New type of ancient human discovered from 40,000 yrs ago

common_sense_seeker

Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador
Valued Senior Member
New type of ancient human discovered. It's absolutely fascinating, not only humans, neanderthals and homofloriensis but x-woman.

A previously unknown type of ancient human, who lived about 40,000 years ago, has been identified using DNA from a finger bone found in Siberia. The extraordinary find brings to four the number of human species thought to have roamed the earth at that time.

Just needed to be posted imo.

I saw that story too. Remarkable. If DNA analysis shows the fossilized finger to have DNA from either Neanderthals or modern humans, it would be the first evidence proving that either species interbred and hybridized with another. Until now we have not been able to determine whether sapiens and Neanderthals ever interbred. Europeans have a few genes that don't occur in other populations, but we have not been able to identify them as Neanderthal genes. They might be subsequent mutations.
It's absolutely fascinating, not only humans, neanderthals and Homo floresiensis but x-woman.
You mean modern humans, neanderthals, Homo floresiensis and x-woman. Or our taxonomic name, Homo sapiens. All species of genus Homo are categorized as "humans."

I saw that story too. Remarkable. If DNA analysis shows the fossilized finger to have DNA from either Neanderthals or modern humans, it would be the first evidence proving that either species interbred and hybridized with another. Until now we have not been able to determine whether sapiens and Neanderthals ever interbred. Europeans have a few genes that don't occur in other populations, but we have not been able to identify them as Neanderthal genes. They might be subsequent mutations.You mean modern humans, neanderthals, Homo floresiensis and x-woman. Or our taxonomic name, Homo sapiens. All species of genus Homo are categorized as "humans."
Yeah, I find it fascinating. Okay, I should have said modern human.

Earlier threads showed that there was some evidence that tribes of Neanderthals survived until the 19th century in the Amazon, based on expedition reports. One wonders how 'human' this new find would have been. Having bracelet ornamentation certainly sounds modern - so were they aesthetic in appearance?

Earlier threads showed that there was some evidence that tribes of Neanderthals survived until the 19th century in the Amazon, based on expedition reports. One wonders how 'human' this new find would have been. Having bracelet ornamentation certainly sounds modern - so were they aesthetic in appearance?

Probably difficult to know what they looked like based on a single child's pinky bone, but never-the-less I'm sure there is some anthro-sculpturalist working on it as we speak. :shrug:

Back