New blood test for colorectal cancer...

I've had more than one. The worst part is that you have to take laxatives to clear the bowel for the examination. There's an 18 hour period or so before the examination in which you are only allowed to drink "clear fluids". So, no food, and you're washing out your digestive system and unbalancing all your usual electroytes and such. Every time I've had one I have ended up feeling pretty lousy right up to and including the wait to go into the operating room.

Every colonoscopy I have had has been performed while I was under a general anesthetic, so that actual procedure is a literal blank. I quite enjoy the anesthetics, I have found. They give you a really solid sleep, like no sleep you ever get. Just a total blank period in consciousness.

As for indignity, I'd rather have a medical procedure and be a little embarrassed - although I've never actually felt embarrassed any of the times I've had a colonscopy - than not to be correctly diagnosed and suffer a potentially fatal illness.

Yup, you get a little present in the post from the NHS when you turn 60 and every 2 years thereafter.
I did mine a couple of years ago, 55? I did the prostate marker a few years before COVID but that was a free service in the library.

I did mine a couple of years ago, 55? I did the prostate marker a few years before COVID but that was a free service in the library.
Yeah I think I might have read something about them bringing the starting age for screening down a bit to catch more early cases. I'm gaining experience with the PSA test, as I have an enlarged prostate (I'll turn 70 in the summer) and various associated symptoms. Had a urinary tract infection last autumn (not fun) which makes it read high, apparently, so now tracking its return (one hopes!) to whatever baseline it is for me.

Have to say that, seeing as ovarian cancer killed my wife at 56, I'm up for any screening that's on offer.:smile:

That's sad I am sorry to hear that.
It was. But I learned a bit of oncology and how much life can be extended with a disease like that. Every time I see a yew tree I think how valuable the poison in it is, even if it does make your hair fall out. Cancer is no longer an immediate death sentence and I am far more sanguine about chemo than I used to be. But certainly worth detecting early, which with some like ovarian and pancreatic cancer is hard to do. I must admit the experience has made me a bit jumpy when it comes to looking for changes in my own body.

I must admit the experience has made me a bit jumpy when it comes to looking for changes in my own body.

Pain, blood, swelling. That's all we can detect that is obvious. Best to listen to the body when that happens.
Also do all the screens available.
As the tech improves as the OP suggests we (older guys) should take those opportunities.

Obviously not a great memory of events w.r.t to all this for you sir but just my view.

Pain, blood, swelling. That's all we can detect that is obvious. Best to listen to the body when that happens.
Also do all the screens available.
As the tech improves as the OP suggests we (older guys) should take those opportunities.

Obviously not a great memory of events w.r.t to all this for you sir but just my view.
Sure. There can be quite a few false alarms as one ages and bits cease to function as well as before, but one does not want to miss something significant. C’est la vie.

Have you ever had one? What was the worst part of it?

I had a colonoscopy 8 years ago... an I had a 7 am appointment... an the worst part was not gettin a good uninterrupted 8 hrs sleep.!!!
Everthang checked ok so I was scheduled for anuther one 10 years later... an being well into my 70s i ant sure if I will get anuther one or not.!!!
But if I do... I will make an appointment for around 2 pm so I can get my sleep in.!!!
The nurses was really nice an the drugs was fun... but overall it was pretty much a nuthin-burger:)

Back