Mystery Illness Killing Children

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
WHO finds virus link to Cambodia mystery disease

what is hand/foot/mouth disease?

Health experts working to identify an illness that has killed dozens of children in Cambodia found a link to a virus that causes hand, foot and mouth disease, the UN health agency said on Monday.

At least 52 children aged three months to 11 years have died from the undiagnosed syndrome since mid-April, out of 59 cases, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Cambodian health ministry said, updating the toll.

Recent laboratory results showed "a significant proportion of the samples tested positive for Enterovirus 71 (EV-71)", which causes a lethal strain of hand, foot and mouth disease, the joint statement said...

yeah, but does anyone here have first hand experience/exposure to it. How do so many children die so quickly?

yeah, but does anyone here have first hand experience/exposure to it. How do so many children die so quickly?
Huh??? The death rate is extremely low. The highest I see in those figures is 1% of infected children. In other epidemics it was more like .01%.

This is neither a "mystery illness" nor a great risk. Merely sensationalistic reporting.

yeah sorry. I'm currently reading "The Judas Virus" so when I read " a lethal strain of hand, foot and mouth disease", I got abnormally worried

Hand foot and mouth disease is quite common, thought you had kids Orleander?

My niece had it about a year ago poor kid. And NO it's not related to foot and mouth disease that sheep and cattle get

and what have they said about it?

The cambodian virus is type enterovirus 71...most children die within 24 hours...goes to head, brain, to lungs. The Cambodians never faced anything like this before.

They say the cause could be expired medication.

The cambodian virus is type enterovirus 71...most children die within 24 hours...goes to head, brain, to lungs. The Cambodians never faced anything like this before.

They say the cause could be expired medication.

Says who??? Because that's pure nonsense - there's NO medication that has any effect against the virus. :bugeye:

Says who??? Because that's pure nonsense - there's NO medication that has any effect against the virus. :bugeye:

CNN: the cause of the virus could be from expired medicine itself. steroids for one thing could make harmless infection make more severe.

anyways Cambodia was the region where SARS started

@Asguard: "China isn't south east Asia, its as far NORTH Asia as you can get, singapore, Malaysia, the phillipens and indoneasia are south east Asia"

Ok Smart-*** look at the map and see for yourself Cambodia is right next to Hong-Kong, were the outbreak of SARS has started. Phillipines is right next to it too

That's STILL just nonsense. :bugeye:

"The use of steroids in infectious diseases has always been controversial. It is well known that steroids can reactivate dormant tuberculosis infections.

http://www.johndrullelymefund.org/antibiotics_and_steroids.htm

Steroids reduce the production of inflammatory chemicals in order to minimize tissue damage. Steroids also reduce the activity of the immune system by affecting the function of white blood cells.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/drugs/corticosteroids/hic_corticosteroids.aspx

Some expired medications can become downright dangerous. Tetracyclines, which are “broad-spectrum” antibiotics, are used to treat a wide variety of infections. Doctors may prescribe these drugs to treat eye infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea and other bacterial infections.
The medicine is also used to treat acne, and may be in your medicine cabinet. Tetracyclines become dangerous past their expiration dates and can cause serious damage

http://www.njeffersonnews.com/local...red-medications-can-have-serious-consequences

Last edited:
Back