Nasty deers...

I have heard of a cow that developed a taste for stomping and eating chickens and became soup because of it. I see no reason why other herbavors wouldn't do the same.

but thier digestive tracks aren't made for meat digestion. Carnivors track is very short because meat tends to decompose quicker.

I thought that food in the digestive tract of ALL animals decomposed.

Isn't that why faeces smell so bad? Because of bacterial action?

Cow faeces smell just as bad as a human's faeces...

Yes I just read somewhere that meat eaters digestive tract is only 3 times their length so they can pass rapidly decaying meat out of their system quicker vs. ours is 12 times our body length. Vegetables don't decay quit as quickly as meat does.

Originally posted by coluber
but thier digestive tracks aren't made for meat digestion. Carnivors track is very short because meat tends to decompose quicker.
the article notes that the deer were careful not to eat the meat, just the bones. If the bones were ground up sufficiently, a small amount of calcium and other minerals would be absorbed into the body, even if there isn't any bacteria which can break down bone. The HCl would be enough to mave a minor effect.

If the deer were eating the meat, I bet your question would be a very valid one- the deer would very likely get sick and die.

and on average 60-80% of humjan fecal matter is bacterial biomass. I don't know the % for cows, but I'd assume it was similar, if not higher, given the longer digestion time.

I've heard of squirrels eating baby birds before, but this is a new one. Perhaps over time the deer will become carnivorous, and become Sabertoothed Deer.

That would be pretty funny.

Back