Nine charged in bullying suicide

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Perhaps to some, the idea of criminally charging children for "bullying" seems a bit strange. Even with tear-jerking tales such as that of Phoebe Prince, 15, who hung herself in January after what Erik Eckholm and Katie Zezima describe, in their article for The New York Times, as "relentless taunting".

The prosecutor brought charges Monday against nine teenagers, saying their taunting and physical threats were beyond the pale and led the freshman, Phoebe Prince, to hang herself from a stairwell in January.

The charges were an unusually sharp legal response to the problem of adolescent bullying, which is increasingly conducted in cyberspace as well as in the schoolyard and has drawn growing concern from parents, educators and lawmakers.

In the uproar around the suicides of Ms. Prince, 15, and an 11-year-old boy subjected to harassment in nearby Springfield last year, the Massachusetts legislature stepped up work on an anti-bullying law that is now near passage. The law would require school staff members to report suspected incidents and principals to investigate them. It would also demand that schools teach about the dangers of bullying. Forty-one other states have anti-bullying laws of varying strength.

The problem facing Massachusetts officials, however, seems to do with the severity of the taunting:

In the Prince case, two boys and four girls, ages 16 to 18, face a different mix of felony charges that include statutory rape, violation of civil rights with bodily injury, harassment, stalking and disturbing a school assembly. Three younger girls have been charged in juvenile court, Elizabeth D. Scheibel, the Northwestern district attorney, said at a news conference in Northampton, Mass.

Appearing with state and local police officials on Monday, Ms. Scheibel said that Ms. Prince’s suicide came after nearly three months of severe taunting and physical threats by a cluster of fellow students.

“The investigation revealed relentless activities directed toward Phoebe to make it impossible for her to stay at school,” Ms. Scheibel said. The conduct of those charged, she said, “far exceeded the limits of normal teenage relationship-related quarrels.”

It was particularly alarming, the district attorney said, that some teachers, administrators and other staff members at the school were aware of the harassment but did not stop it. “The actions or inactions of some adults at the school were troublesome,” Ms. Scheibel said, but did not violate any laws.

(ibid)

Apparently severe bullying is somewhat widespread. One parent, Mitch Brouillard, told Zezima that he was pleased that charges had been filed; one of the students involved allegedly bullied his own daughter. Charges have been filed against another student in the bullying of Rebecca Brouillard:

“My daughter was bullied for three years, and we continually went to the administration and we really got no satisfaction,” Mr. Brouillard said, adding, “I was offered an apology a few weeks ago that they should have handled it differently.”

(ibid)

But the school must figure out how to address bullying on its grounds. A task force met yesterday to outline the problem, but must keep an eye toward what happens in the state house. "The big question out there is what the legislature will impose on school districts," said Bill Evans, a member of the task force.

Harvey Silverglate, a lawyer in Cambridge, Mass., who has argued that proposed cyberbullying laws are too vague and a threat to free speech, said that he thought the charges announced Monday would pass legal muster. The sorts of acts of harassment and stalking claimed in the charges were wrong under state law, Mr. Silverglate said, but a question would be whether they were serious enough to constitute criminal violations, as opposed to civil ones.

“There is a higher threshold of proof of outrageous conduct needed to reach the level of a criminal cause of action, in comparison to the lower level of outrageousness needed to prove a civil violation,” he said.

A lawsuit involving another case of high school bullying, in upstate New York, was settled on Monday. A gay teenager had sued the Mohawk Central School District, saying school officials had not protected him.

In the settlement, the district said it would increase staff training to prevent harassment, pay $50,000 to the boy’s family and reimburse the family for counseling, The Associated Press reported. The boy has moved to a different district.

(ibid)

In a case involving criminal charges including statutory rape, stalking, and bodily injury, it is hard to see what a bullying statute would add to the heap of trouble the alleged offenders find themselves in. However, there also arises the proposition that a bullying policy might install some manner of checks that will help prevent situations from escalating to such extremes.

Through a spate of school shootings in the 1990s and early part of this decade, I often remarked grimly on the difference a few years made. Bullying is not an unknown phenomenon to me; I was once held in detention, in fifth grade, after being assaulted by three other students. The school's rationale was that I had been involved in a fight. Again, in sixth grade, I was reprimanded for being assaulted. Yet as more and more students went postal, or simply psycho, I used to comment that while I understood the feeling to blow up the outside world, the difference was that my peers and I never went through with it.

