Old People and the law

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
Justice says we are to treat everyone equally. Under the law, we make allowances for children. Same allowances are made for the insane. Should we also make allowances for old people?
Should we cut them some slack?

91-Year-Old Jailed 8 Days For Alleged Threat On Nurse

DeLAND, Fla. -- A 91-year-old World War II veteran spent eight days in jail after being accused of threatening his caregiver who apparently refused to let him take a walk around his assisted-living facility.

William Kepler was arrested at Deerfoot Manor Alf, an assisted-living home in DeLand, after an incident involving his nurse.

DeLand police were called to the facility, and Kepler was arrested after police said he refused to obey their commands. Kepler said officers used excessive force on him during the incident.

After eight days in custody, James Floyd, who did not know Kepler, paid a $6,000 bond and took him into his own home.

"There is no excuse for what they did to him, especially when he did not show a firearm or pull a firearm or pull a weapon," Floyd said. "They just flat took him down."

Floyd said he bailed the 91-year-old out of jail because it upset him that he was behind bars.

"This man here, he fought for his country. He fought for me. He fought for you. That's why we're here. If it wasn't for him, this would be a messed up place. It tears me up," Floyd said.

Kepler admitted that he had a fake gun on his person but said he never pulled it out, according to the Local 6 News report.

"They should have an ethical (manager) in there watching them and correcting them. They are plenty wrong," Kepler said of the assisted-living home. "They need a legitimate, honest person to guide them because they're crooks."

The DeLand Police Department said any force was used because they said Kepler did not obey to their commands.

14192673_240X180.jpg

Justice says we are to treat everyone equally. Under the law, we make allowances for children. Same allowances are made for the insane. Should we also make allowances for old people?

Geez, why don't we just make "allowances" for everyone equally? If a person doesn't want to obey the rules and laws, then make allowances ...let them disobey any rules and laws that they want to? Sure, great idea.

Baron Max

Why was he concealing a fake gun at a assisted living facility? Perhaps he brandished it before the police arrived and the administration told the police they saw a gun not knowing if it were real or not. Again this type of media coverage doesn't give us the "entire" story, only just enough to make us get all excited about nothing once again. Are the media ever going to stop this type of journalism or are they going to keep sinking into the depths of uttter bullshit in order to get people to get upset about the police.

I don't see what his being a vet has to do with anything. Maybe he shot himself in the foot to go home before battle. Maybe he killed a lot of his own people. Maybe he went in the army cause he likes killing. Who knows? I don't see why a non-vet should consider him or herself more deserving of a beating and arrest.

91-Year-Old Jailed 8 Days For Alleged Threat On Nurse

DeLAND, Fla. -- A 91-year-old World War II veteran spent eight days in jail after being accused of threatening his caregiver who apparently refused to let him take a walk around his assisted-living facility.

William Kepler was arrested at Deerfoot Manor Alf, an assisted-living home in DeLand, after an incident involving his nurse.

DeLand police were called to the facility, and Kepler was arrested after police said he refused to obey their commands. Kepler said officers used excessive force on him during the incident.

"There is no excuse for what they did to him, especially when he did not show a firearm or pull a firearm or pull a weapon," Floyd said. "They just flat took him down."

Kepler admitted that he had a fake gun on his person but said he never pulled it out, according to the Local 6 News report.

"They should have an ethical (manager) in there watching them and correcting them. They are plenty wrong," Kepler said of the assisted-living home. "They need a legitimate, honest person to guide them because they're crooks."

The DeLand Police Department said any force was used because they said Kepler did not obey to their commands.

According to another version:

"On Sept. 14, he is accused of pointing a gun at a caregiver at Deerfoot Manor, where he had stayed overnight after being discharged from Florida Hospital DeLand. He told the caretaker he was going for a walk. On his walk, police tackled and arrested him when he refused to follow orders. They found a loaded gun and Taser, according to a report."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD03092207.htm

Another story from the same website:

"where Kepler said he tried to bluff his way out with a gun."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD02092407.htm

While it may be disturbing to visualize this encounter between the old guy and the police, he threatened someone with a gun and you dont get to do that no matter how old you are.

Geez, why don't we just make "allowances" for everyone equally? If a person doesn't want to obey the rules and laws, then make allowances ...let them disobey any rules and laws that they want to? Sure, great idea.

Baron Max

<sigh> why do people think I agree with it when I ask a question about it? I think its telling that a 91 yr old man had to be bailed out of jail by a stranger after that long. I bet he has been a mean old coot most of his life and has burned his bridges with his family long ago.
The fake gun.....yeah. Who does that in an assited living facility???

Reminds me of a story from about a year ago, the cops raided an old lady's home(I think without warning of warrant IDing themselves as cops) and she though they were gang members at first and started to SHOOT at them. They took her out.

I agree with Orleander: Cull old people.

Me, too. And I'm an old fart! Old people live to fuckin' long ...all they do it hinder the advances of the young. Just think about history ...the founders of the USA were young people full of piss and vinegar and idealism. What if they'd all been old farts full of foolish conservatism and caution?

Baron Max

Hell they should re-up that old WWII vet and send his ass to EEeeeeRAQ! Put him on a MADeuce detail(bound to be another wingnut ready to drive an olde surplus Jeep with an pintle mount) and treat him like a fire and forget weapon. Give em a taste of western "suicide" missions.

Hell they should re-up that old WWII vet and send his ass to EEeeeeRAQ! Put him on a MADeuce detail(bound to be another wingnut ready to drive an olde surplus Jeep with an pintle mount) and treat him like a fire and forget weapon. Give em a taste of western "suicide" missions.

Well, I think that's fine. But just remember, westerners don't do suicide missions ...they only go on missions where they have a chance of winning and returning. Muslims are the ones who love killing themselves!

Baron Max

Me, too. And I'm an old fart! Old people live to fuckin' long ...all they do it hinder the advances of the young. Just think about history ...the founders of the USA were young people full of piss and vinegar and idealism. What if they'd all been old farts full of foolish conservatism and caution?

Baron Max

You can't fix everything, but you could remove one old person and his conservative ideas from the debate.

no we should show remores to older people, it anoys me when an old person can have a go at the younger person for throwing litter in the street when the next day your walking along and the very same woman drops litter.

no we should show remores to older people, it anoys me when an old person can have a go at the younger person for throwing litter in the street when the next day your walking along and the very same woman drops litter.

And younger kids/people don't show the exact some hypocrisy?

Baron Max

And younger kids/people don't show the exact some hypocrisy?

Baron Max

yes sure they do but they shouldnt have the law relaxed for them any more than old people.

and also why is it, older people walk diagnolay accross the road, do they have a shield of steal or a shield of repsect or somthing, or is it, if they dont lok into the road they dont see the car and then the car cant hurt them!!

Back