New Hampshire elects gay Bishop

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
US church elects gay bishop (BBC)
Episcopalians in the American state of New Hampshire have elected the first openly gay diocesan bishop in the Anglican communion.

Fifty-six-year-old Canon Gene Robinson has been described as the most dangerous man in the American Church.

A father of two, he says he left his wife when God called him to acknowledge himself as a gay man.

He describes that decision as the biggest risk of his life, but says he has been rewarded by the love of a wonderful partner with whom he has lived for the past 13 years . . . .

. . . . One African bishop has said it would be an abomination for a sexually active gay man to be a bishop and pressure is likely to be put on the head of the Anglican Church, Dr Rowan Williams, to denounce his lifestyle . . . .
Interesting that an African Bishop should mention Dr. Williams. There's this interesting article from May 27, 2003:
The Church of England should be more accepting of homosexuality, the Archbishop of Canterbury has reportedly argued.

According to a biography of Dr Rowan Williams serialised in The Times newspaper, the head of the church believes faithful gay partnerships could be accepted by many Christians.

Rupert Shortt says in his book, Rowan Williams: An Introduction, that Dr Williams believes this would not necessarily be at odds with biblical teachings. (BBC)
The times they are a-changin' ....

Just thought it worth a mention.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Not that long ago, a church that I know a few members of (in Raleigh, NC) was kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention because a Minister performed a marriage for a lesbian couple.

Times are a-changin some places.
Others, they stand still or move backwards.

it's nice that progression is moving forward and gays will be a little more happy by this.

but i imagine if i was christian i would be majorly pissed and saddened

Back