So it seems to me there must be something that school and state officials can do to install some sort of breakwater between the normal conflicts of teen angst and felonious violation for sport. But how do bullying statutes work? Should it be a separate charge, or a context added to other charges? To wit, had Phoebe Prince not hung herself, would two boys presently be charged with statutory rape? In what context did the alleged sexual intercourse take place? Or does that context matter?

In the end, it seems to me that part of this investigation should focus on whether or not the parents of the accused should be charged for raising delinquents. And then, of course, the state would have to figure out how to go about doing that. The nature of school bullying is such that similar incidents and behavior can have vastly different implications. Attorney Silverglate suggests new cyberbullying statutes are too vague; the same can easily happen with real-world statutes. And it's controversial enough to hold parents responsible for certain stupid behavior their children undertake. Still, the accused are, for the most part, children under the law, and, I would suggest, children in mind. How, exactly—or even generally—do things get so far out of hand?

Notes:

Eckholm, Erik and Katie Zezima. "9 Teenagers Are Charged After Classmate’s Suicide". The New York Times. March 30, 2010; page A14. NYTimes.com. March 30, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/us/30bully.html

Last edited:
Yes they should be criminally charged, same as if you're 14 and you steal something or beat someone up you can still be punished.

This behaviour is a bit more vague. I think if it's obvious that there is real bullying going on though and not just dislike or the occasional verbal disrespect, YES, they should be charged same as an adult would for harassment.

Yes they should be criminally charged, same as if you're 14 and you steal something or beat someone up you can still be punished....

I disagree. Being an ass isn't illegal. Maybe you can charge them with stalking, but not for her death. She murdered herself.
If I tell draqon he has a small penis, is ugly, and doesn't make enough money for me to date and he kills himself because of the harsh rejection, should I be held responsible for his death? :shrug:

Why did her parents leave her in that school? If I knew my child was being harassed, had informed the school and they did nothing to stop it, why would I leave her there knowing she was beyond miserable?

Why did her parents leave her in that school? If I knew my child was being harassed, had informed the school and they did nothing to stop it, why would I leave her there knowing she was beyond miserable?

I agree.
So should they be charged with child neglect or child endangerment? :shrug:

I disagree. Being an ass isn't illegal. Maybe you can charge them with stalking, but not for her death. She murdered herself.
If I tell draqon he has a small penis, is ugly, and doesn't make enough money for me to date and he kills himself because of the harsh rejection, should I be held responsible for his death? :shrug:

:D
I do think the kids should be charged but with what, I'm not sure. People need to be responsible for their words. They KNOW they caused this girl's death.:(

it's not the same situation. He can put you on ignore. he does not have to see you every day. He does not have to stifly his reactions to you for fear of being beaten up, day in and day out. No one in his personal life need find out what you said. He will not see authority figures and peers watch without doing anything - you would get banned pretty fast.

She may have killed herself, but what led to that suicide?

Those kids weren't just being arses. They not only bullied her, but physically assaulted her to the point where she ended up killing herself. This was systematic abuse and it was continuous.

Let me ask you a question..

Say a parent abused their daughter physically and verbally to the point where she commits suicide. You have stated that being an arse is not illegal. But the parent's direct action led to their child's suicide. Should that parent be responsible for that child's death? So why is it any different in this case? These kids stand of being accused of not just verbal abuse, but of rape. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

There was a case here in Australia several weeks ago where a young boy, after years of abuse from his classmates in school and on the school bus resulted in the child running off the bus at his stop in such fear that he ran in front of a car and was struck by said car. He would never have run away like that if he was not in fear of his life (his tormentor was heard telling him that he was going to kill him as he ran out of the bus and in front of an oncoming vehicle). Should his tormentor be charged?

Bullying can have severe repercussions on the lives of not just the victims, but also that of their families. And sometimes, death is the result. And it is getting worse. How we can simply excuse it as being an "ass" does not cut it anymore.

And you have to realise, bullying isn't just words now. These kids are being accused of rape. Even if she hadn't killed herself, those kids committed henious crimes against this poor girl. That she ultimately killed herself because of what they did to her should be an indication that they were being more than just "arses".

CutsieMarie89 said:
If it was as simple as that, then it would solve the issue, wouldn't it?

