One of my life's goals complete.

Idle Mind

What the hell, man?
Valued Senior Member
Well, my spirits have been lifted after the completion of one of my life's goals: the sighting of an adult Felis concolor (cougar/puma/mountain lion). They are by far my favourite 'large cat', and they are one of my favourite mammals. Everything about them interests me.

How the story of the sighting goes: my dad comes home (my parents have been generous to let me live at home for free while I do my undergrad here in town) and goes around the side of the house to put something away, the time being 11 pm, so it's dark. He hears a rustling in the bushes between our yard and our neighbour's. When he speaks to my mom, the thing kind of charges into the fence, making a bunch of noise, and then crosses into our neighbour's yard. My parents are thinking that it is a kid possibly trying to break in, since they didn't know I was home.

So my dad runs in and, looking for a flashlight, makes his way to the garage. I follow wondering what the hell has got him so excited. He intends to go along the street with the flashlight and intercept the would-be thieves. Now, as an interjection, the neighbour's property is at a corner of two streets. This means that the far side of their property is a street, as well as the side that our house faces. Anyways, we get on our bikes, and ride down the road, rounding the corner in front of our neighbour's house. Beside their driveway, I'm sure I see something slink through the shadows, but I don't say anything. He turns on the flashlight a second or two later (too late to see what I was looking at) and we scan the end of the neighbour's property and the next one. We turn around. As we start riding back, the cat slowly bounds across the street and easily hops across the ditch at the roadside, and enters the woods. It was about 30 feet away, and pretty much directly under a street lamp.

I am 100% positive that it was indeed a cougar. The tail was too long, about the same length as it's body. It's movement was effortless, and it was dead silent. It wasn't until we rode by making a lot of noise that it threw caution to the wind, and we could hear it push through the underbrush. All in all, I would estimate it's length to be 8 or 9 feet, tail included. I am convinced that the cougar was the shadow I saw slinking along, as it crossed at about the point where I saw it settle to watch us.

Now, I live on Vancouver Island in Canada, which has the most dense cougar population in the world. However, they are a very elusive species, and are rarely sighted, even by avid hikers. Never did I imagine that one would be in my yard, as I live close to major roadways and shopping centers. I guess it was inevitable though.

I'm very happy that I was priveleged enough to catch a glimpse of it, as fleeting as it was. Although, it makes me a little nervous knowing that a creature that wields so much grace and power, and can remain hidden so well is in my area. I walk through the woods that it retreated into every time I go to work. Oh well, I'm sure it will move along soon enough.

That's pretty cool!

I still get excited when I see red fox or a wild turkey cross the field behind our house. It's a rare sighting with the fox but they're making a rebound in my area.

now this is a good reason to bring a camera with you on those walks ;) I remember chasing a bear down in Yosemite with a camcorder in the middle of the night!

You sir, are insane. What kind of bear was it?

There is quite a bit of mystique surrounding the cougar on the island here. There are legends of a people that used to live on the island that were known as the Cougar people by the other Native tribes. If you ask one of the remaining elders in BC, you may or may not get a response, as there is much fear in regards to these people and the animal they represent (or the represents them). However, if you happen to ask one willing to recall the stories, you will hear tales of a vicious, cannibalistic people that kept themselves well hidden, and attacked at night, quickly and quietly, killing everyone in the camp that they were attacking. They were feared by anyone who knew of them, and were referred to as cougars due to the manner in which they travelled, and in which they attacked: quietly and efficiently. However, the cougar people disappeared around the same time as the first European explorers, and were never seen again.

I haven't had the opportunity to speak with any such elders, but I think it would be a fascinating experience. The stories and legends of the cougar people are why you will never see a cougar on a totem pole, which are very interesting in themselves. I must clarify, as an edit, that this is a Coast Salish legend. The cougar has different representation with different groups of people. This discovered after a google search for "cougar people".

I seem to be rambling, so I will stop. It's just so exciting, that's all.

Last edited:
Yes I was!, it was a grizzle (I think was brown not black) it had manage to break the lock off the bear "proof" food containers the camps had and was eating all our food just 10 feet from the tent! My father and step mother were in total terror, while I was like “sweeeet!” and furiously trying to get the camcorder to work, and then the bear must have heard something it did not like because it looked up and then began to walk away and I was like “Dam you, get back here now bitch!” I manage to get the camcorder working then got out of the tent and chases it off the camping lots, bare foot, trying to get a good shot of it, I have the tape some where its pretty bad (in the dark and all) but I did get some shots of the bear! Aaah what it was like being 13 :)

Cool.
There aren't really any cool land animals where I live(australia) I've seen them all, pretty boring, but my dad has a boat and I've seen heaps of cool sea-creatures: dolphins, porpoises, whales, sharks, sea snakes, little squids, turtles, a sea horse(I think it was dead) etc etc.
But probably the coolest thing I saw was giant tuna leaping out of the water hunting shoals of herring. Flocks of sea birds would follow them and we'd follow the birds and then all of a sudden huge fish would be leaping out of the water all around our boat. It was one of those wierd tingly experiences, so was seeing humpback whales actually.
Animals are awesome, I can't understand people who have no interest in them whatsoever, I can only take so much of humans before I'm bored.

Back