Online Plagiarism

Online Plagiarism on sciforums is...

• Total voters

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
Since it is very easy to steal content from the web by simply copying and pasting, the problem of online plagiarism is growing.[citation needed] This phenomenon, also known as content scraping, is affecting both established sites [3] and blogs [4].

Free online tools are becoming available to help identify plagiarism [5], and there is a range of approaches that attempt to limit online copying, such as disabling right clicking and placing warning banners regarding copyrights on web pages. Instances of plagiarism that involve copyright violation may be addressed by the rightful content owners sending a DMCA removal notice to the offending site-owner, or to the ISP that is hosting the offending site.

It is important to reiterate that plagiarism is not the mere copying of text, but the presentation of another's ideas as one's own, regardless of the specific words or constructs used to express that idea. In contrast, many so-called plagiarism detection services can only detect blatant word-for-word copies of text.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

What are the consequences of online plagiarism?

Depends what its for. And actually I don't think there really is any punishment out side of the educational system except maybe for being sued.

It depends on the context. If you plagiarize in an academic paper, the consequences are the same whether the content came from an online source or from a hardcopy book.

If you plagiarize in a blog or a post online, someone may point it out to you. That's the whole punishment. In fact, in that context, suppose you read something and agree with it whole-heartedly. In such an informal setting, why would you necessarily re-write it to express the exact same idea in a slightly different way?

The difference between the two is that in an academnic context, the goal is to generate an original idea or position. It is generally an intellectual exercise designed to make you think and analyze. Plagiarizing short-circuits that by letting you skip doing your own analysis and thought.

In other contexts, where the goal is simply to state your beliefs or recite facts, plagiarism doesn't interefere with that. In that case, the only issue is your using another person's intellectual property without their consent, which is copyright infringement (unless an exemption applies) and I am sure a clever lawyer can find state common law violations to sue under as well. That there are torts involved suggest that the use is "wrong" though nothing will happen unless the original author wishes to take the matter to litigation. As we all know, most people online today think of copyrights as 'optional' unless the infringer is making actual cash money on it (merely saving money by downloading music/books/games/magazines/movies/programs/etc. you'd otherwise have paid for, apparently does not count).

What if you copy paste and present the idea as your own, without citing any source? Or giving any indication [such as quotation marks or tags] that it is not your own work? Is the forum liable for it?

Again it depends what it is. A forum is more like a "conversation" with written words and not a place of published works so just like you would be speaking in real life, no one really cites.

What if you copy paste and present the idea as your own, without citing any source? Or giving any indication [such as quotation marks or tags] that it is not your own work? Is the forum liable for it?

I wouldn't think so...but I'm not a lawyer. :) I personally think posting someone else's work and claiming it to be your own is unethical and goes against "netiquette"...especially on a science board.

There was a guy on another science forum that go to, that was posting some very complex science theories, that were way over my head, but something was funny about them...because the writing style was different. (This guy could barely form sentences on his own, and these posts were well written)

Just to find out a little more of what he was talking about, I googled the subject line, and found another science forum, with an identical word for word post by another completely different person. I joined the forum just to post a reply asking if he ever posted under the name (the guy's name), and he said no...never heard of him.

It was so much fun to re-post the entire original and ask the guy if it looked familiar...we didn't hear much from him after that. :)

SAM we fall under the reproduction for resurch section which is fine as long as its less than a chapter or 10% (whichever is greater)

The lack of referencing is the bigger problem

The administrators could potentially be liable if we knew about it (for example, we were informed and a request was made to delete the plagiarised post but we took no action). More generally, posters are liable for the content of their own posts, in the same way. Views expressed on sciforums are not necessarily the views of administrators or moderators, but are the views of individual posters.

If a poster copies text verbatim from somewhere else and does not acknowledge the source, that poster may be in breach of copyright, though most copyright laws make certain allowances for commentary, review and other types of "fair use".

The safest approach is to always acknowledge sources. A link to the original source is probably sufficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism said:
Since it is very easy to steal content from the web by simply copying and pasting, the problem of online plagiarism is growing.[citation needed]

How ironic ! lol

The problem with plagiarism on these boards is that there is a fine line between presenting another persons opinions as your own and adopting another person's opinion because you agree with it, and mirroring their explanation. In an academic context if I take what you wrote, then reword it a bit so that it reads differently but expresses the same thought, that's plagiarism.

In everyday life, though, I can't tell you how many people parrot back what they read in the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal, presented as if it were their own analysis. I think the whole rise in the popularity of TV pundits is based on people doing just that. If people were doing their own thinking they would not need pundits, they'd need news. Instead, we have entire cable news networks presenting punditry as if it were the same thing as news coverage. People take what Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Keith Olberman, Chris Matthews, et al, say to heart and they adopt it as their own.

In that sense, there are a lot of plagiarizers out there. As a result, and because I don't completely condemn that phenomenon, I think "plagiarism" has its place in informal discussions like these. It's poor form to cut and paste from someone else's work without attribution, and that should be discouraged, but forbidden? I don't think that would be a good idea.

Not citing sources is dishonest and it serves to keep people from judging sources by their own merit.

If posters continue to not cite the sources for material for their posts, moderators should start deleting these posts for lack of providing sources. It is the duty of a poster to reveal his sources, without which there can not be proper debate. How can you argue with un-sourced material?

For example, someone can quote a long list of events to discredit a particular religion or belief playing on the ignorance of the sources to spread his/her viewpoint.

I always cite the sources I use, especially during a debate. I expect others to do this as well.

i think he is saying that its illegal and unethical but its on the indervidual posters and not the mods to deal with the coniquences of it

(Insert title here)

S.A.M. said:

Tiassa has an interesting voting pattern but no comments?

A bad mouse click is all. I reject plagiarism. And I'm heading out the door shortly, so I'll get to the commentary ... um, later.

The biggest problem I have is that people don't know what plagiarism is. Not citing a source does not automatically = plagiarism.

In an academic context if I take what you wrote, then reword it a bit so that it reads differently but expresses the same thought, that's plagiarism..........................In that sense, there are a lot of plagiarizers out there.

that is ridiculous. in any given situation, the possible perspectives are not infinite. just because rush expounded on an particular angle does not mean others cannot use the same rationale to reach the same conclusion

biology and logic compels humans towards a conformity of thought
being original simply means one was the first to publish. it does not mean one is unique or privy to epistemological tools and methods not availed to others

Back