We now live in an age where bullying occurs not just on the school grounds, but also in cyberspace. Simply changing schools won't get rid of the issue. The bullying follows the child and the means for that is as easy as logging onto sites like facebook or sending an sms text. The child is moved to a new school, only to be faced with the same behaviour from bullies there and will continue to face the bullying online as well. And the bully will simply move on to find another victim to torment physically and the cycle repeats itself.

So where should the line be drawn?

Why should victims of bullying be continuously forced to uproot their lives and that of their families (some families end up having to move interstate to get away from it) and the bully remains completely unscathed? Shouldn't the individuals who do bully be forced to face the reality of their behaviour and punished? Why should the victims be forced to punish themselves and their families by moving, and sometimes moving repeatedly?

It's not just as simple as moving schools. A victim of a bullying will often find themselves facing bullying from a different school, even if it is in a different area or even different State, because word spreads very easily.

Nine charged in bullying suicide

Good. They should stripped and publicly caned.

Okay, that's a bit harsh, but I detest bullying. Of all the sundry (some good and some bad) lessons my father taught me, one of the biggest was to stand up to bullies and to stand up to them wherever they are. I got more than a few bloody noses when I was a kid for this commitment. I got suspended from school, even when I lost the fight. But I never got bullied and never stood for it for those I cared about.

The kids parents should be charged as well. Every time a kid does something horrific, the parents should be charged as equals in the crime. Perhaps that would be a wake-up call for the crappy parents out there.

~String

um bells, they were charged with STATITORY rape. You might want to be a little careful saying they are rapists, after all the US doesnt have victoria's "if your within 2 years its not carnal knowlage of a child under the age of...."

I do think the kids should be charged but with what, I'm not sure. People need to be responsible for their words. They KNOW they caused this girl's death.:(

And in this instance, it's not just "words".

This girl was raped by one of her tormentors, physically abused by others as well as verbal abuse and threats to herself.

In the indictments, returned Friday but not made public until Monday, the Hampshire County grand jury charged Sean Mulveyhill, 17, of South Hadley with statutory rape, violation of civil rights with bodily injury resulting, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

The indictments charged Austin Renaud, 18, of Springfield with statutory rape.

Kayla Narey, 17, of South Hadley was charged with violation of civil rights with bodily injury resulting, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/massachusetts.bullying.suicide/index.html

The day she killed herself, it appears she was also bullied and well yeah, the results speak for themselves.

"It appears that Phoebe's death on January 14 followed a torturous day for her when she was subjected to verbal harassment and physical abuse," Scheibel said.

Earlier that day, Phoebe had been harassed as she studied in the library at South Hadley High School, apparently in the presence of a faculty member and several students, none of whom reported it until after the girl's death, Scheibel said.

Phoebe, who had recently moved to the area with her family from Ireland, also was harassed as she walked through the halls of the school that day and as she walked on the street toward her home, the prosecutor said.

However, she was subjected to that kind of behaviour for over 3 months and it appears to have been continuous.

But that day's events were not isolated; they "were the culmination of a nearly three-month campaign of verbally abusive, assaultive behavior and threats of physical harm toward Phoebe on school grounds by several South Hadley students," Scheibel added.

"Their conduct far exceeded the limits of normal teenage relationship-related quarrels. The investigation revealed relentless activity directed toward Phoebe designed to humiliate her and to make it impossible for her to remain at school."

What is astounding is that the school did nothing about it. Even when the behaviour happened in front of the school staff, they sometimes did nothing to intervene.

The actions of those kids ultimately led to her death. And yes, they should be held responsible for it. Some of them were 17 years and over, so maybe my using the words "kids" does not apply. And those who are 17 years and over will probably be tried as adults.

bells, once again. That is STATITORY rape, NOT RAPE. It may well have been rape but that isnt what the reports (including YOURS) are stating. She was 15 and he 17, which in most of Australia (except NT as far as i know) would NOT be (to be exact) carnal knowlage of a child under the age of 18.

bells, once again. That is STATITORY rape, NOT RAPE. It may well have been rape but that isnt what the reports (including YOURS) are stating. She was 15 and he 17, which in most of Australia (except NT as far as i know) would NOT be (to be exact) carnal knowlage of a child under the age of 18.

So you are saying that statutory rape is not "rape"?

Is this what you are now saying?

And we are dealing with a US case. Not an Australian case. Ergo, Australian laws do not come into consideration when discussing what should or should not be applicable in this instance.

