Ok, now [i]I[/i] am offended by a reality show

Mystech

Adult Supervision Required
Registered Senior Member
Ok, now I am offended by a reality show

Similar in format to ABC's "The Bachelor," "Boy Meets Boy" features an eligible man looking for love in a pool of 15 potential mates. But in a twist worthy of the bogus baron on Fox's "Joe Millionaire," some of the suitors are actually heterosexual men who were paid by the program to pretend to be gay -- unbeknownst to the eligible bachelor.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030527/tv_nm/television_bravo_dc_1

Ok, when I first heard about a gay dating show on primetime television (even if it's on a little nothing of a channel) I kind of got excited, not because dating shows are exactly my forte, but it seemed pretty progressive to me. After reading a bit more, however, I realized that they decided to throw in a completely unnesisary little catch, that being that some guys are just being payed to pretend that they are gay.

First off, the format where a dozen people are trying to win over one other person just seems completely degrading and unappealing to me. Add to that the extreem akwardness of having heterosexuals payed to act as though they are gay into the mix and I just feel that this show is going to be a disaster, not to mention the fact that the moral implications are just baffling.

Anyway, while I choke back my own vomit at the very idea of this show, what is everyone elses opinion?

Last edited:
I'm not really against it. The onus is on the hetero's to bail out if they don't feel comfortable. Otherwise, whats the harm? Hurt feelings? Spilt milk?

If the gay guy becomes heartbroken, he can blame himself for trusting those damn producers. They're not trying to find him a mate. -- They're only trying to sell him to audiences and advertisers. That's what they always try to do.

I don't like those kinds of shows, though. So I wouldn't watch it anyways.

In Survivor you win by votes, not by being most capable of surviving in a hostile environment.

Joe Millionaire wasn't a millionaire.

MTV's Real World gave us a peek into the totally realistic scenario of giving a killer house to a group of very above-average-looking young people, each with a personality trait that just happens to put them at odds with at least one other member of the household (a feminist and a womanizer, a practicing Christian and a militant atheist, etc.).

The only thing missing from "reality television" is the reality.

Re: Re: Ok, now I am offended by a reality show

Originally posted by Galt
The only thing missing from "reality television" is the reality.

Well you've got a good point there. Most reality shows need some sort of factor which makes the setting just a bit more like throwing two cats in a sack and then beating them with sticks. If we really wanted reality we wouldn't be turning to TV.

im never much of a fan of reality shows.. or most tv for that matter. but there is one im watching regularly called American supermodel (i think) its only been on for two episodes, and its pretty realistic. kind of like american idol only without the rude judges trying to one-up each other all time.

as for the bachelor(S) ;) i have to agree.. throwing in hetero men is wrong. i mean, it wold be like putting marriend women on the bachelor. whats the point? i dont think the show would go over well. Most heteros would be bothered by a homo dating show and most homos would be bothered by the rudeness of the show. i guess its viewers will be mainly asexual. lol.

Ok, lets turn it around. Do a bachelor type show but replace some of the women with really convincing transvestites, see how that goes over. Of course that would never happen and thats what bugs me about the shows concept. On the otherhand they're getting so desperate to get audiences its becoming quite entertaining, not the shows themselves but the lengths the creators will go to.

Yes, that sounded like an evil reality show, like "let's see if we can fool the homosexual and then laugh at him".

Or for that matter, what about the straight guys who are trying to act gay? I think that'll be painful at best, I have the feeling that you'll be able to tell which ones are straight because they'll be acting the flamiest, limp wrists, lisps and what have you, and then probably try to tone it down a bit after a while when they realize they're acting like morons.

What is it with reality shows anyway? It was bad enough before but now they are going far enough as to show straightmen pretending to be gay?? Reality or should I say real life, is bad enough without tacky shows about reality or real life making it that much sadder.

And will someone please tell me, in who's reality does it occur that a guy given a dozen women or so from which he has to choose a bride, or where a supposed millionaire is locked up somewhere to choose a bride only to tell her at the end of the lengthy process "guess what hun, I'm not a millionaire!!".. etc...

That produces call this form of entertainment reality frightens me because I have to ask myself, what reality are they living in...

:eek:

Yes, they are not really "Reality" tv shows, but more a sort of demented gameshow of sorts.

First of all, I must say that any heterosexual man who participates is really asking for a load of shit when he gets home. He will never live that down in today's society. Especially if he is actually the one the guy picks. Totally messed up to begin with. This is how gay men end up dead, heteros can't handle being hit on by them, there's too much masculinity at risk. God...I really hate society today.

Anyway, this is downright cruel. As if homosexuals don't have enough crap to deal with.

I can't really get myself to the point where I would feel genuinely bad, however. I cannot sympathize with anyone willing to attempt to meet someone on a reality television show. They're out for their 15 minutes or something.

DarkEyedBeauty,

funny you say that. To me (though im hetro so i guess i cant truly know) if anyone would be hassled by their piers it'd be the gay men, if indeed they are aware of the show's premise from the start. I'd think actual gay men being a part of such an awful thing would be much more personally offensive to their community because their own were knowingly involved.

i'd like to see a heterosexual reality dating show where all the players are actually gay and only tell the bachelor after he's picked her. but that's downright evil as well.

^ to make it a happing ending, you could tell the bachelor that he still gets her, plus her g/f! lmao....

Back