objective morality graph

CTEBO

Registered Senior Member
I have (rather had) this idea that I'd like to further develop about objective morality. It deals with finding objective morality by consulting a graph, just like finding a selling price by consulting a supply/demand graph. The graph for morality would compare and contrast a conceptual dichotomy just like the supply/demand graph compares and contrasts supply and demand.

I had a conceptual dichotomy in mind and even things to assign to the x and y axises but I have forgotten them. I think it all hinged on a pleasure maximizing / pain minimizing rule. What kind of graph would reflect that? I know subjectivity/objectivity was explicitly involved as well, but I can't remember how. I think there was a subjectivity maximizing rule, too, akin to maximizing people's existential freedom.

Any ideas on how to fill these gaps?
Any criticism towards the idea of objective morality in general?

I'm all eyes.

yes, morality is not objective. Nuff said. go molest Ayn Rands corpse.

Your argument against objective morality was VERY intelligent and convincing. I can't believe I never saw it that way before. You must be a professor somewhere with that caliber of brain.

While "Nuff said" and you're Ayn Rand comment are questionaby witty, "nuff said" is never nuff said.

If you don't have anything of substance to submit, don't reply to the post.

Since it is now apparent to me that I am just as guilty as SpyMoose is of posting a post without substance, I will now attempt to defend my claim for objective morality.

All human beings have a objective aversion toward pain. If you are a fetishist and claim to "enjoy pain" then it is not pain that you are enjoying. If the sensation is a pleasurable one, then it is not "pain". While we all have a subjective threshold for pain, if the sensation is on the pleasure side of that threshold then it is not pain and if it is on the pain side of that threshold then it is not pleasure.

For the same reason, no person can ever actually "like violence". If any person was to make the claim that they are ok with the idea of someone committing an act of violence against them, then it would not be violence that is committed against that person. If there is no violation, if the act committed is not against the will of that person, then it is not violence. You may say that it doens't bother you that there is violence being committed aginst some person halfway across the globe, but if that same violence was committed aginst you, you would be opposed to it, otherwise it would not be violence.

Therefore, anytime someone says they like pain, it is pleasure in the form of "pseudo-pain" and anytime someone says that they like violence, then it is either
- an act of violence which is NOT being committed against that person (it is being committed against someone else)
- or it is "pseudo-violence" in that the act is NOT against the "victim's" will (not even a "victim" if no violation of will occurs).

Keeping this in mind, we must face the fact that each person has a subjective threshold for pain and violence. Even though this threshold is ontologically subjective, that ontological subjectivity does not stop conscious agents from making those thresholds epistemologically objective visa vei human agreement.

Objective morality may then take the form of voluntary segragation. Since a group of human beings can make their individually subjective pain thresholds epistemologically objective through their own collective agreement, then a community could be founded for each set of epistemologically objective pain thresholds. That way no human being would live in the vicinity of someone else who does not share the same pain threshold, so that the potential for violence would be minimized.

Ideological? Yes.

Unsound? No.

I have forgotten where my morality graph comes into play here but the more I discuss the idea with people, the more it will come back to me I'm sure.

Since my idea of objective morality may not take the form of other models for objective morality, it may not succumb to the same criticism that other models for objective moral succumb to.

It needs more developing but the fundamentals are there.

Last edited:
CTebo, of course no one is fond of pain or violence, but that is no contention at all.
The problem is the very subjectivity of pain or violence; one person's sorrow is another's pleasure, as you illustrated. There isn't a universal definition for "displeasure," but only a variable perception.

Nobody is rapturous when shit when it happens to him or her. In fact, he or she is always displeased. However, his or her notion of shit isn't necessarily mine.

So, no unanimous basis for a functional morality exists.
There is only the fiat of the majority, and that's not objective morality at all, but law, our cheap substitute.

Now, I think you did address the idea of differing perceptions to some extent in your spiel on differing thresholds, but I think even you have to accede that "segregation" and "collective agreement" sound more like admissions that objective morality is unattainable than formulae for its attainment.

Good Hunting, amigo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basic.

All human beings have a objective aversion toward pain.

Objective or instinctive?
The ostensibly objective can be overridden - as can the instinctive. All humans have an even stronger aversion toward death, but can sacrifice themselves in war or even simply commit suicide.

This is where hedonism/Epicurianism/Bentam fails. We can override the animal aversions.

But even supposing that I accept this aversion. How is it a basis of morality? I may not enjoy a thing, I may assume that others would not enjoy it, this does not mean that I cannot or should not inflict it if I profit from such action.

Jake realizes that I'm a good shot and offers me 1 million dollars to kill Philip. Philip wants to live, I want the money and I really don't give a shit about what Philip wants. What objective moral rule dictates that I must give Philip's desires more precedence than my own?

Now, I think you did address the idea of differing perceptions to some extent in your spiel on differing thresholds, but I think even you have to accede that "segregation" and "collective agreement" sound more like admissions that objective morality is unattainable than formulae for its attainment.

Come one more, Redoubtable. Saying that collective agreement is necessary admits that "morality" is based on force. Even if morality could be reduced to a set of equations, proven and irrefutable, the enforcement of that morality can only depend on the strength of the person or society that accepts the equation.

Last edited:
Ayn Rand supports a lot of her principles with "to think otherwise would be ridiculous", which is a lot like "'nuff said".

I don't know why more Objectivists don't recommend the Virtue of Selfishness as introductory material...it basically sums up the whole "package deal" in the first 2-3 essays.

Objective morality is just a tool for keeping people comfortable, giving them a home, and letting them better raise their children in an otherwise amoral universe. Therefore this type of morality is practical and can be otherwise equated to the idea of 'laws'. There is no need to rip on the idea nor is there a need to promote it like a god, it's very basic.

