop existing as a superposition of states and become one or the other? (More technically, when does the actual quantum state stop being a linear combination of states, each of which resembles different classical states, and instead begins to have a unique classical description?) If the cat survives, it remembers only being alive. But explanations of the EPR experiments that are consistent with standard microscopic quantum mechanics require that macroscopic objects, such as cats and notebooks, do not always have unique classical descriptions. The purpose of the thought experiment is to illustrate this apparent paradox. Our intuition says that no observer can be in a mixture of states; yet the cat, it seems from the thought experiment, can be such a mixture. Is the cat required to be an observer, or does its existence in a single well-defined classical state require another external observer? Each alternative seemed absurd to Albert Einstein, who was impressed by the ability of the thought experiment to highlight these issues. In a letter to Schrödinger dated 1950, he wrote:

You are the only contemporary physicist, besides Laue, who sees that one cannot get around the assumption of reality, if only one is honest. Most of them simply do not see what sort of risky game they are playing with reality—reality as something independent of what is experimentally established. Their interpretation is, however, refuted most elegantly by your system of radioactive atom + amplifier + charge of gunpowder + cat in a box, in which the psi-function of the system contains both the cat alive and blown to bits. Nobody really doubts that the presence or absence of the cat is something independent of the act of observation.

Thank you again for replying to my questions and argument. I hope everything will be answered one day.

P.S. And if "what the bleep do we know" is an epic fail, could you suggest me a good hard scientific documentary that explains the qp fundementally and realistically.

Hi. For the sake of arguing i will write one last time, then no matter what i will not reply to this thread. first quote; Thought is "carried" on matter: that does not mean the thought itself is matter. May i ask how do you carry a thing that doesn't have a substance? Do you suggest that computer data storaged as bytes which are carried by electrons does not have a mass? I think not.
Really?
The data is the pattern of those electrons or whatever. Therefore, roughly, and same-sized sequence of electrons will weigh exactly the same. What's the difference between "This is a meaningful sentence" and "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"? Which weighs more?

Yeah one scientist complained and there are fallacies in that "so called" documentary i know that thank you i can think for myself and i assumed that the native story is too good to be true and there are other non-scientific claims but i also think that it's worth watching if you're a layman to qp and "new age trash".
No is NOT worth watching because it's specious crap.

My point is what's your problem with new age and pseudoscience and why are you here if you do not slightly tend to believe the unbelievable?
To try and correct the people that fall for such utter nonsense as "What the Bleep Do We Know".

You ask me to support my argument but you do not support yours either.
Let's try again.
Regardless of not being able to post actual links you could leave out the www, or simply otherwise reference the page you mean.
I don't support my statements because I haven't made claims that are nonsense. And as for the "failure" to support my claims on the page you refer to: if you'd actually read the argument I was fully prepared to once the original claimant had posted anything of substance.

I think you are mixing interpretations, that was the copenhagen interpretation
No I'm not. If you bother reading Schrödinger you'll find that his "experiment" was intended to point out the fallacy.

The Double Slit Experiment is the simplest way of implying that Data can be transferred without mass, this is of course not what the experiment intended to prove.

Err..

Read something a while ago about retrocausality and the double slit experiment.
I think the idea was to observe photons from a distance (how does one do that I wonder) and you can make them decohere before you observe them.

Very weird and very theoretical.
Anyone wanna run with this?

Dee Cee

Back