He is 18, and thus, an adult. She was still a minor in the eyes of the law in America. Seeing as the age of consent laws are in place for a reason, he is therefore eligible to be tried with rape. Statutory rape is still rape. Notice the word "rape" after the word "statutory" as your first clue.

Sometimes, you have to go with what you have

Asguard said:

That is STATITORY rape, NOT RAPE. It may well have been rape but that isnt what the reports (including YOURS) are stating.

In the end, Asguard, it may be that statutory is all prosecutors have at their disposal. If the intercourse was part of a bully plot, for instance, they're probably pissed that they can't charge the young men with something more. As it is, though, it's not entirely a straightforward construction, but it appears that, barring some unknown factor—e.g., a defendant actually didn't have sex with the girl—prosecutors will make it stick. The 18 year-old, at least, is facing a life sentence.

I'll look around for some more information, and put together the construction for you later, but if you or Bells would like to tool around with it, you're looking at MGL 265.23 (statutory rape law) and 272.4 (age of consent).

Yes, HOWEVER if you want to argue that is the reason she commited suicide thats a compleatly different matter and means looking at PSYCOLOGY insted of the law.

For instance if US stat rape of a 16 year old (male or female) is enough to drive someone to suicide then logically we should see a higher rate of suicide in victoria where the age of concent is 16 than the NT where its 18. Strangly the reverse is true and the higher rates of sucide are happerning in the NT.

And YES i AM saying that an 18 year old and a 16 year old (or a 17 year old and a 15 year old) having sex IS NOT non consentual sex (rape is a legal term). You tell me 16 year olds cant decide they want to have sex, hell you were against the NT laws which criminalised this kind of sex and forced 15, 16 year olds not to practice safe sex because the shop keeper who they buy condoms off or the doctor who they ask for the pill would be required to report them to DOCS

In the end, Asguard, it may be that statutory is all prosecutors have at their disposal. If the intercourse was part of a bully plot, for instance, they're probably pissed that they can't charge the young men with something more. As it is, though, it's not entirely a straightforward construction, but it appears that, barring some unknown factor—e.g., a defendant actually didn't have sex with the girl—prosecutors will make it stick. The 18 year-old, at least, is facing a life sentence.

I'll look around for some more information, and put together the construction for you later, but if you or Bells would like to tool around with it, you're looking at MGL 265.23 (statutory rape law) and 272.4 (age of consent).

thats true, after all they took that mafia boss to court for tax evasion insted of drug charges but if you want to punish bullying (and im all for that) that leads to suicide the i belive in the US there is a section of the homicide provisions which relates to activities which are compleatly negligent and lead to a death (depraved indifference i belive is the term rather than negilgent homocide)

Yes, HOWEVER if you want to argue that is the reason she commited suicide thats a compleatly different matter and means looking at PSYCOLOGY insted of the law.

For instance if US stat rape of a 16 year old (male or female) is enough to drive someone to suicide then logically we should see a higher rate of suicide in victoria where the age of concent is 16 than the NT where its 18. Strangly the reverse is true and the higher rates of sucide are happerning in the NT.

And YES i AM saying that an 18 year old and a 16 year old (or a 17 year old and a 15 year old) having sex IS NOT non consentual sex (rape is a legal term). You tell me 16 year olds cant decide they want to have sex, hell you were against the NT laws which criminalised this kind of sex and forced 15, 16 year olds not to practice safe sex because the shop keeper who they buy condoms off or the doctor who they ask for the pill would be required to report them to DOCS

That is not what is being said here. Where you got that from, I honestly do not know. Her "rape" was but one part of her whole humiliation and bullying by this group of students. And prosecutors are looking at this case at all angles to see what charges can be brought and they obviously found "statutory rape" as being but one of them, to try to get the maximum sentences that they can get. For example:

In the indictments, returned Friday but not made public until Monday, the Hampshire County grand jury charged Sean Mulveyhill, 17, of South Hadley with statutory rape, violation of civil rights with bodily injury resulting, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

The indictments charged Austin Renaud, 18, of Springfield with statutory rape.

Kayla Narey, 17, of South Hadley was charged with violation of civil rights with bodily injury resulting, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

It's not just the sex Asguard. You need to start not concentrating on the "sex" and looking at the whole bigger picture here.