Originally posted by Xev
Jake realizes that I'm a good shot and offers me 1 million dollars to kill Philip. Philip wants to live, I want the money and I really don't give a shit about what Philip wants. What objective moral rule dictates that I must give Philip's desires more precedence than my own?

I see your point.
Let me think "out loud" for a moment.
you have a desire
phillip has a desire
your's is for the money
his is for his life.
Your monetary reward has a specific dollar amount ($1,000,000)
his life does not.
WAIT
TO HIM his life has no specific dollar value (infinite value).
TO YOU his life is worth the reward amount ($1,000,000).

TO YOU your life retains infinite worth (unless you're depressed and hate life - very possible - but we'll assume for now that that is not the case).
TO HIM your life may be worth the same his is to you ($1,000,000)

We may then conclude that (unless the person is totally depressed and hates life; which is a complication I'll address later) whether you're the one to be killed or Phillip is, the value of the potential victims life TO THE VICTIM will always outway the value placed on that life from without (by other people such as you or the guy you wants phillip dead).

The world is huge and complex. Lets us consider a small community inwhich you and Phillip live. Your community can be one inwhich the value of the potential victums life is determined by the potential victim or one in which the value of the potential victim's life is determined by someone else (another conscious agent who obviously does not have access to the victim's subjective world).

Whether Phillip is the potential victim or you are the potential victim, for ANY AND ALL POTENTIAL VICTIMS, it behooves EVERYONE in that community IN THE LONG RUN to adopt a policy inwhich each person is responsible for judging the value of his own life and no one else's.

Otherwise, you are just as in danger of getting killed and you don't want that (unless you're depressed or any other number of other reasons why you might actually want to die).

In the case that you actually wouldn't mind dying, then you are still free to kill yourself, because no one is going to tell you how much your life is worth.

It is dictated by logic.

Last edited:
Concept of suicidal bombers.

Suppose you are loving husband and father, but you are very poor and unable to provide for your family. Also you believe in God. Somebody comes to you with an offer: Take this bomb, carry it to the spot X and let it explode when many unbelievers are around. You will go to Heaven and your family will be well in exchange. According to what you were taught, there is nothing wrong in killing infidels. The only thing that matters is your own life. How much value does it have? How much value has the promise of “better” future for your wife and children? Also - what is the value of you as a father? As a husband?

Re: Concept of suicidal bombers.

Originally posted by Raha
Suppose you are loving husband and father, but you are very poor and unable to provide for your family. Also you believe in God. Somebody comes to you with an offer: Take this bomb, carry it to the spot X and let it explode when many unbelievers are around. You will go to Heaven and your family will be well in exchange. According to what you were taught, there is nothing wrong in killing infidels. The only thing that matters is your own life. How much value does it have? How much value has the promise of ?better? future for your wife and children? Also - what is the value of you as a father? As a husband?

I for one agree with Searle that all functions are observer relative, including the function of a father, and so I will not venture into what my subjective definition of fatherhood is.

Regarding the killing of infidels, however, I believe there is an objective claim to be made. The father places a value on the infidels' lives. More specifically, he places more value on his family members' lives than he does on the lives of the infidels'. The infidel's place more value on their own live's than they place on the family of their would-be killer. While both value systems are subjective, an objective deduction can still be made here.

All* conscious agents will place a higher subjective value on their own life than they place on the lives of others. As a direct consequence of this fact, it benefits all conscious agents to adopt a policy inwhich each conscious agent is the judge of his life and his life only.

*Exceptions abound such as people willing to risk their lives for loved ones, or people in such depressions that they contemplate suicide, but even in those cases it benefits them not to have someone else prohibiting their activity by judging the value of their lives from outside of their own subjective experience of it.

By killing the "infidels" he is committing behavior which he would not permit someone else to commit against him or his family. If he has any love at all for his family, he would not engage in activity which would bring someone else (a family member of one of the infidels) to engage in the same activity towards them.
In short, he kills the infidels, the infidels' family members hunt down his family after he is already dead.

Now you say,"Hey, there's no guarantee that revenge will be attempted." This is very true. The family members of the dead infidels could decide not to retaliate. That would be an example of an act of non-violence. The same non-violence which could cut the violence at its root, might instead stop it seven generations later, or might have prevented it from the get go if the father had decided not to blow up the infidels.

At any given moment you are engaged in activity even if all it is is breathing and thinking. All activities (I believe) can be categorized into two bins, non-violent, violent. In this sense Hitler was only committing violence when he actually pulled the trigger at someone. He was not committing violence in his sleep nor while taking a shit nor while sipping tie. Every conscious agent is responsible for his own conduct, so Hitler didn't kill the jews at the camps, the individual soldiers did. But even they were not engaged in violent activity while playing cards or shouting.

It is always peaceful activity that "saves the day" when violent activity has begun.

Lets say that this chain of violence does actually continue for seven generations and finally someone decides not to reap anymore revenge. The same peaceful, non-violent behavior that is NECESSARY to stop the violence (whether its seven generations away or two days away), would have also prevented it to begin with.

You can be peaceful now or you can postpone it for AFTER the violence, but in either case, at any given collection of moments, you're either peaceful or your violent and the violence stops when the peace starts and the peace stops when the violence starts.

If you choose violence then you better not even give a shit about your family, because you are putting then at risk.
If you (and everyone else for that matter) choose peace, then no one would have to worry about their families again, cuz there'd be nothing to worry about.

SIDE-NOTE: if the world actually operated the way Nietzsche wanted it to, he'd never have lived long enough to write his works, cuz some tougher guy would have killed him long before. If all the world was a bunch of Ubermen, then it would be a short lived world, cuz they'd all kill each other in their amoral, blind ambition.

You can't argue with the fact that non-violence benefits EVERYONE

Last edited:
Back