Nlp

SpyMoose

Secret double agent deer
Registered Senior Member
So I learned a new phrase recently, Neuro-Linguistic Programming. At first thats all i knew about it, what it was called. But dissecting it, it sounded pretty intriguing. I thought perhaps it was a branch of psychology that studies the affect of language on the brain, and perhaps how to manipulate people via this information. I had recently learned the definition of the word cybernetic, which actually bears little resemblance to what comic books had led me to believe it was about, and I thought Neuro-Lingusitic Programming sounded like sort of the same thing only modeling data flow between people instead of between people and machines.

However, when I went to look up info on this topic on the internet all I can find is a lot of new age, psudoscience jargon about things like the healing power of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, or how it will win you friends and status, and other such nonsense as well as a few places offering NLP certification. It all sounds a bit like the church of scientology to me. Does anyone know if there is a legitimate face of NLP or is it all just a lot of pseudoscientific shenanigans?

Last edited:
Try a google search of:

"Neuro-Linguistic Programming ac"

(You'll note I'm searching for the title, plus looking for the Academic or Education affix, with that you'll find some real courses that are actually titled it, although you might still think it a bit new age.)

This appears to be the creation of David Jay Helm of the Pikes Peak Community College. I'll attach this reference as a PDF that I found:

Helm, David Jay.EDUCATION: THE WAGON TRAIN TO THE STARS/IT'S TIME TO 'JUMP START' LEARNING THROUGH N.L.P. Education, Winter89, Vol. 110 Issue 2, p254, 3p;

ABSTRACTThis study explores the background information and varied applications of the technique of Neuro-Linguistic Programming as a viable instructional process. Background information detailing the "discovery" components of eye movements, linguistics, and approximation of N.L.P. is discussed. Neuro-Linguistic Programming's enhancement of the learning/communication skills of an individual and the varied uses as pertain to instruction are examined in length. N.L.P. affords all individuals a true equality in the learning environment.

There are a couple other references:

HELM, DAVID JAY.EURO-LINGUISTIC PROGRAMMING: ENHANCING LEARNING FOR THE VISUALLY... Education, Summer2000, Vol. 120 Issue 4, p790

HELM, DAVID JAY.Neuro-linguistic programming: Establishing rapport between school administrators and the students... Education, Summer94, Vol. 114 Issue 4, p625

If you want one of these and can't get them, let me know.... seems like some kind of educational psychology babble to me, though.

Last edited:
Back