The 18 year old accused of statutory rape, is but one of her tormentors who drove her to her suicide. I want to point something out to you:

"The investigation revealed relentless activity directed toward Phoebe designed to humiliate her and to make it impossible for her to remain at school."

(Source)

Are you able to put the two and two together here?

You're making this about "sex" when it isn't. If you want to discuss statutory rape and why you disagree with the concept and rape laws in Australia, start another thread.

Biggest bang for the buck, or is that a bad way of saying it?

Asguard said:

i belive in the US there is a section of the homicide provisions which relates to activities which are compleatly negligent and lead to a death (depraved indifference i belive is the term rather than negilgent homocide)

It's a matter of jurisdiction. I haven't found those statutes in the MGLs, but I'm sure they're there. However, comparatively, the statutory charge is probably the best one to go with. Barring an extraordinary cockup by the prosecutors, it should be a fairly easy charge to prove, require an insane jury to acquit, and expose the perpetrators to a life sentence. Considering what scant facts we have at hand about the bullying, that's the charge I'd go with if I was the prosecutor.

Also, though, one of the aspects of bullying and the law I hope to explore in this thread is the question of why a bullying statute when there are things like assault, civil rights, and sex offense to be applied. Not that I object to bullying statutes in principle, but they can easily fall astray.

Tiassa: In the end, it seems to me that part of this investigation should focus on whether or not the parents of the accused should be charged for raising delinquents.

Where are you going with that? The OP says that the school admins and teachers knew but did nothing so why not charge them? You don't know that the parents knew what their children were doing when they were not around. Also this is a case of a group of children egging each other on like a mob at a football gang, you don't know if on their own they would have been able to maintain such intense bullying. If you begin prosecuting adults for their kids mistakes won't you also have to prove that there are no underlying reasons for their child's behaviour that have nothing to do with parenting? Like sociopathy and psychopathy for example? We know that these two groups are actually born that way and its not produced through parenting.

I don't think you can flat out decide to charge the parents for raising delinquents unless you can prove that they didn't attempt to instill values that are contrary to delinquent behaviour.

As for bullying statute maybe its just like the 'hate crime' laws. Instead of just convicting someone for murder or assault or harassment they come up with this 'stronger' sentence.

(Insert Title Here)

Lucysnow said:

Where are you going with that? The OP says that the school admins and teachers knew but did nothing so why not charge them? You don't know that the parents knew what their children were doing when they were not around.

A couple of points. First, I would ask that you consider the portion you quoted in the context of the larger paragraph:

In the end, it seems to me that part of this investigation should focus on whether or not the parents of the accused should be charged for raising delinquents. And then, of course, the state would have to figure out how to go about doing that. The nature of school bullying is such that similar incidents and behavior can have vastly different implications. Attorney Silverglate suggests new cyberbullying statutes are too vague; the same can easily happen with real-world statutes. And it's controversial enough to hold parents responsible for certain stupid behavior their children undertake. Still, the accused are, for the most part, children under the law, and, I would suggest, children in mind. How, exactly—or even generally—do things get so far out of hand?​

It would be a difficult course to pursue, and, as I noted, controversial. But parents are, in some jurisdictions, held responsible for the criminal acts of their children. To what degree, of course, is a complicated, messy argument.

However, I would also suggest that you have stated part of the problem:

"You don't know that the parents knew what their children were doing when they were not around."​

As a parent, I find it unimaginable that I would miss certain things in my child's behavior. Not that I expect to know what she's up to at any given time, but if she had a tendency toward calculated cruelty, I would have heard about it by now. And, yes, I recognize that I'll know less and less about her activities as she pushes toward her teen years, but I would have to be insensate to miss the development of a deliberately cruel streak in her behavior.

In a way, the idea is similar to a current abortion discussion in EM&J. In that one, a mother is infuriated at the school district ostensibly because her daughter had an abortion facilitated through a school clinic. But here's the thing: the mother apparently didn't know her daughter was sexually active; the mother definitely didn't know her daughter was pregnant; and, apparently, the mother thoguht her daughter was "pro-life". The daughter did not turn to her mother amid the fear of pregnancy, but rather to the school clinic. Any psychologist will tell you that the mother's outrage at the school and clinic is more likely a projection of her anger at herself.

