Oil on microscope lens

nucleotideboy

Registered Member
Hello all. New member, so first thing's first: hello!

I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice. Some plum in our lab has managed to get immersion oil on one of our dry lenses. Does anybody know a safe way to try and save the lens?

Thanks in advance.

Hi nucleotideboy. :wave: Welcome. Your name bodes well. ;)

Gaahhh! Oil on a dry lens – one of the cardinal sins of microscopy! :mad:

The standard oil-cleaning procedure is appropriate. Squirt some ethanol on lens tissue and gently wipe across the lens in a uniform direction. Five or six wipes is sufficient. Use a different part of the lens tissue with each wipe. Follow by gently wiping with a dry lens tissue to remove any residual ethanol.

Never rub a lens in a circular motion! Always wipe in a straight line across the lens.

I was taught that if you are careless and have grit in your lens tissue, rubbing in a circular motion runs the danger of grinding a deep scratch into your lens.

I was taught that if you are careless and have grit in your lens tissue, rubbing in a circular motion runs the danger of grinding a deep scratch into your lens.

Hmm ok, makes sense.
In camera manuals it always says that you should wipe clockwise though. Not the same thing of course.

DON'T USE ACETONE!

That about all I can think of as don'ts, really just some chemwipes and soap water or ethanol, or what ever... just not acetone.

Thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated. And I look forward to becoming an active member here. I'm a total science junky so look forward to chatting!

Hi nucleotideboy. :wave: Welcome. Your name bodes well. ;)

Gaahhh! Oil on a dry lens – one of the cardinal sins of microscopy! :mad:

The standard oil-cleaning procedure is appropriate. Squirt some ethanol on lens tissue and gently wipe across the lens in a uniform direction. Five or six wipes is sufficient. Use a different part of the lens tissue with each wipe. Follow by gently wiping with a dry lens tissue to remove any residual ethanol.

Never rub a lens in a circular motion! Always wipe in a straight line across the lens.

Do you use undiluted ethanol?

Back