Myth Buster

S

Sickpuppy

Okay is it possible to gain personality/physical traits of a person from dna swaping such as sex?

and could the people you trade dna with have an effect on your offspring at a later period in life?

Sorry might be alittle out there for some but its a serious question...

Okay is it possible to gain personality/physical traits of a person from dna swaping such as sex?

and could the people you trade dna with have an effect on your offspring at a later period in life?

Sorry might be a little out there for some but its a serious question...

I know I have had sex with a$$holes and it turned me into a bitch.

Like if I got a blood donation from a black person, would I suddenly get just a bit darker skin color? Or would I have black children? NOPE

But if I trade DNA through sex with a black man, Oh yeah, its gonna affect that offspring.

Like if I got a blood donation from a black person, would I suddenly get just a bit darker skin color? Or would I have black children? NOPE

But if I trade DNA through sex with a black man, Oh yeah, its gonna affect that offspring.
You don't swap DNA with the partner when you engage in intercourse with them. If you conceive a child, then yes, that child will be affected, but the partner does not pick up any of the DNA.

So the answer to the original question is no. Humans don't undergo horizontal gene transfer with one another, whether it be via intercourse, cannibalism or other means.

Well, STD's and the like are still not really gene transfer.

In most cases viruses don't take host genes with them, they trick the host's polymerase complexes into replicating the virus' genetic material. the virus may transfer from one person to the other, but the genetic material will remain with the donor.

Well, STD's and the like are still not really gene transfer.

In most cases viruses don't take host genes with them, they trick the host's polymerase complexes into replicating the virus' genetic material. the virus may transfer from one person to the other, but the genetic material will remain with the donor.

So you are saying that when you have a bacteria, fungus or virus, it is not part of the person in question? I know that, that is not part of the question. The question is can dna be swapped during sex. Deseases contain dna, they can affect physical traits and personality, the mystery is solved.

You don't swap DNA with the partner when you engage in intercourse with them. If you conceive a child, then yes, that child will be affected, but the partner does not pick up any of the DNA....

Duh! That's why I said its gonna affect THAT offspring, not future offspring

You said "trade DNA with a black person during sex". That is very poor wording and misleading in the context of the initial post, so I was clarifying what you meant.

I am going to answer each of the opening posts questions, one at a time.

No. You do not swap DNA with the other person while you are engaging in sexual intercourse. You will not gain any genetic traits from your partner.

Since this answer depended on a positive answer to the first question, the answer to this is also no. You do not exchange genetic material, so your offspring cannot be affected.

If you contract a sexually transmitted infection from your partner and begin to show symptoms yourself, you are not picking up the traits of your partner. You are picking up the symptoms of someone who is infected with that particular virus or bacteria. It would not matter who you contracted the infection from, the result would be the same, generally speaking.

Yes, bacteria and viruses contain genetic material (not always DNA), but you are not obtaining your partner's genetic material with the infection.

So you are saying that when you have a bacteria, fungus or virus, it is not part of the person in question? I know that, that is not part of the question. The question is can dna be swapped during sex. Deseases contain dna, they can affect physical traits and personality, the mystery is solved.

Bad, very bad science! :bugeye:

You said "trade DNA with a black person during sex". That is very poor wording and misleading in the context of the initial post, so I was clarifying what you meant.....

Well thank you for clarifying what I meant. But I'm sure that's not what I meant, so can you please clarify it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thank you for clarifying what I meant. But I'm sure that's not what I meant, so can you please clarify it.
This is a science forum. If you aren't going to take the time to explain yourself clearly and concisely, and in such a manner that people aren't go to misconstrue what you are saying, then perhaps you'd be more comfortable in Free Thoughts or some of the other General Discussion areas where you won't be picked on by "control freaks". I don't like the idea of rampant misinformation due to a misunderstanding.

I'm also not picking on you, specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a science forum. If you aren't going to take the time to explain yourself clearly and concisely, and in such a manner that people aren't go to misconstrue what you are saying, then perhaps you'd be more comfortable in Free Thoughts or some of the other General Discussion areas where you won't be picked on by "control freaks". I don't like the idea of rampant misinformation due to a misunderstanding.

I'm also not picking on you, specifically.

Yes, I agree. It was a very rampant clear and concise control freak...or did I misconstrue that??

Back