At an even lesser valence, it reminds me of a time when I was eighteen or nineteen, and was staying with my girlfriend and her family for a couple of days. One morning I awoke to the cat's ass sitting on my face, but another it was a heavy, stomping tread coming into the room where I was sleeping. My girlfriend was absolutely aglow, thrilled. Her younger sister had started her period. So my girlfriend grabbed the keys and headed off to the store for her sister. Over the longer term, it emerged that the whole situation had hurt their mother's feelings. Mom was the last one in the house to know. That is, the older sister's boyfriend knew before Mom knew. And it's not like Mom was a cruel or domineering woman. In this case, it was a sisterly thing; they didn't mean to slight Mom on that one. And Mom came to understand that and, after recovering her ego, appreciate the fact that her daughters were so closely knit.

The point is, some parents actually pay attention to what is going on in their kids' lives.

My brother, as a teenager, responded to almost any parental inquiry about his day and doings with, "I don't know." How was your day? I don't know. How's your breaststroke time? I don't know. How's your car running? I don't know.

But they asked. And, sure, they didn't necessarily know every occasion that he snuck out at night for a date, or when he started smoking pot. But they damn well knew when his demeanor came askew.

And there is a broad range of awareness. My parents hauled me to a psychologist when I was thirteen because I wasn't doing my homework. That is, they needed a professional to assure them that I was behaving normally. Of course, he wasn't a very good psychologist, but that's not their fault.

My parents can also tell you about my psychological development. My Dad could tell you when he noticed I stopped being happy. My Mother can explain the chronology of my becoming chronically unhappy. No, they didn't get everything perfect, but they damn well could figure out when something important was wrong.

At the far end of the spectrum it's quite different. Some parents are willfully, even belligerently indifferent. And somewhere toward that indifference is where we find the "good kids" who letter in sports, get good grades, and behave atrociously because they can get away with it.

Is this indifference a factor in the present case? Nine teenagers are charged with bullying a girl to death; I find it hard to believe their parents were completely clueless. To draw an extreme comparison, one might look to Columbine and wonder how it is that a Jewish parent wouldn't be at least somewhat aware that her son was a raging anti-Semite.

How broadly ignorant of their children's nature and behavior do we expect parents to be?

As to the administrators and teachers, there are serious questions that must be resolved. They, however, have stronger, more complicated defenses. Ask a public school administrator how many times each year they are threatened with lawyers by parents defending their child against punishment. Over the years, school faculty have become afraid to intervene in certain situations because of lawyers. And we can also reasonably presume that at least a few of them are simply bad educators, or worn down to indifference by the daily grind. Additionally, it seems likely that the faculty weren't really prepared to deal with those sorts of issues from a procedural standpoint. Not only did they allow the harassment to go on, the school has also apologized to at least one parent for failing to properly address a prior issue of bullying involving one of the defendants in the present circumstance. Yes, there is a problem with the school itself, but it would likely be a harder prosecution than taking down a parent for negligence.

As for bullying statute maybe its just like the 'hate crime' laws. Instead of just convicting someone for murder or assault or harassment they come up with this 'stronger' sentence.

That is certainly a possibility, but is there an intermediate valence of law that might be devised and implemented that could prevent such horrible outcomes?

Consider Lori Drew, a parent who coordinated a cruel revenge plot against a thirteen year-old girl who hanged herself as a result of the bullying and betrayal. When they finally hauled the Missouri woman into court, it was in Los Angeles where she was convicted on three misdemeanor counts of improperly accessing a computer; the convictions were thrown out because, well, yes, it was something of a stretch.

But that's all they had on an adult woman, a parent, who orchestrated a plot that harassed a young girl to death.

Is there anything we can do so that we don't need a dead child before someone is held responsible for their actions?

Bullying as a sentence enhancement doesn't seem a bad idea, as long as it's done better than the drug war enhancements, or the firearms enhancement thrown out in Apprendi v. New Jersey. But there is also a possibility of constructing a valence of law that might interrupt the cycle before a child feels so constrained and beaten down as to take her own life.

Notes:

Leppek, Chris. "Dylan Klebold led life of religious contradictions". JWeekly. April 30, 1999. JWeekly.com. March 31, 2010. http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/10724/dylan-klebold-led-life-of-religious-contradictions/

Ars Staff. "'MySpace mom' Lori Drew's conviction thrown out". ArsTechnica. July 2, 2009. ArsTechnica.com. March 31, 2010. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/myspace-mom-lori-drews-conviction-thrown-out.ars

Back