Oh... my.. god.. ever heard of tree man?

chris4355

Registered Senior Member
"Half Man Half Tree

32 year old Dede Kosawa is one of the world's most extraordinary people. He lives in a remote village in Indonesia with his two children, trying to care for them. Dede, a former fisherman, has an incredible skin condition: he has root like structures growing out of his body - branches that can grow up to 5cm a year and which protrude from his hands and feet, and welts covering his whole body. "

Entire Article:

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/web/my-shocking-story/previous-episodes/half-man-half-tree/

heard of him. i'm not sure what'd be more horrific: if it kept getting worse and worse, or if simple compound w would fix it

Yeah his pics have been been floating around on the net for years.

When the surgeons got all his wart tissue removed on his hands, they were trying to restore his use of them, but they found his bones had simply dissolved from not being used all those years.

He will never have use of his hands.

Discovery channel did a documentary on him, his treatment, the doctor from America who wanted to treat him but could not get any money to do so. etc.

I saw that 2 part documentary. Poor guy, it was horrific. He does look much better now though.

There was a feature last week in that series about people who's bones turn to a stone like substance and they end up not being able to move at all.

There are still some horrific type diseases out there that have no known cures.

There's some pretty terrible stuff out there, for sure--a few years ago I read the original account of the life of the Elephant Man; it was written by Sir Frederick Treves, the man who looked after him after Merrick was rescued from the freak shows of London. Boy, that guy had a hard life.

Yeah his pics have been been floating around on the net for years.

When the surgeons got all his wart tissue removed on his hands, they were trying to restore his use of them, but they found his bones had simply dissolved from not being used all those years.

He will never have use of his hands.

Discovery channel did a documentary on him, his treatment, the doctor from America who wanted to treat him but could not get any money to do so. etc.

Actually the Indonesian government stepped in and wouldn't let the American Doctor treat Him after He became a cause Celeb, they thought it reflected poorly on the Government because their health system had abandoned him to his disease.

The American Doctor had a treatment plane based on Vitamin A which would correct the immune problem that allowed for the growth of the warts, as surgery would only relieve the problem temporally.

The problem is in his immune system, human papillomavirus, HPV, and a rare immune deficiency, according to Doctor Anthony Gaspari.

Gaspari, from the University of Maryland and specializing in immune function of the skin, sat on the press panel with a team of experts. He talked about how he first became involved in helping to treat Dede.

"I was actually asked by The Discovery Channel to join them and to study this patient and confirm what kind of health problem he had," said Gaspari. "I was also interested in this case to see what I could do to help this patient."

Gaspari's initial involvement in this case created a local firestorm. Dede's blood samples were reportedly taken out of the country without the government's permission, so the government banned Dr. Gaspari from the case, it wasn't because of a lack of money as the Dr. was treating Dede probono.

The Discovery channel documentary clearly stated it was due to money he needed to put together a therapy.

That's where I got that notion.

I thought the treatment was a chemo type of thing, to target fast replicating cells in the warts?

If you're inclined to gawk at the tree man for too long, I suggest you send him money somehow. :p

He been an internet meme for a very long time now, what backwaters server have you been hiding under?

Last edited:
(there was a link here, check above. I can't put up links because I only have 11 posts)

Is this a lesser form of it?

The comments said that the horn dude had a type of skin cancer: actinic keratosis.They look pretty similar but I can't be sure... Anybody else?
I went on a website and saw that actinic keratosis usually didn't grow that big. Also, there are many ways to get rid of it. You could freeze it off, electrocute it off, surgery...

Back