Oh, how sweet.

Naomi

[oxiglycodextrosium]
Registered Senior Member
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/02/cutting.moviescenes.ap/index.html

Okay, so the bill will allow parents to go over videos to edit out the stuff they think their kids shouldn't watch. So far, so good. This shouldn't bother anyone (unless you happen to be an eight-year old cruising Sciforums pretending to be older than you are).

Now read this bit.

In addition, the legislation introduced in the House and passed by the Senate would create new penalties for criminals who use small video cameras to record and sell bootlegged copies of first-run films.

The legislation would stop "the most egregious form of copyright piracy plaguing the entertainment industry today, the piracy of film, movies, and other copyrighted materials before copyright owners have had the opportunity to market fully their products," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas.

If the bill becomes law, people convicted of using cameras to bootleg movies could face as much as three years in federal prison plus fines, with the sentence doubling to six years upon a second conviction.

Three years plus fines? If I'm not wrong, this is more than what you get for a DUI.

So I am to understand, that although you could hit and kill innocent people while driving under the influence, intellectual crime is more serious? Corporations losing money is a more serious matter than loss of human life?

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

So three years in prison for the first offense, while a THIRD DUI can get you a maximum of 1 year...doesn't sound right to me.

So I am to understand, that although you could hit and kill innocent people while driving under the influence, intellectual crime is more serious?

Well, if you hit and kill someone while driving drunk you are going away for a long long time. Much longer than a regular DUI penalty and longer than the penalty for taping a movie would be if this law passes.

We see tons of different laws go through Congress, most of which do not pass. We will just have to wait and see what happens to this bill.

Yeah, because Hollywood is going broke....not. Whoooo are the brain police?

Doubleplusevil!

Back