Older Brain Really May Be a Wiser Brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmguru

Staff member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/h...45984e523a9f97&ex=1211515200&pagewanted=print

When older people can no longer remember names at a cocktail party, they tend to think that their brainpower is declining. But a growing number of studies suggest that this assumption is often wrong.

Instead, the research finds, the aging brain is simply taking in more data and trying to sift through a clutter of information, often to its long-term benefit.

The studies are analyzed in a new edition of a neurology book, “Progress in Brain Research.”

Such tendencies can yield big advantages in the real world, where it is not always clear what information is important, or will become important. A seemingly irrelevant point or suggestion in a memo can take on new meaning if the original plan changes. Or extra details that stole your attention, like others’ yawning and fidgeting, may help you assess the speaker’s real impact.

Jacqui Smith, a professor of psychology and research professor at the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan, who was not involved in the current research, said there was a word for what results when the mind is able to assimilate data and put it in its proper place — wisdom.

“These findings are all very consistent with the context we’re building for what wisdom is,” she said. “If older people are taking in more information from a situation, and they’re then able to combine it with their comparatively greater store of general knowledge, they’re going to have a nice advantage.”

-------------------------------------

What is your experience?

Actually I don't agree with that because as one ages one tends to forget many things due to the brain cells deterioration as we age. That means we forget stuff and tend to lose track of many things that could help in being "wiser".

Only if you have the early stages of alzheimers....

The cell deterioration starts after age 20. The humans have a lot of redundancy built in. People even remain as a political leader with malignant brain tumor...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/h...45984e523a9f97&ex=1211515200&pagewanted=print

When older people can no longer remember names at a cocktail party, they tend to think that their brainpower is declining. But a growing number of studies suggest that this assumption is often wrong.

Instead, the research finds, the aging brain is simply taking in more data and trying to sift through a clutter of information, often to its long-term benefit.

The studies are analyzed in a new edition of a neurology book, “Progress in Brain Research.”

Such tendencies can yield big advantages in the real world, where it is not always clear what information is important, or will become important. A seemingly irrelevant point or suggestion in a memo can take on new meaning if the original plan changes. Or extra details that stole your attention, like others’ yawning and fidgeting, may help you assess the speaker’s real impact.

Jacqui Smith, a professor of psychology and research professor at the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan, who was not involved in the current research, said there was a word for what results when the mind is able to assimilate data and put it in its proper place — wisdom.

“These findings are all very consistent with the context we’re building for what wisdom is,” she said. “If older people are taking in more information from a situation, and they’re then able to combine it with their comparatively greater store of general knowledge, they’re going to have a nice advantage.”

-------------------------------------

What is your experience?

I have difficulty understanding what constitutes a wise brain. One can, perhaps , argue that wisdom comes with age and experience and this is a function of memory and analytical ability. So, if that is the sort of thing meant by a wise brain I tend to agree but it cannot be said that we are all wiser just because we have become older. I'm not sure that I am; I would prefer to say that life has taught me a few lessons, as a result of which I am less foolish. But in the same breath I would want to say that I do foolish things on occasions, which bring to mind similar stupid things I did many years ago. There are lessons I failed to learn or remember.

I think, the wise brain is the result of varied and large amount of experience which is proportaional to vast amount of disparate information. It is that large quantities of information that provides the benefit. It is the difference between the lessons learned at 5th grade and the lessons upto graduate studies. Ofcourse if one can not utilize that information to make the correct decisions that is a whole different matter.

I always thought the wise brain or idea of a wise person was because many tribal cultures didn't have the ability to write and so the store of information about far away places and myths and other stories etc... were kept with in the oldest brains. Which plant to eat, which not to, which was good for this or that....

You thought it correct. Even today with all the external storage devices, one still needs a wise person to be a President to make wise choices - not Morons....:D

So wise is just a word to describe an experienced and knowledgeable person, not because of the greatness of his/her brain but solely because of age ?

You thought it correct. Even today with all the external storage devices, one still needs a wise person to be a President to make wise choices - not Morons....:D

Actually you need a wise person to hire the best people for helping them do their jobs as best they can. Many companies as well as dictators , kings and presidents all surround themselves with very intelligent and also wise people to help them make the best decisions.

So wise is just a word to describe an experienced and knowledgeable person, not because of the greatness of his/her brain but solely because of age ?

You know, you can have a great brain with nothing in it. The experience over the time is what accumulates the knowledge until we can upload petabytes of information in 1 hour. Then the advantage of the age will disappear.

Until then we have to do the old fashioned way...get it? :D

Actually you need a wise person to hire the best people for helping them do their jobs as best they can. Many companies as well as dictators , kings and presidents all surround themselves with very intelligent and also wise people to help them make the best decisions.

Are you saying, we have some very stupid people in the government and even in business that are making those moronic decisions that is causing this financial and social crisis?

Are you saying, we have some very stupid people in the government and even in business that are making those moronic decisions that is causing this financial and social crisis?

The crisis is for some of the people don't forget because the wise know where to put their money and they have money to invest because they were wise enough to take it away from everyone else weren't they. ;)

You know, you can have a great brain with nothing in it. The experience over the time is what accumulates the knowledge until we can upload petabytes of information in 1 hour. Then the advantage of the age will disappear.

Until then we have to do the old fashioned way...get it? :D

I gather that is a "yes"..

The crisis is for some of the people don't forget because the wise know where to put their money and they have money to invest because they were wise enough to take it away from everyone else weren't they. ;)

At the expense of the country or the society? Where is the Wisdom in that? It is more like Greed! Should not the public servants be smart eough to do something?

Almost 58% of Argentines now live on or below the poverty line according to the government's own figures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2715367.stm

Almost 58% of Argentines now live on or below the poverty line according to the government's own figures.

If you look at America you will find a trend that is starting to mirror them as well.

If you look at America you will find a trend that is starting to mirror them as well.

38 million Americans (2004?) live below the poverty line, but heritage foundation contends that they live rich compared to people in Sudan....

Locally, the recipients of the government food program is growing 5% per month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back