Naturalism vs SuperNaturalism

1Dude

Registered Senior Member
“There are two very basic and opposed philosophical positions concerning the universe: naturalism and supernaturalism. The naturalist assumes that the universe is strictly material, while the supernaturalist says that there are two types of objects in the universe, the natural or material and the supernatural. Both of these viewpoints are accepted as assumptions (and an assumption is accepted or rejected by faith). But once either position is accepted, certain conclusions also must be accepted. For instance, the naturalist assumes that there is no possibility of miracles. Everything in the naturalist’s world must be explained on the basis of natural law. This would include the earth, life, and emotions.

The supernaturalist must accept the possibility of miracles since he believes something other than matter exists. And usually he assumes that that “other” is a supernatural being. His world can include things that aren’t explained on the basis of matter alone. His God, being outside of the material universe, could change the natural law since He authored it.

Science is the study of the material world, and science always is searching for order or laws in the universe, Because of this, it would not do to have God change the natural law every time the scientist entered his laboratory. If God did this, no order ever could be found in the universe. Thus, science must assume God either doesn’t exist or He at least does not capriciously change the laws of nature. Experience tells us God does not often interfere with the laws of nature. But can experience prove that God never interferes in nature, or that He doesn’t exist?

As one can see, science must assume that God is irrelevant to the operation of the universe on a day-to-day basis before it can insist that any order can be found in the cosmos. Some scientists argue that their natural laws always work; therefore, this consistency proves God has no place in the world. Actually, this line of argument is called a tautology by philosophers. They assume God isn’t involved in the universe and then, since their premise is accepted by themselves, they conclude that He really is not involved in it.

Science cannot prove that God is irrelevant to the universe. If God set up the laws of physics, He is hardly irrelevant. If there is no God, then He indeed would be irrelevant. However, each position is accepted by faith.” (1981, by Josh McDowell and Don Stewart)

I am a supernaturalist by faith. Specifically I am a Christian. Why am I a supernaturalist as opposed to a naturalist by faith? There are many reasons. Here is only one. My father was miraculously healed of a very real physical problem when I was just a boy.

Are you a naturalist or a supernaturalist by faith and why?

I am a supernaturalist by faith, I suppose, but I think science can and probably does explain the vast majority of things that go on. It seems to me God is capable of creating a sensible world and that the things that appear supernatural are, in fact, quite natural but simply beyond our current comprehension.

Naturalism does not require faith. The naturalist does not assume everything is natural but observes that everything is natural. Those things that can't be explained are simply considered to be currently unexplainable.

The supernaturalists have no choice but to discard reason and logic since nothing supernatural has ever been shown to exist, and to believe there is a supernatural is to defy reason.

Supernaturalism is the world of the imagination and fantasy. Naturalism reflects reality. They are two very different paradigms, and are incomparable.

Kat

The known world expands, and the world of impenetrable mystery shrinks. With every expanse, something is explained which at an earlier point in history had been permanently consigned to supernatural mystery or metaphysical speculation. And the expansion of scientific knowledge has been and remains an epistemological threat to any claims which have been fashioned independently (or in defiance) of such knowledge. We are confronted with an asymptotic decrease in the existential possibility of the supernatural to the point at which it is wholly negligible.

-- Methodological Naturalism and Philosophical Naturalism by Doctor Barbara Forrest

There are two very basic and opposed philosophical positions concerning the universe: naturalism and supernaturalism.
There is no supernatural. Other than that, I hold with supernaturalism.
Science cannot prove that God is irrelevant to the universe.
God does well enough at that.

Back