Oldest Civilization/Language?

one_raven

God is a Chinese Whisper
Valued Senior Member
I am doing some research and was hoping some of you can help.

If a mod thinks this fits better in another sub-forum, feel free to move it.

I know there are many opinions regarding the oldest civilizations/languages in the world.
Most accounts I have read point to:

Phoenicians - I read that the Phoenicians based their written language on the Egyptian Heiroglyphs.
I read that their history goes back to ancient India (10,000 BCE).
I read that they originated language and all the languages on earth can be traced back to them.

Sumerians - Coptic. Claimed by many to be the creator of the first civilization, and the first written accounts of creation of man (the first religion).

Indians - Sanskrit (Devanagari). The Vedas say that "God-men" brought Sanskrit to Earth men as a language of musical tones.

It is difficult to separate fact from fiction from opinion.
Does anyone know of a reliable objective source that presents the available facts in an unbiased way?

Thanks

Who could Really know these things? Archaeologists are discovering new things all the time... concepts of history and evolution are changing with new discoveries. All I can suggest is to read a couple of recent authoritative books on the subject and make your own mind up. Personally, I think man has been around far longer than we suppose, it's just that the evidence has been destroyed over time.

We are told that the oldest human remains stem from Africa, so wouldn't it be feasible that parts of ancient Africa had developed civilizations? Maybe they were based on wood, which was plentiful and which would have already rotted away by thousands of years ago, therefore, there is no evidence.

The oldest people in terms of genetics are probably the bushmen of the Kalahari, but wether their culture is the oldest, I don't know.

one_raven said:
I am doing some research and was hoping some of you can help.

If a mod thinks this fits better in another sub-forum, feel free to move it.

I know there are many opinions regarding the oldest civilizations/languages in the world.

It is difficult to separate fact from fiction from opinion.
Does anyone know of a reliable objective source that presents the available facts in an unbiased way?

Thanks
try the science forum, under Human science, since you are posing an anthropology question. If you want hard science, you should post at college chatrooms, institutes, or org websites. Look for authorities, published data via Google. I've gotten responses from college profs & researchers before.

Back